Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Sorry to hear that. Fans or something else to cause the bad experience?

As for the game.

A better performance but a lot of areas that need to be cleaned up, especially defensively.

Incze, while solid on the first save most of the night gave up a ton of second chances and was left scrambling quite a bit. Good job on his first shutout but it was an adventure at times.

Erie looked like Windsor has on quite a few nights this year, nice to be on the other side tonight.

A lot of it was the fans. This was during the Memorial Cup Final and as a group we were upset as any other team would be. It wasn't the result we were looking for, but it didn't call for fans to call us bad names and chant in our faces. It was probably not a fair representation, however, it's what stuck and cause myself and a lot of other Erie fans to not want to return.

member 71782

A lot of it was the fans. This was during the Memorial Cup Final and as a group we were upset as any other team would be. It wasn't the result we were looking for, but it didn't call for fans to call us bad names and chant in our faces. It was probably not a fair representation, however, it's what stuck and cause myself and a lot of other Erie fans to not want to return.

Unfortunately it only tajes one bad experience to leave a permanent bad impression.

Reactions: spitsfan24

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

That's unfortunate. Windsor has a lot of really good fans and hopefully you do come back one day.

As for the game...

Pros:

- Incze was a rock. While he's not the most technically sound goaltender I've seen, he stops the puck. That's all that matters. Great performance and it's good to know he has that in him.
- Cuylle and Foudy were on fire. They're going to be really fun to watch for a long time.
- The effort was a full 60-minutes and one of the better all-around efforts of the season.
- Now people know why Douglas is good on the youngster line. Yes, he sat for five, but how many are going to want to deal with him? His first fight as a Spitfire and I don't think many were upset.
- Speaking of which - two fights in the same night. I sure didn't hear any groans from the crowd. Whether it's liked or not, give the fans goals, good D, and a fight or two, and clearly people are happy.

Cons:

- While Allen had a fight, he also got a 5/GM for elbowing. I didn't see the hit but I'd imagine a suspension is coming.
- tough to find many cons in a 5-0 game... let's be honest.

Edit: Point to add - MacDougall went unnoticed tonight, which is unfortunate. I'd even say he looked like he didn't want to be there. There was no smiles from anyone and even a few jabs/pushes. I was kind of expecting the opposite reaction.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits with the 5-0 win over Erie, had 8 forwards out of 10 who registered 1 point or more,would have been 9,had they not taken the assist away from Frasca on the last goal,originally given to Foudy,changed to Douglas giving him 2 on the night plus a dandy scrap,
Foudy got the primary assist giving him 4 assists on the night.
Cuylle added a goal and an assist, while Kyle McDonald also added an assist,giving the 3-16 year old forwards 7 points combined on the night. Impressive.
D'amico and Purboo also scored for Windsor on this night.
Only forwards who didn't get a point were Chase Campbell and Jordan Frasca.
Interestingly none of the 6 D got a point tonight.
Nice to see goalie Colton Inzce have a strong game his 4th straight solid performance.
He has only allowed 6 goals in his last 10 periods of play.
Spits are the 1st team in the league to have 3 goalies from their roster register a shutout this season.

Reactions: OHLTG

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
and crickets from the usual.. maybe
team needs to fight more.. both fights seemed to be a big pick me up for the team. macdougal looked disinterested pretty much the entire game.
it's one game move on to the next.. hopefully they can keep some momentum going

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Huh. I've been to Windsor a few times. When they've beat my team and lost to my team and never had any issues. I was there for an MC game but it was Erie-Saint John. Not where I'd expect to have issues but a winning team always brings out the fair-weather idiots.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor wins. Good they beat a team lower than them in standings.
Windsor was the aggressive team between the two teams. On offence alot.
Missed the net a lot though many times during the game. Accuracy was off.
Good to see a shutout. Congrats. He had a kinda easy nite. Was only really busy when it was self inflicted when he played around with the puck. Clean that up.
Nice goals by the cullye Douglas foudy line.
Again boka was on the pp. Dumb decision coach. No reason he should be.
I hope Allen gets suspended for his elbow. So dirty. No need. No one to blame but himself for selfish play.
I understand the 1st fight. But why the 2nd? What was the ourpose?
Off to rangers where another winnable game. Points matter anytime of the year not just now even though it was posted different.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Sorry for your experience.
Don't worry a lot of other teams fans don't return to Windsor either for another game. Lol

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Windsor wins. Good they beat a team lower than them in standings.
Windsor was the aggressive team between the two teams. On offence alot.
Missed the net a lot though many times during the game. Accuracy was off.
Good to see a shutout. Congrats. He had a kinda easy nite. Was only really busy when it was self inflicted when he played around with the puck. Clean that up.
Nice goals by the cullye Douglas foudy line.
Again boka was on the pp. Dumb decision coach. No reason he should be.
I hope Allen gets suspended for his elbow. So dirty. No need. No one to blame but himself for selfish play.
I understand the 1st fight. But why the 2nd? What was the ourpose?
Off to rangers where another winnable game. Points matter anytime of the year not just now even though it was posted different.

Spits go 1-3 on the PP last night,and who gets an assist on the lone PP goal Boka.
He has 6 points in his last 7 games 3 of each,8 points in his last 11.
Before this stretch I would agree,lately he has been alot better,no problem for me putting him n 2nd unit and because Spits use a forward at the point usually on each unit you need 8 forwards,and right now he is 7th best in numbers lately upfront.
Doubt you will agree,you cant change rigid thinking.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Game notes - Did I mention I like the Foudy-Douglas- Cuylle line! Having said that have to give TL some credit. He has kept his top 2 lines intact for the last few weeks and that is really starting to pay off.
Incze had a good game - made some crazy good saves but had some major puck luck as well. Have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good fits in here real well. Congrats on the Shut out.

Erie for a big game like last night just looked out of sinc. Losing their best player may be having an impact on them. Spits are well aware of that issue ( DiPietro).

Sean Allen - dumb play - enough said.

Tonight another big night as it also represents a 4 point night. Effort level on par with last night and Spits should be ok. After tonight the schedule gods have dealt us a tough 6 games. Points are very important so hopefully we do not leave 2 points on the table.

Still hard for me to see a bad outcome in any of our last games. We win it is fun, we lose and we get a higher draft pick. We get to watch Foudy and Cuylle - this is a win-win-win for me.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Last Night’s game...
After a slow start the Spitfires pulled away from the Otters and came away with a 5-0 win. Getting straight to the reality of the situation and skipping all the s*its and giggles, this was a win over a short handed non playoff bound team. The crowd of 4000( announced) was probably much closer to 3400. Given the weather conditions that was to be expected. The game itself was a sloppy effort featuring poor passing and give always by both defenses.
The Spits will need to play a much better game tonight in Kitchener or they shalt be hammered.
Two fights early in the game kept the fans entertained and awake. The exodus of the remaining fans began before the mid point of the 3rd and the place was virtually empty for the 3 star presentations.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
At first i did not like the Douglas fight. I was worried they would put Boka up with the kids. Once i saw it was McDonald it didn’t bother me anymore. The kids play well together when given the chance it seems. Did not like the Allen fight one bit. I know some of you will moan and groan before you even read the whole reason. Anyways i don’t like it when guys try to fight and for the majority of the fight they tuck their head into their chest so there is nothing to punch but the helmet. Either fight like a man or don’t drop the gloves. From the parts i saw the team played really well and Incze is kinda like hasek it seems. It won’t look pretty but he will find a way to stop the puck.
Is there any reason why this team will not call up a player here and there so they aren’t constantly under the limit for dressing players??

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Spits go 1-3 on the PP last night,and who gets an assist on the lone PP goal Boka.
He has 6 points in his last 7 games 3 of each,8 points in his last 11.
Before this stretch I would agree,lately he has been alot better,no problem for me putting him n 2nd unit and because Spits use a forward at the point usually on each unit you need 8 forwards,and right now he is 7th best in numbers lately upfront.
Doubt you will agree,you cant change rigid thinking.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.
U wont ever change your thinking either.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.
U wont ever change your thinking either.

Actually I did,as I pointed out,based on Boka's previous play I agreed with you,the fact that he has improved lately over 11 games,made me more open to change,reward solid play,game situations etc.
Should also add,something I am sure you are not aware of is that in the last 7 games where the Spits are 5-2,the PP is operating at a rate of 27.2%,dont think his presence on the PP has hurt.

Last edited:

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
That Foudy-Cuylle-Douglas line is something else. I genuinely get exited whenever they step into the ice because Foudy and Cuylle are so dynamic. Then you have Douglas being the dad of that line. Although earlier in the season it was foggy on what this team was, it’s clear now. We should improve next year, I mean we have been playing MUCH better since they cut off the excess weight we had on the roster. Then We should challenge for a title in 2020-21 if Cuylle/Foudy don’t make their NHL teams.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Actually I did,as I pointed out,based on Boka's previous play I agreed with you,the fact that he has improved lately over 11 games,made me more open to change,reward solid play,game situations etc.
Should also add,something I am sure you are not aware of is that in the last 7 games where the Spits are 5-2,the PP is operating at a rate of 27.2%,dont think his presence on the PP has hurt.

R u applying that because of boka on the pp it is better?
Haha

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
R u applying that because of boka on the pp it is better?
Haha

No,actually stating the PP has not been affected negatively when he has been employed there recently and the numbers bare that out.
And while it is unlikely to happen,if the Spits were to main a 26-27% PP
they would be amongst the leaders in that category. Last week in fact Kitchener was at 26% for the year, 3rd best yet are in 8th place.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I agree with Teflon in that I didn't like how the Allen fight played out in terms of head location. It was tougher to see from my spot, but on TV replay, it was clear that Henry tucked his chin in and was trying to avoid any contact at all. It's not the way to do it at all. Douglas' fight was much more decent, in that resepct.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Sorry to hear that. Fans or something else to cause the bad experience?

As for the game.

A better performance but a lot of areas that need to be cleaned up, especially defensively.

Incze, while solid on the first save most of the night gave up a ton of second chances and was left scrambling quite a bit. Good job on his first shutout but it was an adventure at times.

Erie looked like Windsor has on quite a few nights this year, nice to be on the other side tonight.

I enjoyed the first 2 periods from a suite then had to jet. It was a good performance. I am still surprised the D gives forwards so much room to gain the zone. It will be interesting how the next 12 months go or so. The atmosphere is pretty dull announced crowd at 4000 I would be surprised if there were 3000 in the place though. Sign of the times of course but the interest seems to be quite low.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I agree with Teflon in that I didn't like how the Allen fight played out in terms of head location. It was tougher to see from my spot, but on TV replay, it was clear that Henry tucked his chin in and was trying to avoid any contact at all. It's not the way to do it at all. Douglas' fight was much more decent, in that resepct.
I didn’t see a teflon post about allen fight. He might not be happy if you confused him with me lol. He was also lucky cause it looked like he tried pushing linesman away when they stepped in. It a no no putting hands on officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->