Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
With what we know now about brain injuries and the recent tragic tales of hockey enforcer suicides if you want to cheerlead teenaged boys punching each other in the head on a public message board - don't expect folks with a different opinion to just ignore your comments and not challenge them which then could be seen as condoning it.

Having been around the fighting community for the last 15+ years, I know what goes on. I've seen it. There's a large difference between "kick his a$$" off a staged fight that's "feel like going?".."sure".... and "good on him for standing up for a teammate!" I have a huge appreciation for how it all unfolds and that's why I support (as opposed to "cheer") the situations.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Having been around the fighting community for the last 15+ years, I know what goes on. I've seen it. There's a large difference between "kick his a$$" off a staged fight that's "feel like going?".."sure".... and "good on him for standing up for a teammate!" I have a huge appreciation for how it all unfolds and that's why I support (as opposed to "cheer") the situations.

serious question.
u have not cheered a fight in the last 7 to 10 years on the ice?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
They ignoring goes both ways. Nobody needs to comment on a post they feel is trolling but yet they do it anyways
Really what it amounts to is enabling - As long as someone has an audience they will continue. People that respond to this garbage are just as much part of the problem. I have chosen to use the ignore button. I see lots of 1 sided conversations but it is far better than getting riled up and becomeing one of the enablers.

Reactions: Teflon

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
In the distant past, yes. Last several years, its support, knowing what goes on behind scenes. I dont go "woohoo fight!"

So u didn't know the harmful things before due to fighting? That why u cheered?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Rayzor

I will address your last comment average age doesn't reflect experience ,so yes this is a very young team,and explains most things that go around,looking forward to the future.
Noticed you didn't think the 8-3-1 record wasn't impressive shocking not.

At the deadline last year they were 22-13-3

The remainder of the season 10-17-3

This year they are 14-13-2-1 this year

Let's see how they do after moving DiPietro. They returned 70% of their roster coming into this year. Over this season and since last year's deadline they're 24-30-5-1 that's a pretty good sample size. I mean maybe it's not as good as your smaller sample size of 8-3-1 but to each their own. You hate the larger sample size because it doesn't suit your narrative. Why would we look at 12 games instead of the past 60 or so games when they have had a lot of the similar guys in the lineup?

Reactions: aresknights

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So before that you didn't think boxers suffered from cte and brain injuries and thought it wouldn't happen with hockey players?

Back then, when I was much younger, no, it didn't really cross my mind.

Why would we look at 12 games instead of the past 60 or so games when they have had a lot of the similar guys in the lineup?

I'd imagine, with a long break between games which is used for self-improvement, the second-half of last season is a lesser indication of how this team could be compared to the first-half of this season. In theory, you could go into the 100+ game range for a sample, but we know that players improve/change over the long-haul. If this group is the same in Feb/Mar as they were last Feb/Mar, there's an issue.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Why don’t we ban all contact sports??? Seriously, after all, more concussions from contact/impact then from fighting now. If you argue that narrative you should be on the side of non contact. It’s truly just another way for you to stir the pot that’s a fact. Now I’m mad at myself for even entertaining your shtick!!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Exactly...these Windsor/London match ups are so tame, I punch myself in the face and say, "hey Nelli, that's from s108". :naughty:

ezgif-4-20ded55b73.gif

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Why don’t we ban all contact sports??? Seriously, after all, more concussions from contact/impact then from fighting now. If you argue that narrative you should be on the side of non contact. It’s truly just another way for you to stir the pot that’s a fact. Now I’m mad at myself for even entertaining your shtick!!

If you ignore intent. In a fight I am intending to try and knock you out and you're intent is to knock me out. Leagues try to differentiate intent to injure on predatory hits that go over and above from by the rules separating opposition from the puck or make a tackle to stop forward progression etc.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
5-1 Sarnia final.

Good:

- Douglas with his 14th of the season. Good garbage goal.
- Piiroinen made the stops he could. Incze got some work in late, allowing 1G.
- Boka with a couple good chances and dropping the mitts late (after goal-mouth scramble).

Bad:

- Defence... where are you? First goal was defensive breakdown. One goal was a 2-on-none after a turnover. One goal was a rebound that goes off a Sarnia skate into open net. Another goal was Sproviero in the slot wristing it home. The Incze goal was a slapper from the slot. Piiroinen had zero help defensively and Incze's goal was much the same.

- Shots were even but, from what I saw, not a ton of quality chances for the Spitfires. Again, inconsistent offence is the name of the game. Four goals last night then none tonight?! You can't do that.

Hopefully Playfair, Angle, and Kutkevicius are back soon. Having 10F is getting to these guys.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

member 71782

Just not a good game tonight. Sarnia outplayed them, Windsor showed very little interest most of the game.

The couple of bright spots, Incze came in and settled things down, what Windsor needs from him and Robinson, while his lack of experience showed he certainly didn't look any worse then the rest of the D. A bit more time and experience, as well as a couple of pounds and I can see him ready for a regular spot. Right now it would be nice to see him get a couple more games in while the line up is short due to injury/suspension.

With their week being done early lets hope they use the extra couple of days to straighten a few things out.

Reactions: OHLTG

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Well that wasn't a good game.
Spits lose 5 to 1
Defense was no where this game.
Vets didn't get off the bus for most of the game. Showed up a couple times in the 3rd but was too late than.
Young kids played ok.
Coaching didn't have the players ready for this game.
That is 2 points that slipped away.
Boka dropped the gloves. Better hope he didn't hurt his hands again like the 1st fight or would be another bad (dumb)decision to fight.
Rest of the week off now. Better practice.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Just not a good game tonight. Sarnia outplayed them, Windsor showed very little interest most of the game.

The couple of bright spots, Incze came in and settled things down, what Windsor needs from him and Robinson, while his lack of experience showed he certainly didn't look any worse then the rest of the D. A bit more time and experience, as well as a couple of pounds and I can see him ready for a regular spot. Right now it would be nice to see him get a couple more games in while the line up is short due to injury/suspension.

With their week being done early lets hope they use the extra couple of days to straighten a few things out.

I think we may see this a bit. Piroinen hasn't been bad but often DiPietro would make saves to keep them in games. He will be asked to make a lot with this D being flawed. They will have to step their game up without DiPietro there to keep them in games.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Traveled out to a Sarnia, regretting it a bit. Lol.

Piiroinen didn’t look bad, he had no help from the D. Starikov is the one name I’ve been most disappointed in lately. Maybe I just expect too much, but it just seems like he isn’t playing smart. I haven’t loved Allen either, but he’s willing to play the man and stick up for his team, so I’ve been letting it slide. Robinson, looked far from the worst defender on the spits side tonight. Obviously things to work on, but I see upside from him.

Sarnia has had good goaltending this weekend from Langevin. While giving up 5 (defense to blame) isn’t going to win you many, the spits had the opportunities to bury more than 1. Cuylle and Foudy looked good again and I like seeing Douglas out there with them. He’s far from a goon, but if there’s a scuffle around the crease and he shows up, guys notice.

As noted earlier, the age difference with spits being “2nd youngest” in the OHL isn’t far off from the oldest teams. However, I feel like our young guys see a lot more ice time then those on other clubs. I feel like there’s not a lot of teams with their Top PP line having a couple 16 year olds.

I’m sure some here will hate my optimism, but I’m so excited to see this team grow. The more we lose, the better the first rounder in 19...

That being said, my main hope for this season is a series win. Was the last series win in 2011? Theres gotta be sone talk about some “curse” if something doesn’t change in the playoffs soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad