Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Once again Tayzor you amaze us with your incredible insight for the game and what is said compared to the ever present lack of hockey knowledge and common sense you posses. I didn’t throw shade I in fact asked everyone to stick to the main theme of this site, spitfire hockey. I myself have been critical of what I’m seeing, did u miss that?? I apologize in advance if the mods find offense, but please read what some of the folks here post on a regular basis that the rest of us try to ignore.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Once again Tayzor you amaze us with your incredible insight for the game and what is said compared to the ever present lack of hockey knowledge and common sense you posses. I didn’t throw shade I in fact asked everyone to stick to the main theme of this site, spitfire hockey. I myself have been critical of what I’m seeing, did u miss that?? I apologize in advance if the mods find offense, but please read what some of the folks here post on a regular basis that the rest of us try to ignore.

Haven't we been discussing Spitfire good/bad/indifferent??? Not really sure what you're asking for. If the team was in contention for something I am sure the discussion would be more up your alley.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
“hockeylegend11”
And even with Connor McDavid a generational player they couldn't win a Mem Cup.
Windsor had one in Taylor Hall and won 2.
As for this year Erie just dumped their best point producer an oa ,plus their 2nd leading scorer Poddunyi wont be back next year,98 points between them this year,let's see how they do next year.
Windsor's top 6 point guys will all be back and assuming Afanaseyev shows and by most accounts 99 per cent he will be here,I don't see Erie competing
New nickname for you guys The Surrogates for Spitfire Negativity, be proud you wear it welL

I don’t understand the bashing on Erie.

Our rebuild was much tougher circumstances For starters, after winning the OHL title - Erie returned 3 forwards and 2 defenders from their top 9 forwards/top 4 defense. Windsor managed to return 6 in these categories plus an elite goalie. You returned more which helped the sell off. Also like mentioned, Erie went for it for 4 straight years.. which caused us to trade Neumann AND McShane in 2017. Imagine our position if had the draft picks and we could have held on to 1 or both of those guys

Also incredibly unfair to bash Erie about not winning with McDavid. It’s not easy to win in the ohl. Oshawa had 3 years with Tavares and never won more than 40 games while never making it to the finals. London then grabbed Tavares and they never won a title that year. McDavid won 50+ games with Erie 2 times but he never managed the 1st seed or Hamilton Spectator Trophy.. meaning there were other elite teams in the league (SSM/Oshawa in 2015, and Guelph in 2014). But McDavid was close.

Rebuilds aren’t easy to judge off just records or stats alone. Windsor has some nice young talent and personally I’m not biased like Hockeylegend and like to think that Erie/Windsor right now are in a similar spot in their rebuilds. The question becomes who the hell develops for each team. Great if
Afanaseyev shows up for you. But also biased of you to not know Erie’s situation of maybe swaying 1 of 3 of their top end college prospects.. all of which are at least semi interested in the OHL.

So let’s evalute this early next season.. every rebuild is different and develops at a different pace. We won’t know unto land we can look back in 3-4 years but by then a new cycle of players will be coming in. But right now so many things can change..

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Todays game is two teams near the bottom of the standings.
Should be a pretty even game.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So a week of practice in the books with some rest days. Should be fun tonight. Hope TL keeps the lines the same.
Foudy-Douglas-Cuylle
Purboo-Angle-D'Amico
have been 2 functional lines
Rest of the bottom group you can mix and match as you like.
Going to assume Douglas is in as it has been a week now and nothing on OHL media notes.

I will do some isolation watching on Drysdale tonight. Like his game and we will not see this group at home again this year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The talk of McDavid and how Erie didn't win is absolutely the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.

Erie had 3 seasons with McDavid his underage year of 15, 16, 17. Obviously his rookie year the team wasn't going to be very good since he was the #1 pick. From McDavid's rookie year to 14-15 when they made the OHL Final there were only 4 players from the 12-13 team still on the roster Betz/Pettit/Donnay/Raddysh. To flip nearly 80% of the team in 2 years and have a 17 year old being your rock granted being a transcendent talent is absolutely remarkable. Windsor is rebuilding here and they got a 6th seed, and are most likely looking at similar or lower seed this year. Granted they don't have a the McDavid talent but to put it on Erie/McDavid is ridiculous. Over his final 2 years Erie played in 34 playoff games and won 5 playoff series. Here in Windsor over a 2 year span will we see 34 playoff games and 5 series wins over the next 2 years or so? I know if they do the narrative will change and certain people will be waving their pom poms down McHugh.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
A look at the weekend... Eri-o visits tonight. A game that we must win if the team hopes to avoid heading to the bottom of the tank. After that we visit Kitchener and finally Saginaw. IMHO we need to get 4 out of a possible 6 points. If you wager the odd buck or two you probably pick the Spits tonight and the home teams the next two games.. Hopefully the Spits will beat the odds this weekend..

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
At the end of the season, this weekend could be that period you look back upon and go "if we only had those points." Next weekend, it's a home-and-home with London and a game against Niagara. Then, you've got a northern (erm, Georgian Bay?) road swing. You'll be lucky to get four points... total. Get them while you can.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
At the end of the season, this weekend could be that period you look back upon and go "if we only had those points." Next weekend, it's a home-and-home with London and a game against Niagara. Then, you've got a northern (erm, Georgian Bay?) road swing. You'll be lucky to get four points... total. Get them while you can.
When you said games (points) don't matter in September and October and now we are saying points matter - they all matter. If we had won more games back then ( when you said it did not matter) we would not be in the predicament we are in now. Points you don't get in September are points you still don't have in March.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
When you said games (points) don't matter in September and October and now we are saying points matter - they all matter. If we had won more games back then ( when you said it did not matter) we would not be in the predicament we are in now. Points you don't get in September are points you still don't have in March.
This was exactly what i was going to post. Well maybe not exactly but very similar

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Points matter at all times of the year, but when you're within a few points of teams on either side at this time of year, you can't tell me that the importance doesn't go up. When March comes around and you beat the Rangers or Otters by a couple of points, are you going to look at Sept games or the games this weekend when you were right there with them?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Points matter at all times of the year, but when you're within a few points of teams on either side at this time of year, you can't tell me that the importance doesn't go up. When March comes around and you beat the Rangers or Otters by a couple of points, are you going to look at Sept games or the games this weekend when you were right there with them?
Yes points definitely matter this time of year. I'm just pointing out you posted last fall ( in September or October) that points don't matter. My whole point is points matter all season long - September thru March. So hopefully I made my point and the point got thru to some and now moving off point.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
The talk of McDavid and how Erie didn't win is absolutely the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.

Erie had 3 seasons with McDavid his underage year of 15, 16, 17. Obviously his rookie year the team wasn't going to be very good since he was the #1 pick. From McDavid's rookie year to 14-15 when they made the OHL Final there were only 4 players from the 12-13 team still on the roster Betz/Pettit/Donnay/Raddysh. To flip nearly 80% of the team in 2 years and have a 17 year old being your rock granted being a transcendent talent is absolutely remarkable. Windsor is rebuilding here and they got a 6th seed, and are most likely looking at similar or lower seed this year. Granted they don't have a the McDavid talent but to put it on Erie/McDavid is ridiculous. Over his final 2 years Erie played in 34 playoff games and won 5 playoff series. Here in Windsor over a 2 year span will we see 34 playoff games and 5 series wins over the next 2 years or so? I know if they do the narrative will change and certain people will be waving their pom poms down McHugh.
There is definitively a double-edge sword in the OHL when you have the number pick. You can draft a tremendous player such as McDavid, but by time you can build a competitive team around him, he is an early entry to the NHL. Erie missed the in McDavid's 1st year and the were able to draft Strome. In McDavid's second year they were near the top. Then they signed Debrincat as a free agent and were the favorite to win the league. Oshawa, also a great team that had flown under the radar all season, beat Erie in the final. By the time McDavid, Strome & Debrincat were 18, McDavid was gone. Even without McDavid, Erie was 1 goal from winning the Mem Cup in 17. For anyone to say criticize McDavid and his Otter teammates is ridiculous. McDavid was still the best Junior player that I have ever seen, and that includes Gretzky.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
But those points you lost out on early makes this race closer then it should be. I just look at it more if we didn’t blow this game here or there things could have been totally different. Like when our goalies struggled for that little stretch. If we could have had average goaltending and grabbed a game or 2. That could have made a difference. Or if we would have beat a poor Flint team when we lost to them the first time. It doesn’t really matter to me if we win or not at this point. We win and get to be in playoffs at higher seed. We lose we get a better pick to go with this young core.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits vs Otters ,Inzce starts in goal for Windsor, Murphy in goal for Erie.
Playfair and Garagan remain out
of the lineup. Douglas not suspended
Spits going with 10F,6D,2G tonight

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

For Windsor all points matter.
Either at start or end of season.
They been struggling for points since start of 2012.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Props to Duff for sticking up for himself and not backing down to douglas.

That first goal was the result of physical hockey. Knocked 3 bodies down then DAmico on the doorstep to bang it home. Spits looked great until they scored that 4th goal and got a little sloppy on D.

Hopefully they can sharpen up on D and help Incze who has been playing well!

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
If Staios got suspended for his high hit i’m thinking Allen is going to be gone for a few games. Not something this team needs right now. That was a very dumb move on Allens part.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
As an Erie fan, i've been to a ton of OHL rinks and trips. Of all the rinks, i'd never come back to Windsor. It's a nice arena sure, but we were treated so poorly that it would be hard to make the trip again.

member 71782

As an Erie fan, i've been to a ton of OHL rinks and trips. Of all the rinks, i'd never come back to Windsor. It's a nice arena sure, but we were treated so poorly that it would be hard to make the trip again.

Sorry to hear that. Fans or something else to cause the bad experience?

As for the game.

A better performance but a lot of areas that need to be cleaned up, especially defensively.

Incze, while solid on the first save most of the night gave up a ton of second chances and was left scrambling quite a bit. Good job on his first shutout but it was an adventure at times.

Erie looked like Windsor has on quite a few nights this year, nice to be on the other side tonight.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad