Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Goalies don’t usuallly hit their stride until 18 or 19.

I think it's imperative that Piroinen show something for the organization to put faith in him to be the starter next year. If he plays at the level thus far the organization will probably need to acquire another goalie to push Piroinen or possibly be #1.

Reactions: TheGremlin

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
No actually he was talking about series wins as you can see from this post.

That being said, my main hope for this season is a series win. Was the last series win in 2011? Theres gotta be sone talk about some “curse” if something doesn’t change in the playoffs soon.

Tribe didn't go back, nobody went back. A guy asked a question and was answered. You clearly didn't like the answer of someone.​

I don’t discredit the Memorial Cup. We won, regardless of the format.

That being said, good chance if we want a memorial cup game in the next 10 years, we won’t be hosting. I don’t take anything away from the cup because we hosted. We didn’t make the format, we followed it, and won it. A memorial cup is a Memorial cup.

To see this young club win a playoff series this year, would say a lot to the fans and themselves about the future of this team.

Last time the Spitfires won a series, I was still a Whalers fan. I wouldn’t mind seeing the team play some April games.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don’t discredit the Memorial Cup. We won, regardless of the format.

That being said, good chance if we want a memorial cup game in the next 10 years, we won’t be hosting. I don’t take anything away from the cup because we hosted. We didn’t make the format, we followed it, and won it. A memorial cup is a Memorial cup.

To see this young club win a playoff series this year, would say a lot to the fans and themselves about the future of this team.

Last time the Spitfires won a series, I was still a Whalers fan. I wouldn’t mind seeing the team play some April games.

Nobody is discrediting the Memorial Cup. People have their opinions on that season in general. That was my point over a year ago if they ever want to play in a Memorial Cup again it will take 16 playoff wins.

If this team has any intention of winning a playoff series their D has to be better, their vets have to play like vets and get very good goaltending. Also it most likely would take winning 2 games on the road if they don't have home ice. Even last year winning game 1 against Sarnia everybody knew Windsor was going to have to win another game on the road. Sarnia was too talented not to win at least 1 in Windsor.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Realistically Ottawa didn’t need Mikey but what we got for him seems like it is more then we might have else where as teams seem pretty content in net. Plus if Oshawa or SSM sell off a bit, they could move 2 of the top 5 tenders.

Good to see Mikey win today. Hopefully he can bring gold to Canada and break the shutout record this year. Would also be nice to see Ottawa win the league if Windsor doesn’t make it of course lol

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
DiPietro was a luxury buy, a "would be nice to have" want, not a need, for Ottawa. Hence the price they paid - basically a third round pick this year (they had multiple seconds and sent us their worst one - is VERY telling) . The get him to stack their goalies to guard against any injury AND to keep him from a potential play-off rival where he could steal the series on his own. They didn't need him - it was a buyers market. Actually worse - there wasn't a market. Rychel started reaching out to teams to sell them on Mike.

Reactions: KyGuy9

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
DiPietro was a luxury buy, a "would be nice to have" want, not a need, for Ottawa. Hence the price they paid - basically a third round pick this year (they had multiple seconds and sent us their worst one - is VERY telling) . The get him to stack their goalies to guard against any injury AND to keep him from a potential play-off rival where he could steal the series on his own. They didn't need him - it was a buyers market. Actually worse - there wasn't a market. Rychel started reaching out to teams to sell them on Mike.
I listened to the Ottawa broadcast today and the GM stated just that.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
The picks going with DiPietro were to get more picks coming our way so it could sound like a better return than it was. The trade is covered/reported as DiPietro for the Russian & picks package, the Spits picks going the other way maybe get a single mention. Warren reached out to Ottawa, not the vice versa either - there was no market for Mikey. Russian kid an extreme long shot to come over - he was included so Spits can sell the potential NHL first rounder in the deal. If he had any real shot in coming over Ottawa would have A]Kept him and B]Held out for more than a 2nd and two 3rd for him. NHL first round picks with two years eligibility are not sold so cheaply.
It must have been obvious to Ottawa that he was never going to report. The Spits have a much better chance of signing him since it is much closer to his home in the Detroit area. I expect his decision will happen sometime after the NHL draft and before Michigan State's semester opens in late August. If he looks like a sure-fire NHLer, there are a lot of benefits to playing in the OHL. He can attend the NHL team's training camp and sign a Pro contract. The downside is that since he will have been drafted from the USHL, the NHL could sign him and send to the AHL.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Agree with others who were fairly impressed with the debuts of rookie dman Dylan Robinson and veteran goalie Colton Inzce Friday night in Sarnia.
Both deserve to play more this upcoming week.
Robinson followed up his debut with his best game of the season for LaSalle last night scoring 1G and adding 2 assists in 4-3 loss.
Has nice upside looking forward to seeing how this youngster develops as he is the 4th 16 year old that the Spits have signed.

Last edited:

member 71782

Agree with others who were fairly impressed with the debuts of rookie dman Dylan Robinson and veteran goalie Colton Inzce Friday night in Sarnia.
Both deserve to play more this upcoming night.
Robinson followed up his debut with his best game of the season for LaSalle last night scoring 1G and adding 2 assists in 4-3 loss.
Has nice upside looking forward to seeing how this youngster develops as he is the 4th 16 year old that the Spits have signed.

Would definitely like to see Robinson back in this weekend. Get him in the line up as much as possible between now and the deadline to see how he progresses and make a decision at that time as to where he should finish off the year.

As for the goaltending Windsor should run a 50/50 split for the next few weeks to get Piiroinen on a regular rotation. Keep it predictable now that DiPietro is gone. After the deadline start giving him 2 out of 3 and as long as he adjusts and improves his play keep increasing his starts. Yes he needs to earn his starts but he needs to know regardless of how the team in front of him does he has the coaches confidence when he earns it. He's a rookie but he's also the future so he needs the opportunity to recover when he makes his mistakes.

Nothing against Inzce but Piiroinen's development has to be priority while Inzce is a somewhat known quantity in the league his value comes from proving he's reliable when needed.

Start Piiroinen Thursday, Inzce next game and so on.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
The picks going with DiPietro were to get more picks coming our way so it could sound like a better return than it was. The trade is covered/reported as DiPietro for the Russian & picks package, the Spits picks going the other way maybe get a single mention. Warren reached out to Ottawa, not the vice versa either - there was no market for Mikey. Russian kid an extreme long shot to come over - he was included so Spits can sell the potential NHL first rounder in the deal. If he had any real shot in coming over Ottawa would have A]Kept him and B]Held out for more than a 2nd and two 3rd for him. NHL first round picks with two years eligibility are not sold so cheaply.
Most info here is in fact wrong. No idea where it comes from. I hope you don’t believe what you hear on a newscast and spit it out as fact??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad