Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So you comparing last 5 years where London was in 2 memorial cups and won 1 and won a OHL title and won 7 playoff series. That seems like a unicorn compared to Windsor of 1 memorial cup and no playoff wins. To me that seems like a big difference

You really want to bring up your hosted Mem Cup in 2014,not a good topic for you to discuss, a Mem Cup is a Mem Cup win no matter,you have 1 we have 1,3 series wins in the 2 years before and after nothing to brag or compare about.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
Even if we're a year further away than what we wanted, the comment was that negative talk was to "compensate" for the positive outlook. That's basically saying people need to find a reason to be negative.
No that's you basically saying that. What I'm saying is if you continuously post how great things are with the team, that the fans (which I'm one of) that don't think everything is sunshine and rainbows will want to express their concerns as well.

As for the drafts...

2015 - Vilardi, DiPietro, Carter, Boka, Purboo, Stevenson
2016 - Corcoran, Angle, Playfair, Baier (and we didn't have a 1st)
2017 - Staios, Henault, D'Amico, Frasca, with Brimmer/Andrews still a possibility
2018 - Foudy, McDonald, Robinson

Even if you take 3-4 players per draft, and have those players be successful OHL talents, we've done well ove the last four drafts.
I thought you said successful ohl talents. So 3 in 2016, 4 in 2017 and 3 in 2018. Is that really good? Idk there's 20 players on the team and the average player plays 3-4 yrs so shouldn't you be getting about 5 a year on average just to stay afloat.
I will say ohltg that in recent weeks I have found you more open to the fact everything isnt perfect and there are issues. Is there a lot to look forward to yes. I enjoy watching players like D'Amico, Henault, and Ladd develop and the 2 kids have been lights out. I'm even trying to be open to looking at Staois more as a player and where he's at and less as a 1st rounder because its not his fault he was picked there. That's on WR and the scouting staff.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I’m tired of hearing about the sanctions and how they hurt us or that we didn’t have pick due to sanctions. Portland got hit harder then us and yet they never had season under 75 points. I know leagues are different but losing picks in first 5 rounds in 2013 and 1st in 14,15,16 and 17.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
You really want to bring up your hosted Mem Cup in 2014,not a good topic for you to discuss, a Mem Cup is a Mem Cup win no matter,you have 1 we have 1,3 series wins in the 2 years before and after nothing to brag or compare about.
Why don’t you include the playoff wins that happened when London won OHL title. Or don’t those count? So now we are using the years That London didn’t do well. And can’t use going to 2 Memorial Cups cause they hosted one. But it ok to use the one Windsor hosted because they won? Plus windsor that’s exactly like taking the last 8 years of no playoff wins and not including the 3 years of success from 09-11.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I’m tired of hearing about the sanctions and how they hurt us or that we didn’t have pick due to sanctions. Portland got hit harder then us and yet they never had season under 75 points. I know leagues are different but losing picks in first 5 rounds in 2013 and 1st in 14,15,16 and 17.

Facts are facts,losing 2- 1st rounders in 4 years,and still winning a cup is impressive no matter how u cut it.
Yes the sanctions hurt,still won anyways.

member 71782

Regarding TL still dont think that's the issue,if it was their record prior to trade offs would reflect it.
Blaming coaches is easy,heck there were those who didn't like Thompson and we saw how that worked out.
Plus he got hired by NHL team Vegas to lead their AHL team and got them to 1st place finish in his 1st year.

While you may not think TL is an issue or the issue he's still the one making the decisions and sending players over the boards during the game. If players aren't producing but still getting top line minutes in roles that aren't suited to their game who's that on if not Letowski?

Thompson, was not impressed with him. He took an offensively minded and gifted team and had them focus on defense with very little offense to their game. IMO he cost Windsor games and payoff positioning with the style he employed. Glad he's had success since moving on but let's face it, for 44 days the whole team and organization had help, brought in help or helped out to get that team ready and while it was smart you saw the team's style change in those 44 days to a more offensive style without sacrificing responsible defense. That's one thing I was going on about that year and yes, I thought Letowski would be better going forward then Thompson if hadn't moved on. Unfortunately that isn't becoming the case but I certainly wouldn't want to see Thompson come back. Similar issues, not using the talent they have to maximize the various talents available.

Reactions: Cherrydon

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
They were as good as the 4 teams prior to all of them going for it,4-1 vs Saginaw, 3-0 vs Guelph, 1-2 vs London,and that 2nd loss here could have gone either way, 1--1-1 vs SSM prior to trades,once trade line passed all 4 going for it Windsor not,and all 4 will lose more significant talent then Windsor when all said and done.
Sorry but they weren’t better then the Soo or London and probably a bit below Saginaw once they fire coach and got their goaltending going.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Why don’t you include the playoff wins that happened when London won OHL title. Or don’t those count? So now we are using the years That London didn’t do well. And can’t use going to 2 Memorial Cups cause they hosted one. But it ok to use the one Windsor hosted because they won? Plus windsor that’s exactly like taking the last 8 years of no playoff wins and not including the 3 years of success from 09-11.

You want to stick up for London go ahead,still say 3 playoff series wins in the 4 years,2 before and after they won Mem Cup is hardly reloading as some smug London fans think.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Listen, I hate London like most people do lol!!! But it’s hard to negate what’s been going on. Lol yes hunter is still a choke machine and overbearing BUT he’s got the team in a place most fans would like their jr team at and produces nhl caliber talent at a higher rate than us right now. Yes their a unicorn right now, will that fade? Of course. WR has proven he can GM pretty damn well. He’s dealt with sanctions, dealt with being on Branches poop list, had to do some things that hurt the teams future by goin after the last cup and frankly he’s had some higher than normal player issues. So truly you look at it from that aspect and he’s done a pretty damn good job! This coming year will be a tell for sure. How does he fix all that’s broken? Big job but not insurmountable. I will not play the stats game. Am I generally happy with the team? Yep. Frankly that’s all I care about. Don’t care what others think. Maybe he’s not bringing players in because he’s gonna need the assets this coming year. We don’t know, hell he probably doesn’t know, but he’s smart enough to bank when he can. My limited access and background tells me he’s working on a big off season already. Only time will tell if he’s smart and lucky!! Gonna need both.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
You want to stick up for London go ahead,still say 3 playoff series wins in the 4 years,2 before and after they won Mem Cup is hardly reloading as some smug London fans think.
I don’t know why you hate London soooo much. I can’t stand them but my god. How did they not reload??? They had 2 years where they win a playoff round each year. Then the win OHL title. Oh wait the 2 years before your last 5 years they had back to back OHL titles so those 2 years in between would be known as a retool. I thought someone with your knowledge would have know that. So then the won OHL title which doesn’t count for playoff wins and they have 1 series win in past 2 years and here they are back atop the league ready to make another run. Yeah that doesn’t seem like a unicorn situation at all. When was the last time Windsor was making a run for OHL title. 17 doesn’t count cause you won’t count 16 for London.

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Man, oh man, did I come back to a mess here LOL

No that's you basically saying that. What I'm saying is if you continuously post how great things are with the team, that the fans (which I'm one of) that don't think everything is sunshine and rainbows will want to express their concerns as well.

This "sunshine and rainbows" thing is weird. Nobody posts that this team is pure sunshine and rainbows. There are a LOT more "hmmm" arond here than "this is going to be okay", though.

I will say ohltg that in recent weeks I have found you more open to the fact everything isnt perfect and there are issues. Is there a lot to look forward to yes. I enjoy watching players like D'Amico, Henault, and Ladd develop and the 2 kids have been lights out. I'm even trying to be open to looking at Staois more as a player and where he's at and less as a 1st rounder because its not his fault he was picked there. That's on WR and the scouting staff.

The whole Staios thing feels like high expectations are hurting again. Not as much as they hurt with Bateman, but we kind of expected Staios to be an offensive producer and that's not the case. I'm like others in that I'd like to see him up front to utilize his speed and creativity a bit more.

One thing about experience - currently, the Spitfires sit 12th with overall games played. Now, for me, "experience" isn't just putting a guy into the lineup and, poof, you have an experienced team. If you took away Garagan/Campbell's GP, you're at 2008 GP for the team, which is 19th place and a mere 18 GP ahead of Barrie.

You can have experienced guys on a team, like Campbell and Garagan are. That's one reason Allen was brought on, too. However, I'd argue the team's "experience", which is more important. They are one of the most inexperienced clubs in the league and the stats show that.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
They were as good as the 4 teams prior to all of them going for it,4-1 vs Saginaw, 3-0 vs Guelph, 1-2 vs London,and that 2nd loss here could have gone either way, 1--1-1 vs SSM prior to trades,once trade line passed all 4 going for it Windsor not,and all 4 will lose more significant talent then Windsor when all said and done.

love your stats that u massage to make it look really good.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

agreed.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

because it doesn't go with those great stats used when massaged to make things look rosey the last 10 years.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
You are welcome, stats aren't false, I guess they are as unwelcome and convincing to you as your abject negativity is to me.
Oh well.

well when u only use the stats that makes things rosey.
but ignore all the other stats because they might not look good every time.
I just look at the whole picture not just pick and use whatever stats u want.

Reactions: Snippit

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
So any prediction on how may points this weekend spits could get?
id hope for 4 points.
That would be nice to see.
At least they don't have to play 3 games in 3 days.
We don't need to see that excuse again.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
it's too bad some chose to use this platform to score on personal agendas.
you miss a couple days to come back and see the same arguments from the past are still trying to be hashed out.

Reactions: Teflon and OHLTG

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
While you may not think TL is an issue or the issue he's still the one making the decisions and sending players over the boards during the game. If players aren't producing but still getting top line minutes in roles that aren't suited to their game who's that on if not Letowski?

Thompson, was not impressed with him. He took an offensively minded and gifted team and had them focus on defense with very little offense to their game. IMO he cost Windsor games and payoff positioning with the style he employed. Glad he's had success since moving on but let's face it, for 44 days the whole team and organization had help, brought in help or helped out to get that team ready and while it was smart you saw the team's style change in those 44 days to a more offensive style without sacrificing responsible defense. That's one thing I was going on about that year and yes, I thought Letowski would be better going forward then Thompson if hadn't moved on. Unfortunately that isn't becoming the case but I certainly wouldn't want to see Thompson come back. Similar issues, not using the talent they have to maximize the various talents available.

If we are to give credit to the Spits for drafting
Angle
Corcoran
Playfair
Frasca
D'Amico
Foudy
Henault
Purboo
Acquiring Cuylle/Ladd

That's half a roster yet we are seeing them win 21 of 52 games. Either we are overrating the draft success stories or there's something else that's wrong.

Agreed with Thompson much of the time he was seemingly trying to coach for the Memorial Cup instead of the 68 game season and playoffs. Agreed this isn't a situation to pine for Thompson returning.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I love it when people on this site gang up on people,or say things that aren't true.But hey carry on

You hate people ganging up on people but constantly want to pick fights with others???

tumblr_nphth1l1A21rdn65io1_500.gif

Reactions: aresknights
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: