Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

Tough game tonight.

Windsor looked lost for about half the game while the other half showed flashes of the potential they have.

First goal was a tough one but with DiPietro being dealt Tuesday then back in the building as part of the ceremonial face off, video tribute etc you knew something like that was bound to happen. Piiroinen settled down and for the most part played a decent game.

I think between now and the deadline we see the ups and downs continue. This year will have the inconsistent play continue but once the kids get a chance to go home for Christmas, get through the deadline I think the inconsistent play will eventually start to level off.

DiPietro was the big move but I imagine there will be two or three more then everyone can settle in to a finalized roster.

Any word on any kids getting a call up over the next couple of weeks to see how some that were close have progressed once the WJC window opens?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I haven't heard anything about call-ups but I can see a few happening.

Great tribute to the past 10-years before the game. LONG video (7-8 min I think), followed by a thank you to DiPietro on the video board. Harry Young came out with the Memorial Cup to a nice ovation. The crowd LOVED when Mikey came out. Plenty of signs around the rink in support of him. I just hope fans realize that we're going to be okay. As soon as Piiroinen let in the first goal tonight, fans were on him. I'm getting Jack Campbell images dancing through my head.

The first period very much seemed to be Windsor playing with emotion. They didn't appear to be mentally focused and a different vibe was there. Langevin, while unorthodox, played well and deserves credit. We saw more of the Spitfires we're used to in the second and third period; far more creative around the net. Just couldn't put it home. Part of that is lack of finish, but part of that was Langevin and the Sting D. They came to play.

The duo of Cuylle and Foudy was on fire. Keep. Them. Together!! Cuylle and Morgan showed some chemistry, which was good to see. I get why people say Foudy holds onto the puck too long, but as long as he's not giving it up, I don't have an issue. He has the puck on a string and that's going to benefit us. It's not like he's giving up the really good scoring chances JUST to hold onto it.

Daniel D'Amico is going to be a stud for us, I'm almost convinced. The kid doesn't stop working and he's putting the puck in the net like it's nobodies business. I'd put a number on what I can see down the road but no doubt that'd create a five-page debate that I'm not up for :laugh:

While I wish Allen wouldn't take stupid penalties (the Interference call wasn't necessary), he reminds me a bit of Ross Rhea. Doesn't matter who you are; he'll make sure you don't do something against his team. Definitely doesn't pick his spots.

Speaking of that - Hatcher ran someone over tonight and Douglas kind of glanced over at him. Hatcher skated away, which surprised me but didn't. Douglas just laughed. I'm legit curious as to who, if anyone, would actually go Douglas.

Piiroinen looked very solid for the most part. The first goal was tipped, one was a pick high blocker, one was a two-on-one passing, and the OT goal was wide open cage. He made enough quality saves that you can't fault him. As long as fans don't expect him to be the 1GA and 40 saves per night guy, we'll be okay. He's got all kinds of talent and potential but what they've done for him so far is perfect. Let the kid do his thing and don't stress.

I loved the O'D sprinkler and Mitchell Mustache on the jumbotron, plus the "row race" with McDonalds. All we needed was the "I love $5 footlongs" commercial and it's covered our 10 years LOL

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Agree with OHLTG on the assessments. I love Cuylle and Foudy together. Both kids are going to be fantastic. I’m high on D’Amico as well. Good game obviously tonight, but I can’t remember watching him have a bad one.

Boka was visibly frustrated at not being able to put the puck in the net. I feel for him, he’s getting chances.

The one thing that bothers me is Purboo getting caught flat footed. Seems like too often he’s in the defensive end not moving then getting burned. Starikov pinched big in a play that set up that 2 on 1 goal for the sting which hurt.

Glad the spits were able to tie it and Purboo didn’t get sent off. I’d love to see the no-call in question again though.

Kari looks good and I’m excited to see more of him. Had so many chances in OT and just couldn’t bury it. Tough loss, but I’ll take the point!

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Speaking of that - Hatcher ran someone over tonight and Douglas kind of glanced over at him. Hatcher skated away, which surprised me but didn't. Douglas just laughed. I'm legit curious as to who, if anyone, would actually go Douglas.

Piiroinen looked very solid for the most part. The first goal was tipped, one was a pick high blocker, one was a two-on-one passing, and the OT goal was wide open cage. He made enough quality saves that you can't fault him. As long as fans don't expect him to be the 1GA and 40 saves per night guy, we'll be okay. He's got all kinds of talent and potential but what they've done for him so far is perfect. Let the kid do his thing and don't stress.

I loved the O'D sprinkler and Mitchell Mustache on the jumbotron, plus the "row race" with McDonalds. All we needed was the "I love $5 footlongs" commercial and it's covered our 10 years LOL

To answer your question on who would fight Curtis Douglas, he has 3 career OHL fights

1st one vs Riley Bruce (he's 6'7)

2nd one vs Kevin Bahl (he's 6'6)

3rd one vs Sean Allen (Sean Allen vs Curtis Douglas Dec 9, 2017)

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
LOL if he goes Allen again, we got some issues. Bahl and him didn't even look at each other in their meeting(s). Bruce could happen as we haven't played NB yet. I'd just like to see him go once, don't care who it's with.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
LOL if he goes Allen again, we got some issues. Bahl and him didn't even look at each other in their meeting(s). Bruce could happen as we haven't played NB yet. I'd just like to see him go once, don't care who it's with.

Bruce is out of the league now, he was an OA last year. Hatcher actually leads the league in fights this year with Pilon from Sudbury

Reactions: OHLTG

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Game was messy from both sides. Finn will be ok. Corcoran was terrible tonight. Lots of chances that didn’t get finished!! I agree to some extent on Foudy, BUT that kid will carry this team in the future. The combo of him and Cuylie looks awesome. PP is still crap and I’m still not a Letowski fan. Lol. Hope Douglas is ok. Favouring a foot after blocking a shot late.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That’s a good question cause if there were any answers more teams would do it. London just seems to know when to unload players and keep their picks cupboard some what full. It does help them that players seem to want to go there over other teams. I can only guess is that they feel that is where they feel the have best chance to develope and get to the pro. I’m sure there other things.

Hypothetically speaking, let’s say the Knights manage to get one hard player to report every year. That would give them 4 roster players continually that wouldn’t be on other teams. If you add four significant roster players to your team I would think your team would be better continually.

Reactions: KyGuy9

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Game was messy from both sides. Finn will be ok. Corcoran was terrible tonight. Lots of chances that didn’t get finished!! I agree to some extent on Foudy, BUT that kid will carry this team in the future. The combo of him and Cuylie looks awesome. PP is still crap and I’m still not a Letowski fan. Lol. Hope Douglas is ok. Favouring a foot after blocking a shot late.

Spits power play has struggled no doubt,but not tonight, they were 2-3 on the man advantage, have to give credit where it's due.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The PP is too predictable and it looks like they're so focused on where players need to be that scoring is more coincidence than "we knew that was going to happen."

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Last Night's Game... A little disappointed at the announced crowd (4430). Thought it would be close to a season high. All in all
the team did well enough given all the pressure and the fact we had 4 able bodies missing. Considering how young this team is you
have to expect many games will be learning experiences. Not much point, at least from my perspective, in complaining about youngsters
hanging onto the puck too much. Give them time and see what they learn. Next year you might have a valid argument.
Tonight my guess is they will start the new goalie on the road. I add my voice to those who would like to see them bring in a couple draftees
to see how they look playing stiffer competition.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Have to agree with Punch. Youngest team we have iced in years. You have to give them some rope, they will learn. At this point not too concerned what the vets do. I find myself focusing on the 01's and 02's. We all know what Boka and Purboo bring but it is the younger group that is the future. Piiroinen is a good example. You can see he is better with every game.
All you can ask at this point as a fan - Are they learning from their mistakes and are they showing signs of improvement?
By the trade deadline we will more than likely be the youngest team in the league. There will be more growing pains with that. If the Spits can stay competitive and finish in the standings around where they are now with a young team imagine what the future holds.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

No need to fight.
How about just put the puck in the net consistently.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Spits lose in OT.
2 average teams playing each other.
10th year anniversary video was decent.
Mikey tribute good too.
Purboo, #29 n the kids line played well.
Kids line needs more ice time. They r out playing the vets. I like them on the pp. Put them out more for sure.
Rest of vets didn't show up for game.
Attendance was low. 4400 n change for this game with cheap tix. If u cant get people out with cheap tix then the Spits really have problems. Not going to have cheap tix again for a long time.
Onto playing sarnia again. I assume they will play their starter. No idea who Spits play. That ball is up in the air for games now.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
One thing I'll point out about last nights game was the 3rd and fourth goals of the game. Both times we were down a goal and both times it was the kids that came up huge for us.
Cuylle scored both goals, Foudy had the primary assist on both goals then Grayson Ladd and Daniel D'amico picked up the secondary assists on those goals. Those 4 players there are probably going to be the core of our team for the next couple years. Not too shabby.
Foudy was ALL OVER Sarnia last night. One of his best games of the season. He literally had the puck on a string. I don't know how he does it. He is a treat to watch live.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Have to agree with Punch. Youngest team we have iced in years. You have to give them some rope, they will learn. At this point not too concerned what the vets do. I find myself focusing on the 01's and 02's. We all know what Boka and Purboo bring but it is the younger group that is the future. Piiroinen is a good example. You can see he is better with every game.
All you can ask at this point as a fan - Are they learning from their mistakes and are they showing signs of improvement?
By the trade deadline we will more than likely be the youngest team in the league. There will be more growing pains with that. If the Spits can stay competitive and finish in the standings around where they are now with a young team imagine what the future holds.

Being the "youngest" team is all relative. Their current average age is 17.77, the 16th youngest team is the Soo at 17.83, the youngest team is Ottawa at 17.75, the 15th youngest team is tied with the Soo at 17.83. Just because you're younger by .06 years doesn't preclude you from having success. We were told last year them sneaking into the playoffs would be terrific for this group. They returned 70% of their roster to start the year. Should they be better than what they currently are? In the eyes of their GM who put this roster yes they should be. The younger group is the future but let's keep in mind some of these 01's may not be around when they're good again. Their 00's and 99's aren't great and in order to improve next year those are the guys that your team will need to rely upon.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
So that game went ok. PP was a bit better. It was nice to see they finally allowed Foudy to carry the puck on PP into zone with open ice instead of doing the drop pass and have him try to carry it amongst all the bodies around blueline. Hopefully they stick with it. Also nice to see Boka wasn’t on either unit from what i remember anyways. D’Amico played a really good game. Just to bad he made a horrible pass to no one in overtime to give sarnia the winning rush. Not sure what happened to Purboo but holy hell he had some good stick handling moments. That kid works hard all the time. Defence will have to learn when to jump in rush or take a chance. It hurt us few times lastnight. Morgan got out muscled on the 2nd goal. Kari i think will be fine. Just struggles with rebound control and noticed last night he loses track of the puck once in awhile. Hopefully that will get better with more experience. I remember someone talk about passing and i paid more attention to it last night and man at times it is brutal. Not able to hit guys not moving. Hopefully they can fix that. That would really help with their offense and breakouts. Foudy and Cuylle are going to be fun to watch together.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Per peter Parker
Grayson Ladd out of the Windsor #Spitfires @SpitsHockey lineup tonight vs. Sarnia #Sting Defenceman Dylan Robinson has been recalled from the LaSalle #Vipers @lasallevipers and will make his #OHL debut.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Rayzor

Not surprised at your unfair negative spin team could win 10 in a row and you would find something wrong, rigid folks dont change.
Their record of 8-3-1 against the 5 teams above them in the standings is impressive, oh I know u won't agree,cant let those facts get in the way,their 16 year olds lead the league in points by a big margin,most youngsters are improving, with the exception of Cody Morgan,like the overall development, agree with outsider completely, looking forward to the future.
Improve their record against the East,not many games left against that conference best,their record against West is 11-5-2-1 what's wrong with that?.
Is everything perfect course not,more good then bad,a lot of promise imo.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Per peter Parker
Grayson Ladd out of the Windsor #Spitfires @SpitsHockey lineup tonight vs. Sarnia #Sting Defenceman Dylan Robinson has been recalled from the LaSalle #Vipers @lasallevipers and will make his #OHL debut.
Never noticed anything during the game, heard nothing after wonder what it could be?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Rayzor

Not surprised at your unfair negative spin team could win 10 in a row and you would find something wrong, rigid folks dont change.
Their record of 8-3-1 against the 5 teams above them in the standings is impressive, oh I know u won't agree,cant let those facts get in the way,their 16 year olds lead the league in points by a big margin,most youngsters are improving, with the exception of Cody Morgan,like the overall development, agree with outsider completely, looking forward to the future.
Improve their record against the East,not many games left against that conference best,their record against West is 11-5-2-1 what's wrong with that?.
Is everything perfect course not,more good then bad,a lot of promise imo.

Nothing is unfair or negative or a spin on my part. These numbers are available for all to see. I like how your 8-3-1 record mentioned isn't a spin but what I brought is being unfair. Continue to cherry pick your stats. Of course you come up with a lazy narrative of saying I would find something wrong with the team running off 10 in a row. Let's see that happen and what follows before throwing out some lazy straw man. So they're 8-3-1 against the teams above them but haven't leveraged that into a higher spot in the conference? Why is that? Is it because we have talked about consistency being an issue?

I noticed you didn't address the fact only .08 separate the youngest team in the league and 15th youngest.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Since this place hates talking about "young" team v "old" team, why not use "experience" v. "inexperience"? Though, I'm sure that'll turn into a major debate, too.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Rayzor

I will address your last comment average age doesn't reflect experience ,so yes this is a very young team,and explains most things that go around,looking forward to the future.
Noticed you didn't think the 8-3-1 record wasn't impressive shocking not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad