Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
:GWC:

In all seriousness, I don't think the net gain will be realized until for a few more seasons. They were intended to help build towards the next title run, right?

Obviously for the future lol

Im just curious to the actual net returns be it players/and or picks.

When is the next title run in your opinion? Based on assets acquired last year in the big sell off.
Vilardi/Day/Brown/Luchuk/McE easily>than DiPi in returns so the major part of rebuild was started last year. DiPi return was Meh considering rumors.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'll have to look up the actual returns when I get a minute tonight.

While DiP return wasn't record-breaking, the rebuild didn't "officially" start until he was gone. When is the next title run? I'd say 2020-21; that gives us this season for playoffs, next season to win a series or two, then make the run after that.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I'll have to look up the actual returns when I get a minute tonight.

While DiP return wasn't record-breaking, the rebuild didn't "officially" start until he was gone. When is the next title run? I'd say 2020-21; that gives us this season for playoffs, next season to win a series or two, then make the run after that.

Cmon now. You are better than that. The rebuild started last year, "officially"
You dont move that much talent (2 NHL1st rd picks, top OHL OA, exceptional status player.....) And not say the rebuild hasnt started lol.

Easily the returns and value to a team of Day/Luchuk/Vilardi/Brown/McE far outweigh DiPi. Regardless of how important he was to Windsor on/off ice, those 5 moved the year prior collectively>>>DiPi.

I get he was a fan fav. Heck I posted on his draft year, pre season Spits fans would love him and got a good one, but cmon

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Cmon now. You are better than that. The rebuild started last year, "officially"
You dont move that much talent (2 NHL1st rd picks, top OHL OA, exceptional status player.....) And not say the rebuild hasnt started lol.

How about I meet you halfway - the rebuild "started" when they dealt Luchuk, but the process to complete the rebuild lasted until DiPietro was dealt. It wasn't done at one deadline.

I'm also not disagreeing at all that the value of the other players was greater than the value we got for DiPietro.

We lost:

Luchuk
Vilardi
Day
Brown
McEneny
DiPietro

We gained:

Douglas
Ladd
Afanasyev
Sag 2nd 2018 (picked Kyle McDonald)
Sag 3rd 2018 (picked Dylan Robinson)
Kgn 2nd 2019 (went to Ptbo in Cuylle deal)
Ott 2nd 2019
Kitch 5th 2019
Flint 2nd 2020
Miss 2nd 2020
Kgn 3rd 2020 (Cuylle deal) (plus three conditionals if Vilardi plays in OHL)
Sby 2nd 2021
Ldn 2nd 2021
Flint 4th 2021
Bar 2nd 2022 (Cuylle deal)
Kgn 2nd 2022
Ott 2nd 2022
Ott 2nd 2023 (plus three conditionals)
Kgn 2nd 2024
Bar 3rd 2024
Kgn 2nd 2025

That's as far as I can tell right now.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
7 losses in 11 would make them 4-7 which is 3 games under .500 ironically the same record that they had before that slump. So if you weren't happy with 4-7 why would you be happy with 19-19-2-1? Maybe it just comes down to a roster that was put together that was too reliant on DiPietro and they haven't been able to compensate in other areas since the trade. D has been slow to develop, the forwards even the young guys have been bright spots it hasn't been enough to compensate for the D. Shall we talk about the goaltending and 1st round import in Piroinen who has been passed now by a 19 year old who had appeared in 51 games?? For me at this point it's all about goaltending now because DiPietro covered up a lot of warts and now the warts are showing for all to see. There isn't a lot to play for the rest of the year but Piroinen can start showing signs of being real good I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel. If we are still talking about goaltending being a question going into next year then there should be a fair bit of apprehension.

How was Sudbury when the Finn left for the World Juniors.
They went 0-6-1,allowing 27 goals in the process,their best player goes and they crumble like a rock,why because as you too many warts,cant have it both ways,most important position in the game,and if others dont step up its usually trouble.
Did I expect 8th no,but then I didn't expect Piironen to stumble, and I didn't expect Starikov, Morgan and Macdougall to regress either.
There is not alot of separation between 8th and 5th right now,and if its 8th fine I will take the better pick spots in the draft,like last year,unlikely the 1st 4 teams will lose in the 1st round this year,last year Saginaw got blitzed in 4 by the Soo,London got swept by Owen Sound,and they finished 5th,and we know Windsor loses in 6 to Sarnia.
I have been wrong before,so have you,
Still think things will be fine moving ahead,like the youth on this team,others like Sarnia,Kitchener, Owen Sound need catching up,and the the top 4 all are losing significant talent next year.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It's in the context of a rebuild if people bring up the past I will too
My preference is to start a new season with no talk about the past,last year,7 years,10 years,but there are those who do,so I will every time.

I guess its easy to as spits been in a rebuild every year since 2012.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
They went 0-6-1,allowing 27 goals in the process,their best player goes and they crumble like a rock,why because as you too many warts,cant have it both ways,most important position in the game,and if others dont step up its usually trouble.
Did I expect 8th no,but then I didn't expect Piironen to stumble, and I didn't expect Starikov, Morgan and Macdougall to regress either.
There is not alot of separation between 8th and 5th right now,and if its 8th fine I will take the better pick spots in the draft,like last year,unlikely the 1st 4 teams will lose in the 1st round this year,last year Saginaw got blitzed in 4 by the Soo,London got swept by Owen Sound,and they finished 5th,and we know Windsor loses in 6 to Sarnia.
Still think things will be fine moving ahead,like the youth on this team,others like Sarnia,Kitchener, Owen Sound need catching up,and the the top 4 all are losing significant talent next year.

Maybe the top 4 teams can recoup playes n pics to make them good next year too. Has happened previous seasons. Windsor hasn't gotten over that hump yet though.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Maybe the top 4 teams can recoup playes n pics to make them good next year too. Has happened previous seasons. Windsor hasn't gotten over that hump yet though.
Windsor did in 2015 and in 2016,with a National Championship, that is a successful rebuild.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So my 2 cents - When did the rebuild start, When will the Spits win a playoff round, When will the Spits win another championship, When will the Spits win another Memorial Cup? All really good questions to which there is no real answer. What these topics do thou is enable the opportunity for lots of discussion on this board. What I really hope for is some fresh new discussion instead of the same "facts" and "opinions" being used over and over to justify both sides of the ledger. There is no right answer here so at least offer up something fresh that is worth reading. Carry on folks.

Reactions: aresknights

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor did in 2015 and in 2016,with a National Championship, that is a successful rebuild.

And we know how windsor got to that championship dont we? Lol
Pretty easy to get to the dance when u win the bid. Without winning the bid they wouldnt of had a sniff at the championship. Havent had a sniff in long time.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I don't worry about the priority draft position. We got the 3rd and 10th overall picks last year albeit with trades for #3. Still this team is mirroring awfully close to last years team. The Spits need their systems gutted. Most would agree the core talent on this team are mostly offensive minded. Even our D. TL answer-play defensive style hockey. How's that been working for us? I'll give him credit for sticking with his systems, it show how thick some people are. If it's broke don't fix it mentality.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Sudbury is 3rd in the conference you're talking about 7 games for them. I am talking about a 52 game schedule for the Spits to this point. You're the one who brought up 11 games. You're also the one that has repeatedly said you only worry about Windsor.

Putting 8th at the feet of Starikov/Morgan/MacDougall is as petty and weak as it gets. Blaming a team for being in 8th because players no longer with the franchise aren't there is extremely petty and lame imo. How about putting blame on the players that are actually there who have a far larger impact on this team going forward than guys that are long gone?

This is the problem you can be satisfied that they get 8th because of draft position. If the Spitfire players can't find enough within themselves and in that room to pass average/mediocre teams. I think that speaks volumes about their competitive spirit. It's a hell of a lot harder to win games than lose games. If it's tough sledding right now against these type of teams what's going to happen when the rubber hits the road against the real tough teams or god forbid the franchise is expected to win more games and win playoff series? This team has been playing with house money for the last 1.5 years and this is what you get. When you absolve the team of responsibility find losing acceptable that's what you're going to get.

Reactions: windsor7

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Be nice if WR and scouts can find a FA or 2 in next couple seasons to help out like they did with Digi, Chatfield and McEneny. That seems to be one area they haven’t hit on recently.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I have no trouble with the way the team has played the last 3 or 4 games,most except you would say Spits easily could be 3-1 in that stretch instead of 1-2-1,including the loss vs Niagara at home,before the 3 game road trip,Sudbury the only deserving loss in imo,course even they couldn't beat Windsor without the Finn,when they played earlier here,but I digress.
Seeing as you think you have all the answers ,why does Dipietro have an average of 2.82 in Ottawa,..896 save percentage, while in Windsor he was 2 . 32,with a save percentage of .920
and in his last 12 games here he was 8-3,goals against .206,save percentage of .940,and Windsor was trending up.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I have no trouble with the way the team has played the last 3 or 4 games,most except you would say Spits easily could be 3-1 in that stretch instead of 1-2-1,including the loss vs Niagara at home,before the 3 game road trip,Sudbury the only deserving loss in imo,course even they couldn't beat Windsor without the Finn,when they played earlier here,but I digress.
Seeing as you think you have all the answers ,why does Dipietro have an average of 2.82 in Ottawa,..896 save percentage, while in Windsor he was 2 . 32,with a save percentage of .920
and in his last 12 games here he was 8-3,goals against .206,save percentage of .940,and Windsor was trending up.

Why does dipietro stats matter?
He is not on this team?
I thought u only cared about windsor?

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
I honestly believe that the rebuild started after DiPi was traded to Ottawa. The reason being that DiPi won games for us we should not have won!! Bailed the team out on countless occasions. Since DiPi's departure it has been an interesting ride to say the least. Lot's of positives.....but a ton of negatives. A lot of things have been exposed, I could go on and on, but I am sure everyone on here know's the issues. The biggest standout for me is the coaches!! TL & Company are not the guys to steer this ship so to speak. I am very curious to see what happens in the off season.

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Be nice if WR and scouts can find a FA or 2 in next couple seasons to help out like they did with Digi, Chatfield and McEneny. That seems to be one area they haven’t hit on recently.

You must have forgot about forward Jake Smith who was a free agent from the Q,who scored 20 goals and 28 assists last year, 3rd leading point getter.
Also Igor Larionov another free agent from the Q,started off last year hurt,got healthy for the last 17 games,plus 3 games playoffs,had 23 points in those 21 games,major reason for Purboo and Smith scoring in the playoffs,he got hurt in game 3,and when did,Purboo and Smith suffered on the score sheet.
Agree a free agent signing would be nice,no doubt they are looking.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I honestly believe that the rebuild started after DiPi was traded to Ottawa. The reason being that DiPi won games for us we should not have won!! Bailed the team out on countless occasions. Since DiPi's departure it has been an interesting ride to say the least. Lot's of positives.....but a ton of negatives. A lot of things have been exposed, I could go on and on, but I am sure everyone on here know's the issues. The biggest standout for me is the coaches!! TL & Company are not the guys to steer this ship so to speak. I am very curious to see what happens in the off season.

The only reason I hate to use the DiPietro trade started the rebuild was at this point in time the Spits have nothing to show for him. Not a single roster player came back. Everything they got in their sell off came last year. I am not a huge believer in that everything can just get solved in one offseason. If there are this many issues they should just pull the plug now, let Smith coach the last 18 games and playoffs and broom them all. Of course you can wait until the end and broom them all then. Still can't figure out why the PP has been booty for well over a year now.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
You must have forgot about forward Jake Smith who was a free agent from the Q,who scored 20 goals and 28 assists last year, 3rd leading point getter.
Also Igor Larionov another free agent from the Q,started off last year hurt,got healthy for the last 17 games,plus 3 games playoffs,had 23 points in those 21 games,major reason for Purboo and Smith scoring in the playoffs,he got hurt in game 3,and when did,Purboo and Smith suffered on the score sheet.
Agree a free agent signing would be nice,no doubt they are looking.
I’m was meaning for more then a year. Chatfield was a 3 year guy and Digi a 4 year guy with McEneny 1 1/2 years before being traded. Larionov only lasted 40 games and Smith a 1 year guy so that’s why they weren’t included. Those kinda finds could give the team a nice little boost

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I’m was meaning for more then a year. Chatfield was a 3 year guy and Digi a 4 year guy with McEneny 1 1/2 years before being traded. Larionov only lasted 40 games and Smith a 1 year guy so that’s why they weren’t included. Those kinda finds could give the team a nice little boost

There was one guy local guy I wanted them to bring in last year. He's in the Q now and doing pretty well. Unfortunately it didn't happen.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
The only reason I hate to use the DiPietro trade started the rebuild was at this point in time the Spits have nothing to show for him. Not a single roster player came back. Everything they got in their sell off came last year. I am not a huge believer in that everything can just get solved in one offseason. If there are this many issues they should just pull the plug now, let Smith coach the last 18 games and playoffs and broom them all. Of course you can wait until the end and broom them all then. Still can't figure out why the PP has been booty for well over a year now.

I agree that not everything can be solved in the off season, but one thing for sure is there needs to be major changes. One thing that I am afraid of is WR giving Smith the head coach position. I just don't think Smith is the guy for the job. Sometimes teams promote from within but I am really hoping this does not happen. I honestly think it is at the stage were if the Spit's were to lose 3 or 4 straight.....TL does get canned, I know that is one hell of a thing to say, and I have no inside source but for whatever reason I can see it happening. As for the PP imho, there is a real lack of communication and chemistry on the PP. Spits do not do a very good job of creating space, often over passing and not taking their chances. Often times they are one defenseman back on the point, with bad passing, positioning, bad entry Spits turn the puck over a lot. They often look like they are in panic mode, trying to do too much. It falls on the coaches, as they can not get through to these kids, they are not absorbing what is being taught be it on the ice or video. Like it has been said on here many times, the constant line juggling and players on the PP that should not be out there....it's almost like TL is just grasping for pure puck luck at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad