Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
With the kids some consistency issues are to be expected, especially when they are carrying the load with a lot of the tougher minutes. They've been the most consistent, at least in effort. The results will eventually come with experience for most.

The older players are where the consistency issues are really bothersome. It's one thing to have four lines rolling but when it is mainly older players playing third and fourth line minutes instead of a more equitable distribution of minutes, some obvious exceptions of course the value the veteran group brings has to be called into question. If vets are playing fewer minutes then on a younger team those minutes are best served by adding more youth.

If you are only getting half a game of good, consistent effort and the young kids are playing most of the minutes over established vets then the younger kids will wear down, get a bit overwhelmed etc. That of course again comes back to the quality of vets on the team/where their skill sets fit into the systems the coaching staff are trying to implement.

The coaching staff not knowing what they have, who fits best with who etc is the common thread in all of this. I've said before I like what Letowski appears to be trying to implement but not knowing where your players fit within that system nine games is not a good sign. At the same time while lines do and should get juggled at times throughout a game/season posted starting line ups don't resemble anything close to who is on the ice with whoever else may be out there at any given moment after the first five minutes. This shows that there has been more grasping at straws trying to make something work then actual planning/practice and insight into putting together matching skill sets that compliment each other. I was hopeful Letowski and co. would do much better than this. With a young team in particular there needs to be a chance to build some chemistry but at the same time you have to develop that in practice, put it into in game experience and give it a couple of periods to if it's going to work. When everyone seems to have had ice time with every other player on the team by the time the second period rolls around you have to question what is going on.

Hopefully a win today that came out of a decent effort gives them a bit of confidence. Hopefully the coaching staff saw something from this weekend in terms of who should be playing with each other, get them together in practice and build some chemistry between them over the next few days.

If after nine games you still don't know who/what works though there are questions that need to be asked of those making the decisions.

It's not all doom and gloom. I like the direction the coaching staff seems to want to get to but the path has been questionable. Players that should be playing together, while not showing up on the starting line up most of the time seem to be coming together at points throughout each game and hopefully the staff are noticing and will figure it out when it's been put on display at times.

This year is going to be frustrating if things continue this way, not solely because of the players, effort levels etc but because of the questionable decisions with the game planning. I think each game is going to an exercise in frustration or relief for the fans depending on the results.

Exactly as we have said before and others the vets are the culprits. They have gone through 4 weeks and it's not early anymore to start being honest about some of these guys.

I think the last paragraph is the big one for me.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I’m getting so tired of the oh we could have easily had 4 points if we had puck luck or man we really had edge in shots but goalie beat us. Maybe it is time to realize this team just has no one that can really finish. Yes their goalies are playing well but it helps them we have no true goal scorers right now. There is no one on this team that worries the opponents yet. Maybe this team has no puck luck because they don’t work hard enough long enough to create it. But it was nice to read the Spits pulled this one out. Haven’t had a chance to see or here any games this weekend. Were there any players who really stood out and any who were struggling??

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
man we really had edge in shots but goalie beat us.

If a goaltender plays well, why say "we were horrible" when it's not the case? Credit needs to be given where it's due. Sure, the team lacks a big-time goal scorer but that doesn't mean they lack scoring talent completely.

As for today... I liked a lot of games. Purboo's effort created two goals, which obviously made a difference. Angle's persistence paid off. Douglas used his size well. I liked Kutkevicius' approach, esp. on the SHG. DiPietro was doing DiPietro things. Defensively, they played an overall solid game but the "stand-out" didn't really exist. I keep hoping that Morgan will do something but it hasn't really happened. I'm not completely sold on Larionov right now. Boka feels like he's close to breaking out, though I realize people want to see it every game. There was a lot to like this weekend, but there was also a lot to be frustrated about. I want to see a consistent lineup and lines.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
If a goaltender plays well, why say "we were horrible" when it's not the case? Credit needs to be given where it's due. Sure, the team lacks a big-time goal scorer but that doesn't mean they lack scoring talent completely.

Not saying we are horrible. Just saying the lack of true scorers right now is not helping us. If we had 1 go to line and they were getting shut down by a goaltender that is different. And are we creating quality scoring chances or are a majority from the outside. And yes you credit the other goalie for making the saves he is suppose to. Now if they are making cross crease saves, breakaways stops and 2nd chance saves that’s when i will say we lost because of opponents goaltending. If a goaltender makes 40 saves and they are pretty routine with a great save here or there then i can’t say it was the goaltending that beat us. It just the way i judge things.

Can’t believe i’m going to say this but thanks for the input on players from this weekend.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm happy to provide input.

The issue with one go-to line is that teams would focus on that line alone. While I don't necessarily like, or even enjoy, the "scoring-by-committee" approach the team has taken, the ability to roll three-or-four lines is something that can be a positive. They're not scoring enough, and I realize that, but the depth is going to be useful down the road.

Were the majority of Jones' saves on Saturday of the high-quality variety? No. However, when you put 36 shots on a goaltender, chances are more than 2-3 are going to be high-quality. Jones played very well and deserved credit. There's no argument that the Spitfires should have capitalized more, though. Their PP alone could have gotten them all six points.

There's a lot to build on from the weekend but, like I've said, a lot they can work on. Plus, the whole "scratch rotation" thing needs to be fixed. I can't see it helping the mental aspect of the game.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
While the Spits went 1-2 for this current weekend road trip to Ottawa, Peterborough, and Kingston, other then getting only 2 points,not all was bad.
The good,rookies Kyle McDonald, Will Cuylle, Jean Luc Foudy were all prominent, Macdonald scored his 1st career goal,in his hometown, Ottawa on Friday,Windsor's only goal of the night,Cuyelle despite skating in more enemy territory then normal Peterborough Saturday night,the team he rejected from the draft,picked up 2 assists,and played a strong game vs Peterborough despite Windsor losing a close game,could have gone either way,Piironen in the same against Peterborough, was excellent, allowed 3 goals,only 1,5 on 5,the others a PPG and a shorty.
In fact in his 4 appearances to date he has allowed only 6 even strength goals.
Foudy the 4th rookie put up 2 assists at Kingston, named a star,as the Spits beat Kingston 5-2 today.
Team wise Spits only allowed 8 goals against in the 3 games,excluding empty netters,allowing only 4,five on five in the 3 games.
Dipietro and Piironen both played very well throughout the 3 games.
A downer was allowing a pp goal each game,after allowing only 1 PP goal in the 1st 6 games,PP wise Spits started the weekend at 19th,10% efficiency, and went 2-9 the last 2 games,now sit 14th on the PP,and 3rd on the PK.
Cole Purboo scored 2 and added 2 assists in the last 2 games to lead the club offensively.
Tyler Angle, Connor Corcoran,both had decent weekends offensively, while 17 year old dmen Louka Henault and Nathan Staios had decent weekends working the D.
No question there are several players in my view who have underachieved offensively this season.
Luke Kitkevicious, though he scored today,Igor Larionov, Luke Boka,Chris Playfair,Cody Morgan, Mathew Macdougall ,Curtis Douglas,though he scored too today ,are the forwards who need to produce, while dman Lev Starikov has been the most noticeable underachieving guy on the back end,benched twice in the last 2 games,he needs to get back to the way he was playing late last year,especially this being his draft year.
These next few games will go to determining who stays or goes, especially those up front.
Dipietro seems to have bounced back after a slow start, Piironen seems set on being able to replace Dipietro, the kids are playing well,those 17 and under in particular.
Should have added 17 year old winger Daniel D'amico as another forward who has struggled so far.
In my view team has played better then its record shows,they have been in every game,no losses more then 2 goals,excluding empty netters.
Work ahead,yes,possible changes yes,
bleak no.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
While the Spits went 1-2 for this current weekend road trip to Ottawa, Peterborough, and Kingston, other then getting only 2 points,not all was bad.
The good,rookies Kyle McDonald, Will Cuylle, Jean Luc Foudy were all prominent, Macdonald scored his 1st career goal,in his hometown, Ottawa on Friday,Windsor's only goal of the night,Cuyelle despite skating in more enemy territory then normal Peterborough Saturday night,the team he rejected from the draft,picked up 2 assists,and played a strong game vs Peterborough despite Windsor losing a close game,could have gone either way,Piironen in the same against Peterborough, was excellent, allowed 3 goals,only 1,5 on 5,the others a PPG and a shorty.
In fact in his 4 appearances to date he has allowed only 6 even strength goals.
Foudy the 4th rookie put up 2 assists at Kingston, named a star,as the Spits beat Kingston 5-2 today.
Team wise Spits only allowed 8 goals against in the 3 games,excluding empty netters,allowing only 4,five on five in the 3 games.
Dipietro and Piironen both played very well throughout the 3 games.
A downer was allowing a pp goal each game,after allowing only 1 PP goal in the 1st 6 games,PP wise Spits started the weekend at 19th,10% efficiency, and went 2-9 the last 2 games,now sit 14th on the PP,and 3rd on the PK.
Cole Purboo scored 2 and added 2 assists in the last 2 games to lead the club offensively.
Tyler Angle, Connor Corcoran,both had decent weekends offensively, while 17 year old dmen Louka Henault and Nathan Staios had decent weekends working the D.
No question there are several players in my view who have underachieved offensively this season.
Luke Kitkevicious, though he scored today,Igor Larionov, Luke Boka,Chris Playfair,Cody Morgan, Mathew Macdougall ,Curtis Douglas,though he scored too today ,are the forwards who need to produce, while dman Lev Starikov has been the most noticeable underachieving guy on the back end,benched twice in the last 2 games,he needs to get back to the way he was playing late last year,especially this being his draft year.
These next few games will go to determining who stays or goes, especially those up front.
Dipietro seems to have bounced back after a slow start, Piironen seems set on being able to replace Dipietro, the kids are playing well,those 17 and under in particular.
Should have added 17 year old winger Daniel D'amico as another forward who has struggled so far.
In my view team has played better then its record shows,they have been in every game,no losses more then 2 goals,excluding empty netters.
Work ahead,yes,possible changes yes,
bleak no.
I agree not is all bleak - our future looks bright but the present not so much. It is almost like the vets know we are not going to have a big year so " why bother"? WR said it up front at the beginning of the year - we are going to struggle to score and it will mostly be by committee.
I think everyone can sense something is up with the vets and lack of interest is not good for a young team - losing becomes a culture and we have been down that road before.
Not too late to turn this around but it has to come from within - there is no block buster trade that is going to save the day this year. We will see moves for sure but mostly for picks and younger players.
This year has to be the building block for the future - just don't let something fester that will upset the culture in the "go for it" years.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Really liked Douglas with Foudy yesterday - Ya the speeds don't match but Douglas looked like he had a reason to play again. He looked happy on the bench and you could tell he was meshing with Foudy - would hope they play together more.
D'Amico and MacDougall both snake bitten - they are probably tied for the most posts hit. If they start connecting it will be a boost for themselves and the team. They are putting in the hard work but not getting the rewards.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It might not be bleak but it doesn't look like it's going to get a lot better any time soon either. We all see the posts about the veterans being inconsistent and not carrying the load. If it comes down to making moves it's not like the team will be getting better. Who's going to replace the departing players? This is still likely going to take until 2020/2021 to really get to a stage where they can contend for something meaningful. Take a look at some of the guys MacDougall 4 points in his first 3 games and nothing since. Yes it's early but I believe last year he had a 19 game pointless streak as well. So there are still signs that the inconsistency is there.

The Spits PK is very good unfortunately the PP has been the opposite. Overall what you're getting is a saw off. It puts a lot of pressure on them 5 on 5, 4 on 4 to be better than the other team and that's been an area of concern for some time now. If we are to look at the players returning from last year to this year at this point there are more players who have stagnated or regressed than improved. That's on the players as well as the coaches. So if the players are going to be the ones that eventually take the fall the coaching staff better improve.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Foudy and Cuylle named to Canada's U17 roster.

Happy for the 2 of them, could have easily been 3 forwards had Kyle McDonald been chosen,as he has looked good in the 4 games that he has played. While points are not everything he has the same number of points that Ottawa's 2 forwards chosen Tolnai and Maggio,as well as Valade from Kitchener ,1 point a goal,difference from the others,Ottawa's 2 have played 11 games each and Kitchener's 9.
Windsor and Ottawa only OHL teams with more then 1 forward chosen,2 each.
Should add that Macdonald has same number of points as Luke Vierling of Flint,2nd player taken in this years draft,and more points then London 's Evangelista and Oshawa' Dylan Robinson, both who have 0 but have played more games.

Last edited:
Reactions: OHLTG

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Mario Culina signs with Growlers..

↕️ ROSTER MOVE | The Newfoundland Growlers sign Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario native, Mario Culina to a standard, ECHL contract.
More info: bit.ly/2Eny1HY
Single Game Tickets are now ON-SALE! Head to mileonecentre.com for more information.
#StandOnGuard

Reactions: randomhero4life

ChewChewTrain

Dec 30, 2017
Sad to see Igor go. This does open up a spot in the lineup for another player which seems to work out great. Igor played well when he was in the lineup but was often missing games and never could seem to stay healthy. 20 years old and going elsewhere to finish his Junior Hockey, wish him the best!

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Spits ROSTER NEWS: Igor Larionov Jr has opted to leave the club to finish his junior hockey career in the U.S. We wish Igor all the best.
Wonder if he heads to Muskegon to play with hid buddy Lynch?

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Looks like the Larionov hug is over. Jr is likely gone to play with Lynch This May throw a wrench into the “realationship”. We’ll see.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not overly surprised that he left. You could see the flashes of talent last year and I was eager to see it this year. However, something about his game just didn't seem to fit this season. Kutkevicius and Allen were always involved in the play. Larionov, not so much. Good luck to him in his future. I had the chance to meet his parents and they're great people.

member 71782

With a few teams with more than 3 OAs I have a feeling Rychel brings in an OA he hopes will provide a bit more of an impact that also helps stabilize the line up a bit.

Cue the rumours.

Reactions: OHLTG

member 71782

I'd look up the info, but the roster portion of the OHL site seems to be malfunctioning...

Actually just OS with 4 OAs. Barrie has 4 listed but I believe only 3 as of now with 1 in the AHL. I thought there were a couple more.

Regardless of how many teams have there are probably a couple who could be available.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Igor wasn't an Import; he's been in North America for several years.
Yes OHLTG I think he was born in US...He's not the player I was thinking about being replaced by an import tender.
Larionov IMHO has been the most consistent O/A on our team. Also IMHO just the first shoe to drop...
BTW understand Knights have another US player on the way.
...Wonder if Larionov counts as a lost card since he hasn't played 10 games..perhaps a transition card.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Larionov couldn't stay healthy and didn't produce much on the ice. His time here u could see was near the end. Best that he left to get a fresh start somewhere else.
Windsor has to start making decisions on where this team is heading towards. Still other players on this team that have not preformed well. Need to start cleaning up the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad