Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
There's no way to tell how changes would affect the club, though I wouldn't be surprised if part of the issue is more systematic than players.

We don't know this, though. Really. None of us know the true value of most of the players. How we value them could be completely different than how one team values them.

What would these changes entail? Is it change to get better or is it change for the sake of change? The biggest thing is the players have changed since last year after the deadline but they still play the same way. That's an indictment of the players and coaches. It's an all encompassing issue. Why can't they score goals? They couldn't do it last year once Luchuk/Brown were traded and it's the same thing now.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, is probably true in the case of Spit management and the fan base as it is with most teams. We just naturally think our players are better than they really are.
One example in the last little while is Sirman, who the Spits dealt to Ottawa for a late pick. Ottawa thought so much of him they waived him and he ended up in the Q.
When looking at the Spits I think we need to be realistic in our view of the future. IMHO the Spits appear to be a 7th/8th place team. The question is will that hold true if they deal Mikey sooner than later and if they deal the vets sooner than later. It should as other teams appear worse than us.
Again IMHO it won’t make a lot of difference $$ wise if you look at playoff gates.
Getting back to our vets. I think WR should move our O/A and 99s who the coach rotates in and out of the line-up. Those players who are here to lend experience to the rookies & younger players as they develop can’t do much of that from the bleachers and I’d bet dollars to donuts they’d be much happier in greener pastures...

The fans are probably more realistic than the organization. To start the year Rychel said this is along the lines of an 07-08 season but if you match up those teams there is nothing with this group that resembles that team in 08. The issue is that these players aren't performing at a high enough level to get value in return.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Windsor at Kingston
Waiting for the starting tenders.
Scratches all healthy are Frasca,McDonald and Starikov
Dipietro gets the start in goal for Windsor.

Last edited:
Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Douglas, Angle, and Corcoran all have goals in the first period this afternoon. I know Foudy, Allen, and Purboo (at least) all have assists, too.

member 71782

Good to see the Spits finish the weekend with a win.

DiPietro looked much more focused, played a solid game.

The team overall had a more consistent effort throughout the entire game.

As for the weekend overall.

Against Ottawa they had a decent start but quickly spiraled downwards combined with Ottawa outplaying them.

Against Peterborough, much the same. Came out well, Peterborough took over but Spits kept battling for the most part.

Today Kingston had a decent start, Spits hung in and gradually took control for much of the game.

If they can build some consistency in their effort they can have a good season. No illusions, they aren't going to surprise anyone with challenging for any titles but if the vets can lead and contribute, the kids can build consistent efforts and the coaching staff can match up complimentary players with each other then the promise on paper that this team could be can start to take shape.

I still think a couple of moves sooner rather than later need to happen and this team still needs to get younger.

One good game does not change things, the issues are still there but just not as evident today.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with a win finally.
Young kids played well again.
Purboo couple of points
Dipietro played very well.
I agree issues r still there on the team but for this game they got away with it.
Changes need to be done n very soon.
Vets need to be moved.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
All three games, to an extent, were winnable. Ottawa was a lack of shots, which didn't help matters. Ptbo was much better shot total but ran into a really good goaltender (2 goals on 40 shots is incredible). Today's game was hard working and a few good bounces. Douglas using his size, Purboo's pass out front, Kutkevicius and Purboo SH; they did the job. DiPietro made some highlight reel saves, too, and is getting back into form.

Would it have been nice to get 3-4 points on this trip? Absolutely. Does finishing it with a win, plus the good effort against the Petes, help? Yep. Get ready for Barrie on Thurs, plus another tough roadie on the weekend.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
All three games, to an extent, were winnable. Ottawa was a lack of shots, which didn't help matters. Ptbo was much better shot total but ran into a really good goaltender (2 goals on 40 shots is incredible). Today's game was hard working and a few good bounces. Douglas using his size, Purboo's pass out front, Kutkevicius and Purboo SH; they did the job. DiPietro made some highlight reel saves, too, and is getting back into form.

Would it have been nice to get 3-4 points on this trip? Absolutely. Does finishing it with a win, plus the good effort against the Petes, help? Yep. Get ready for Barrie on Thurs, plus another tough roadie on the weekend.

With the way Windsor played on Friday n Saturday they were not winable.
The elephant is still in the room.
They have not taken care of the issues.

Reactions: TheGremlin

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Being winnable and playing well enough to win are two different things. If they played Fri and Sat like they played today's game, no reason they couldn't win. That said, I agree that something is off.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With the way Windsor played on Friday n Saturday they were not winable.
The elephant is still in the room.
They have not taken care of the issues.

Disagree about Saturday outshot Peterborough 26-10 plus empty net shot goal the last 2 periods,game up for grabs,Spits no puck luck that game,Mcdougall hits crossbar,Peterborough scores winner right after, deserved no less then 3 points on weekend, easily could have been 4.
Did know Windsor only allowed 4- 5 on 5 goals total all weekend, 8 goals total excluding empty netters.
In fact they scored 8 all weekend, the opposition 8.
Defensively and goaltending both of them,Dipietro and Piironen were very solid.
I know you wont give credit,so I will.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Disagree about Saturday outshot Peterborough 26-10 plus empty net shot goal the last 2 periods,game up for grabs,Spits no puck luck that game,Mcdougall hits crossbar,Peterborough scores winner right after, deserved no less then 3 points on weekend, easily could have been 4.
Did know Windsor only allowed 4- 5 on 5 goals total all weekend, 8 goals total excluding empty netters.
In fact they scored 8 all weekend, the opposition 8.
Defensively and goaltending both of them,Dipietro and Piironen were very solid.
I know you wont give credit,so I will.

So Petes had no puck luck?
They hit a post or crossbar too.
A bounce here or there they would of scored more goals on Windsor.
I know u won't give them credit so i will.
They deserved the win.
Sound familiar?????

Reactions: TheGremlin

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So Petes had no puck luck?
They hit a post or crossbar too.
A bounce here or there they would of scored more goals on Windsor.
I know u won't give them credit so i will.
They deserved the win.
Sound familiar?????
No they didn't deserve the win,and they didn't hit no posts or bars,were outshot, by 10,scoring chances slighty more by Windsor,that's ok u will always be negative u cant help it, whatever makes u feel good have at it.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
No they didn't deserve the win,and they didn't hit no posts or bars,were outshot, by 10,scoring chances slighty more by Windsor,that's ok u will always be negative u cant help it, whatever makes u feel good have at it.

Yes they were the better team. Sometimes u have to just admit it.
Yes they did hit the goal post in the 3rd period.
And u will always be the spitfires cheerleader.
Whatever makes u feel good have at it also.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Good to see the Spits finish the weekend with a win.

DiPietro looked much more focused, played a solid game.

The team overall had a more consistent effort throughout the entire game.

As for the weekend overall.

Against Ottawa they had a decent start but quickly spiraled downwards combined with Ottawa outplaying them.

Against Peterborough, much the same. Came out well, Peterborough took over but Spits kept battling for the most part.

Today Kingston had a decent start, Spits hung in and gradually took control for much of the game.

If they can build some consistency in their effort they can have a good season. No illusions, they aren't going to surprise anyone with challenging for any titles but if the vets can lead and contribute, the kids can build consistent efforts and the coaching staff can match up complimentary players with each other then the promise on paper that this team could be can start to take shape.

I still think a couple of moves sooner rather than later need to happen and this team still needs to get younger.

One good game does not change things, the issues are still there but just not as evident today.

I agree with a lot of this. My question is how come they can only bring a "high level" of play for 10-14 minutes and then their game really tails off. I don't expect perfect play because that's impossible. What isn't acceptable though is the inconsistent stretches though. Furthermore doesn't anyone know yet what they want to do as a group? Letowski has been here for awhile and he should have put his stamp on the team by now but it's a real inconsistent group.

Reactions: member 71782

member 71782

I agree with a lot of this. My question is how come they can only bring a "high level" of play for 10-14 minutes and then their game really tails off. I don't expect perfect play because that's impossible. What isn't acceptable though is the inconsistent stretches though. Furthermore doesn't anyone know yet what they want to do as a group? Letowski has been here for awhile and he should have put his stamp on the team by now but it's a real inconsistent group.

With the kids some consistency issues are to be expected, especially when they are carrying the load with a lot of the tougher minutes. They've been the most consistent, at least in effort. The results will eventually come with experience for most.

The older players are where the consistency issues are really bothersome. It's one thing to have four lines rolling but when it is mainly older players playing third and fourth line minutes instead of a more equitable distribution of minutes, some obvious exceptions of course the value the veteran group brings has to be called into question. If vets are playing fewer minutes then on a younger team those minutes are best served by adding more youth.

If you are only getting half a game of good, consistent effort and the young kids are playing most of the minutes over established vets then the younger kids will wear down, get a bit overwhelmed etc. That of course again comes back to the quality of vets on the team/where their skill sets fit into the systems the coaching staff are trying to implement.

The coaching staff not knowing what they have, who fits best with who etc is the common thread in all of this. I've said before I like what Letowski appears to be trying to implement but not knowing where your players fit within that system nine games is not a good sign. At the same time while lines do and should get juggled at times throughout a game/season posted starting line ups don't resemble anything close to who is on the ice with whoever else may be out there at any given moment after the first five minutes. This shows that there has been more grasping at straws trying to make something work then actual planning/practice and insight into putting together matching skill sets that compliment each other. I was hopeful Letowski and co. would do much better than this. With a young team in particular there needs to be a chance to build some chemistry but at the same time you have to develop that in practice, put it into in game experience and give it a couple of periods to if it's going to work. When everyone seems to have had ice time with every other player on the team by the time the second period rolls around you have to question what is going on.

Hopefully a win today that came out of a decent effort gives them a bit of confidence. Hopefully the coaching staff saw something from this weekend in terms of who should be playing with each other, get them together in practice and build some chemistry between them over the next few days.

If after nine games you still don't know who/what works though there are questions that need to be asked of those making the decisions.

It's not all doom and gloom. I like the direction the coaching staff seems to want to get to but the path has been questionable. Players that should be playing together, while not showing up on the starting line up most of the time seem to be coming together at points throughout each game and hopefully the staff are noticing and will figure it out when it's been put on display at times.

This year is going to be frustrating if things continue this way, not solely because of the players, effort levels etc but because of the questionable decisions with the game planning. I think each game is going to an exercise in frustration or relief for the fans depending on the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad