Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
That being said, my main hope for this season is a series win. Was the last series win in 2011? Theres gotta be sone talk about some “curse” if something doesn’t change in the playoffs soon.

No curse, just teams that were not that good. The 17 team was good, but the top 5 teams in the West were all very strong. Injuries hurt but they simply could not close out Knights. They had them down but couldn't deliver the knock out punch.

The 16 team was abut even with Kitchener, but they blew leads in the first 2 games in Kitchener. That series was totally dominated by the undisciplined Lemiux. He got thrown out of game 1 with the Spits leading (on I believe 2 goal by him). Suspended for games 2 & 3. Totally dominated Game 4 that the Spits won, and got ejected in Game 5.

Both those series could have gone either way, but the Spits figured out how to lose. Every other series, they really did not have much of a chance because their opponents were much better.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I think we may see this a bit. Piroinen hasn't been bad but often DiPietro would make saves to keep them in games. He will be asked to make a lot with this D being flawed. They will have to step their game up without DiPietro there to keep them in games.
I agree with you, but DiPietro would have needed a shutout tonight to win that mess.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The best part that can come out out these next 30+ games is either the goal scoring picks up a lot, the D starts to look better or they get real good goaltending. If the inconsistency continues they will have to look at different avenues to fix those issues.

Eg. Stevenson hasn't shown he's OA caliber, Starikov has regressed and Allen is in his final year. So on the surface you may have to replace 3 D, only 1 other D is signed (Robinson). This is under the scenario that guys like Corcoran/Staois/Ladd make huge strides as well.

What would happen if the D struggles as far as continuing to give up terrific scoring chances and the Spits goal scoring doesn't get a big uptick? Easy to address 1 area in the offseason, harder but possible to address 2 areas in the offseason, impossible to address all 3.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
What scares me, and we've already seen it, is fans going "Mikey would have saved that." DiPietro was the best goaltender in franchise history. You're basically asking a (great) rookie to come in and be that level, which is not only extremely difficult, but extremely unfair.

Piiroinen has all kinds of potential and has shown he's capable of greatness (Kitchener game, for example). You just can't expect him to make a dozen mind-blowing saves a night... at least right now. Even tonight, looking at the goals, he might hav been able to stop one of the four he allowed. The defence let him down and he's the last person I'd put this loss on.

Give him realistic expectations, tighten up the D, and go from there. I don't want to compare this to Jack Campbell, but it kind of is. He came in after dominating goaltending and, when he didn't put up all-star numbers, the fans got on his case. No. That can't happen.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
What scares me, and we've already seen it, is fans going "Mikey would have saved that." DiPietro was the best goaltender in franchise history. You're basically asking a (great) rookie to come in and be that level, which is not only extremely difficult, but extremely unfair.

Piiroinen has all kinds of potential and has shown he's capable of greatness (Kitchener game, for example). You just can't expect him to make a dozen mind-blowing saves a night... at least right now. Even tonight, looking at the goals, he might hav been able to stop one of the four he allowed. The defence let him down and he's the last person I'd put this loss on.

Give him realistic expectations, tighten up the D, and go from there. I don't want to compare this to Jack Campbell, but it kind of is. He came in after dominating goaltending and, when he didn't put up all-star numbers, the fans got on his case. No. That can't happen.
Campbell not a good example to me. He was so dominate in the WJC so lot of fans got to see what he could do. But when he got here he never really played to that level and i think that is why fans got on him. With Kari no one has seen him play before. And it isn’t fair to hope for DiPietro like saves every game. All we can hope for is his game progresses.

Reactions: windsor7

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Traveled out to a Sarnia, regretting it a bit. Lol.

Piiroinen didn’t look bad, he had no help from the D. Starikov is the one name I’ve been most disappointed in lately. Maybe I just expect too much, but it just seems like he isn’t playing smart. I haven’t loved Allen either, but he’s willing to play the man and stick up for his team, so I’ve been letting it slide. Robinson, looked far from the worst defender on the spits side tonight. Obviously things to work on, but I see upside from him.

Sarnia has had good goaltending this weekend from Langevin. While giving up 5 (defense to blame) isn’t going to win you many, the spits had the opportunities to bury more than 1. Cuylle and Foudy looked good again and I like seeing Douglas out there with them. He’s far from a goon, but if there’s a scuffle around the crease and he shows up, guys notice.

As noted earlier, the age difference with spits being “2nd youngest” in the OHL isn’t far off from the oldest teams. However, I feel like our young guys see a lot more ice time then those on other clubs. I feel like there’s not a lot of teams with their Top PP line having a couple 16 year olds.

I’m sure some here will hate my optimism, but I’m so excited to see this team grow. The more we lose, the better the first rounder in 19...

That being said, my main hope for this season is a series win. Was the last series win in 2011? Theres gotta be sone talk about some “curse” if something doesn’t change in the playoffs soon.

Yes u r right.
Last playoff series win is 2011. Long time ago.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
What really showed last night is how much we miss Ladd and Staios. Yes they make 1 or 2 mistakes a night but the other 99% of the time they are playing they are doing fine for 17 yr old defenders. It is junior hockey and this is a league for these kids to learn their craft. People focus too much and highlight when kids make mistakes but never really watch/remember how they played the rest of the game. I could say the same for Playfair and Angle but when they make mistakes it usually doesn't end up in the back of our net.
For me the big concern is the body language coming from our Captain. Watch him on the bench or at the end of action after a whistle. Just focus on him. Their is a young team all around him and if they are getting bad vibes not a good thing. I'm wondering out loud if he is aware of a future move coming?

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
What really showed last night is how much we miss Ladd and Staios. Yes they make 1 or 2 mistakes a night but the other 99% of the time they are playing they are doing fine for 17 yr old defenders. It is junior hockey and this is a league for these kids to learn their craft. People focus too much and highlight when kids make mistakes but never really watch/remember how they played the rest of the game. I could say the same for Playfair and Angle but when they make mistakes it usually doesn't end up in the back of our net.
For me the big concern is the body language coming from our Captain. Watch him on the bench or at the end of action after a whistle. Just focus on him. Their is a young team all around him and if they are getting bad vibes not a good thing. I'm wondering out loud if he is aware of a future move coming?

You’ve been reading my mail again. I thought at the time of the trade that it was a little odd that the Spits sent picks to Ottawa along with DiPietro....I was thinking that perhaps we might be seeing a part #2 of the trade at the deadline with Boka & or Purboo heading to the 67s and picks coming back.(of course the can’t be the exact picks but can be the same year picks).
In that way Spits Keep the experience for now as they fight for their playoff spot and 67s get that experience for the playoffs.
As the dust settles after the deals WR still has 6 or so cards to play with. We still have an O/A slot open if some team trades with us for Purboo/Boka and needs to include an O/A to clear a spot on their roster. I’m not privy to the inner workings but IMHO Starikov might just be inclined to go home at Xmas and not return. He certainly has regressed in development and is often odd man out or 7th D man dressed. As for the O/A we have, they will certainly be available at the deadline if some team needs a tech of toughness or experience.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Well lets see here. I think they were talking about playoff series win and not tournament win. There is a difference but once again you are bringing up something that has nothing to do with topic. What a shocker.

I only care at end of day is championships no matter how won,only successes,if I am scorned for bringing up successes regardless of time ie 10 years then those bringing up failures or supporting it should be scorned too,deal with the present not past trouble maker.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
You’ve been reading my mail again. I thought at the time of the trade that it was a little odd that the Spits sent picks to Ottawa along with DiPietro....I was thinking that perhaps we might be seeing a part #2 of the trade at the deadline with Boka & or Purboo heading to the 67s and picks coming back.(of course the can’t be the exact picks but can be the same year picks).
In that way Spits Keep the experience for now as they fight for their playoff spot and 67s get that experience for the playoffs.
As the dust settles after the deals WR still has 6 or so cards to play with. We still have an O/A slot open if some team trades with us for Purboo/Boka and needs to include an O/A to clear a spot on their roster. I’m not privy to the inner workings but IMHO Starikov might just be inclined to go home at Xmas and not return. He certainly has regressed in development and is often odd man out or 7th D man dressed. As for the O/A we have, they will certainly be available at the deadline if some team needs a tech of toughness or experience.

Punch

I doubt you will Purboo dealt.
As for Boka not so sure
Starikov will be interesting to see,the other 6D have played better then him
the season,I am surprised thought he will build on last year's solid rookie season.
As for adding an o/a dont see that happening unless further injuries occur.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I only care at end of day is championships no matter how won,only successes,if I am scorned for bringing up successes regardless of time ie 10 years then those bringing up failures or supporting it should be scorned too,deal with the present not past trouble maker.
So he isn’t allowed to answer someones question?? You are scorned cause you constantly bring it up cause that is the only success this has had since the 2011. But yet you try to make this team so great when they have done nothing since 11 except win 1 mem cup and still no playoff wins. How are fans suppose to get behind this team

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So he isn’t allowed to answer someones question?? You are scorned cause you constantly bring it up cause that is the only success this has had since the 2011. But yet you try to make this team so great when they have done nothing since 11 except win 1 mem cup and still no playoff wins. How are fans suppose to get behind this team

There your can go going back 7 years make it 10,oh cant do that,Five total championships,let's compromise 2 years,oh wait 1 national championship, nobody cares about 7 years,5 years ,different players and coaches.
Oh I am sure you meant playoff series wins not just playoff wins.
Just correcting like you try to do to me Mr Perfect.

Last edited:

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
There your can go going back 7 years make it 10,oh cant do that,Five total championships,let's compromise 2 years,oh wait 1 national championship, nobody cares about 7 years,5 years ,different players and coaches.
If i tried correcting everything you wrote i’d be here forever. This is no different then you going back 11 games here or 15 there you find things to fit your argument. Past 2 years no playoff series wins. Or 1 year or 5 years or 7 years or 4 or maybe 6. Since back to back OHL titles not 1 playoff series win. Yes we won National Title and it was a fun time and exciting but still no OHL title in 7 going to be 8 years. This team has done nothing in the OHL since their 3 year run.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Campbell not a good example to me. He was so dominate in the WJC so lot of fans got to see what he could do. But when he got here he never really played to that level and i think that is why fans got on him. With Kari no one has seen him play before. And it isn’t fair to hope for DiPietro like saves every game. All we can hope for is his game progresses.

Campbell was given the grief from the start, though. The point is that fans were a bit spoiled and, when he didn't live up to their expectations, they turned on him. That's why I fear for Piiroinen. He's a rookie who's coming into a relatively bad spot. Expectations need to be somewhat lowered. Kind of go into this with 2015-16 approach - "He's a good rookie. See what he can do."

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Campbell was given the grief from the start, though. The point is that fans were a bit spoiled and, when he didn't live up to their expectations, they turned on him. That's why I fear for Piiroinen. He's a rookie who's coming into a relatively bad spot. Expectations need to be somewhat lowered. Kind of go into this with 2015-16 approach - "He's a good rookie. See what he can do."
I agree it sucks coming in after Mikey but unlike Campbell i never saw him play before he got here and have only heard about him. So i don’t expect to much this year as it hard sometimes for kids to come over and adjust. Campbell tho was beyond great for US in WJC and people saw that and expected that here. I won’t lie i was one and was very disappointed in him. Showed flashes but never had sustained success here. That all i’m trying to say. I do think Kari feels more pressure then he should and it not fair to him.

Reactions: OHLTG

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

No actually he was talking about series wins as you can see from this post.

Tribe didn't go back, nobody went back. A guy asked a question and was answered. You clearly didn't like the answer of someone.​

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
DiPietro is scheduled to start today’s game for Ottawa. Why do I mention this. The reason is simple. Until he plays in a game for Ottawa the trade is not complete.
For instance if he didn’t play and went off to the world juniors where he had a season ending injury guess what, it would void the trade. Puck drop 2PM...

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
DiPietro is scheduled to start today’s game for Ottawa. Why do I mention this. The reason is simple. Until he plays in a game for Ottawa the trade is not complete.
For instance if he didn’t play and went off to the world juniors where he had a season ending injury guess what, it would void the trade. Puck drop 2PM...
Yes and thanks to college basketball/football not a single OHL game in HD. Sucks but I will still try to watch.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Punch

I doubt you will Purboo dealt.
As for Boka not so sure
Starikov will be interesting to see,the other 6D have played better then him
the season,I am surprised thought he will build on last year's solid rookie season.
As for adding an o/a dont see that happening unless further injuries occur.
Legend..My reasoning goes this way...As the Jan 9th then 10th deadlines approach we often
see O/A placed on waivers if they can't be dealt just to make room for a better O/A.
Our O/A aren't necessarily adding a lot to our team. If WR could pick up a pick for either from another team
and fill that spot with a waiver wire guy I think he'd do it in a heartbeat.
Also in some cases teams you're dealing with ask you to accept an O/A as part of the trade to allow them to bring in a better O/A
from another team.
I just can't see WR ending up with 5-6 cards left at the trading deadline...

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
The picks going with DiPietro were to get more picks coming our way so it could sound like a better return than it was. The trade is covered/reported as DiPietro for the Russian & picks package, the Spits picks going the other way maybe get a single mention. Warren reached out to Ottawa, not the vice versa either - there was no market for Mikey. Russian kid an extreme long shot to come over - he was included so Spits can sell the potential NHL first rounder in the deal. If he had any real shot in coming over Ottawa would have A]Kept him and B]Held out for more than a 2nd and two 3rd for him. NHL first round picks with two years eligibility are not sold so cheaply.

Reactions: tomschman

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Legend..My reasoning goes this way...As the Jan 9th then 10th deadlines approach we often
see O/A placed on waivers if they can't be dealt just to make room for a better O/A.
Our O/A aren't necessarily adding a lot to our team. If WR could pick up a pick for either from another team
and fill that spot with a waiver wire guy I think he'd do it in a heartbeat.
Also in some cases teams you're dealing with ask you to accept an O/A as part of the trade to allow them to bring in a better O/A
from another team.
I just can't see WR ending up with 5-6 cards left at the trading deadline...

I highly doubt you see Allen go anywhere, nor should he. While he takes a few stupid penalties, you want his type on his roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad