Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
When the same thing happened the other way around, a good OHL player wanting to play in the QMJHL because he wanted to attend university in Quebec, Branch blocked it and the player ended up not playing in the CHL. If the possibility is there 2-ways, I have no problem with making moves like that. But Branch decided otherwise.

Was said player an OA?

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Was said player an OA?

What difference does it make?

Look, I don't want to make big thing out of it. They are just kids afterall.

But if I was a Drummondville fan I would just be pissed to see a player supposed to be on my first line in a Cup contending year leaving for another junior team, as you would all be.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Not so fast grasshopper. You can have your cake and eat it too. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that a player/his parents/his agent want to place the player in the best possible position to succeed, and obviously they don’t feel it’s in Drummondville. If it’s one of the 3 OHL teams close to his home the Volts can make a side deal and in that case it’s about the bucks . However as an O/A he does have the option to move up the ladder, turn pro and make the $$$ as do any of the overagers. The only advantage to him staying in Jr would be an extra year of paid education.

The problem is that it doesn't do any good for Drummondville to do this. First of all he would need to clear waivers in the Q and I don't see why a team would voluntarily not put in a claim on him. Your example of Kadlec in this instance when it came time to the OHL both Flint/Saginaw get first waiver priority over Windsor eg.. Barrie put in claim for Kadlec(worst team in the league). There's no reason why a team like Flint or Saginaw shouldn't want to put in a claim and you can be damned sure they won't be in a giving mood to just give that player away to Windsor.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Was said player an OA?

hes talking about ex windsor prospect matt peca. no one wanted windsor to just give him away (i agree) so they cant now expect drummonville to do what they didnt want windsor to do.

and on an aside, lynch wouldnt be good enoguh to play in the khl, point a game chl players dont go to the khl. im sure he could find something over seas, but the khl is for nhl/ahl players, not chl graduates. he could play division 2 in finland/sweden/germany (d1 german league is hard to play in as well), but the khl is the second best league outside of the nhl, thats a massive step, north american players in the khl usually are more established pros if you looked at the rosters.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
What difference does it make?

Look, I don't want to make big thing out of it. They are just kids afterall.

But if I was a Drummondville fan I would just be pissed to see a player supposed to be on my first line in a Cup contending year leaving for another junior team, as you would all be.

Difference being one player played 3-4 years in his designated league and then wanted to better his pro chances elsewhere. The other player wanted to head to a different league as a 16 yr old and setting a huge precedence whereby there could be a talent exodus from league to league. OA's are a different beast in that they are limited to three spots on any CHL team so limited spots and have many other options outside of the CHL.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

I can completely understand this. It'd be like Windsor losing Addison in their Cup year because he didn't want to be here.

It would be nice if he showed in Windsor but I can understand if he ends up somewhere else.

Reactions: SergeConstantin74

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Difference being one player played 3-4 years in his designated league and then wanted to better his pro chances elsewhere. The other player wanted to head to a different league as a 16 yr old and setting a huge precedence whereby there could be a talent exodus from league to league. OA's are a different beast in that they are limited to three spots on any CHL team so limited spots and have many other options outside of the CHL.

just for clarity, peca was 18/19 when he wanted to go to the qmjhl, he was already headed to the ncaa when the drama started.

Reactions: SergeConstantin74

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
OHLTG or any1? Is the Spits main camp tryout schedule released yet? I may be Windsor a few days here n there, late Aug/early Sept. Wouldn't mind stopping by if there is an opportunity.
Really hoping CM can take a step forward this year. Good kid.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
OHLTG or any1? Is the Spits main camp tryout schedule released yet? I may be Windsor a few days here n there, late Aug/early Sept. Wouldn't mind stopping by if there is an opportunity.
Really hoping CM can take a step forward this year. Good kid.
Players report Aug. 27, (48 players) and the scrimmages begin on the following day. Source: Dave Jewell, hockeywriters.com

Last edited:

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Players report Aug. 27, (48 players) and the scrimmages begin on the following day. Source: Dave Jewell, hockeywriters.com
018 Training Camp.
The camp will consist of a check-in day on Monday (closed to the public) and three days of on and off-ice sessions before the team hits the road for the 2nd Annual OHL Showcase at Harborcenter in Buffalo, New York.
MONDAY, AUGUST 27TH
Players arrive to check in, get their photos taken and do physical assessments with team doctors and training staff.
TUESDAY, AUGUST 28TH
On and off-ice sessions begin. All open to the public. All Team Rosters are TBD
9:00am-10:00am: Team Blue Practice
10:15am-11:45am: Team Red vs Team White Scrimmage
2:15pm-3:15pm: Team Red Practice
3:30pm-5:00pm: Team Blue vs Team White Scrimmage
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 29TH
9:00am-10:00am: Team White Practice
10:15am-11:45am: Team Red vs Team Blue Scrimmage
Afternoon Session TBD
THURSDAY, AUGUST 30TH
10:00am: 4 on 4 Scrimmage
7:00pm: Blue vs White Game @ WFCU Centre
Admission to this year’s Blue-White Game is free

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I can completely understand this. It'd be like Windsor losing Addison in their Cup year because he didn't want to be here.

It would be nice if he showed in Windsor but I can understand if he ends up somewhere else.

Actually Addison is a bad example because he is from Toronto area and would still be playing in the O,unlike Lynch who is from Michigan, near a host of OHL teams,a state that is OHL territory, understand what u mean but you have to use a residential comparative not home province comparative.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Boo hoo Drummondville, nobody cries for a cup contender who loses their over aged player and they aren't about to start for you. It happens every year whether it's a guy going pro or leaving to be closer to home, it doesn't matter. It seems Serge is insinuating Branch favoring Windsor over the Quebec league but I would assure him that is lunacy. Branch's hatred of Windsor supercedes any hatred he might have for Quebec.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With the announcement of 48 players coming to camp here is my prediction on 42-44 of them

Goal-(6)- Dipietro,Baier, Piiroinen, Medina, Shiller, Botelho

Defense(13)- Corcoran, Starikov, Staios, Henault, Ladd, Evans, Johnston, Robinson,Shier,Babic, Dobrich,Wang,
Stevenson

Forwards- Larionov, McDougall, Purboo, Boka, Douglas, D'amico, Angle Frasca,Sirman, Morgan, Kitkevicius, Playfair, Foudy, Brimmer, McDonald, Kelly, Lemmer, Andrews, Rychel,Taylor,Russett,Hayes, Scullion, Uliczny, Agrseti

Free agents between 4-6,with 2 D and 3-4 F,no FA goalies.

Players not expected
Goalie-Patton been told he will be
playing JrB in Waterloo (where he is from) has cleared waivers

Defense- Erik Yelle (17) has walked away from the game
Fensore,Webber

Forwards-C.Stevens,Luke Tuch,Drew Elser, Mathew Crasa, William Mckown,C.Recchi

No doubt there are some on the non list that I would like to have there
A note all but Christian Stevens were not at rookie camp and he at this time is a US College committ.
Interesting to see how accurate the list will be

Last edited:
Reactions: punch1943

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not surprised about no FA goalies. Between Medina, Baier, DiPietro, and Piiroinen, there isn't room for another one.

Patton being put on waivers doesn't surprise me, either. He deserves a chance to play.

I hope everything is okay with Yelle. He has the size to really do well.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The problem is that it doesn't do any good for Drummondville to do this. First of all he would need to clear waivers in the Q and I don't see why a team would voluntarily not put in a claim on him. Your example of Kadlec in this instance when it came time to the OHL both Flint/Saginaw get first waiver priority over Windsor eg.. Barrie put in claim for Kadlec(worst team in the league). There's no reason why a team like Flint or Saginaw shouldn't want to put in a claim and you can be damned sure they won't be in a giving mood to just give that player away to Windsor.

Actually you are wrong Kadlec came to Windsor by way of Oshawa where he played 2 games after being waived out of WHL,Generals whom the Spits have a good relationship placed him on waivers Windsor claimed him Barrie not involved at all.
As for reasoning re teams like Saginaw and Flint playing difficult,his agents relationship with Osgood and Devallano part owners of Saginaw,and Flint knowing full well his influence why would either team screw with him when favors down the road are paid back,it's known that agents control the Euro draft, so if you have relationships you nurture them not get in the way.
Rarely do teams screw each other when it comes to waived players because in time a bad act can be returned,and chances worse then the original.
If u think this is untrue you are living in a fantasy.

Reactions: OHLTG

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Interesting fact
4 former Spitfire players or head coach are head coaches in the NHL,the most of any team in the OHL,and probably the CHL too.
Joel Queneville (Chicago)
Paul Maurice (Winnipeg)
Bob Boughner (Florida)
Peter Deboer (San Jose)
And the 1st 3 were Dmen in the O.
This info was on the London forum
but got removed.
Guessing factual comparative info not allowed on that forum.

member 71782

Interesting fact
4 former Spitfire players or head coach are head coaches in the NHL,the most of any team in the OHL,and probably the CHL too.
Joel Queneville (Chicago)
Paul Maurice (Winnipeg)
Bob Boughner (Florida)
Peter Deboer (San Jose)
And the 1st 3 were Dmen in the O.
This info was on the London forum
but got removed.
Guessing factual comparative info not allowed on that forum.

What about Claude Julien?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Actually you are wrong Kadlec came to Windsor by way of Oshawa where he played 2 games after being waived out of WHL,Generals whom the Spits have a good relationship placed him on waivers Windsor claimed him Barrie not involved at all.
As for reasoning re teams like Saginaw and Flint playing difficult,his agents relationship with Osgood and Devallano part owners of Saginaw,and Flint knowing full well his influence why would either team screw with him when favors down the road are paid back,it's known that agents control the Euro draft, so if you have relationships you nurture them not get in the way.
Rarely do teams screw each other when it comes to waived players because in time a bad act can be returned,and chances worse then the original.
If u think this is untrue you are living in a fantasy.

Sorry my mistake, of course Kadlec provided zero value so that acquisition didn't help them at all. If those organizations don't have good relationships with Larionov why would all of a sudden a favor be paid back? If you can provide an example of why Saginaw or Flint would do Rychel a solid and how they would get paid back I am all ears. It's not about screwing someone either it's protecting your best interests against a competitor, that isn't screwing someone.

You would be naïve to believe that Windsor has a great relationship with all 19 other teams as well, that would be a fantasy on your part.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't think you need to have a great relationship with every team, though. I can see Legend's point; you might not like every team, and some might not like you, but screwing a team over is a big deal. I wouldn't do that simply because karma can really bite you and you don't want to burn bridges. You never know what could happen. For all we know, down the road, Flint or Saginaw could need Windsor's help with something. "Hey, Rychel, so-and-so's son is eligible to be drafted in the third round. Can you let him slip to us a few below you?" Do Windsor a solid now, the favour is returned if possible. Doesn't mean the teams are buddy-buddy, but a mutual respect.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
I don't understand how it would be screwing Windsor if the highly unlikely and unthinkable happened; Lynch passing through the Q waivers and the WHL waivers and ending up eligible to be taken by Saginaw or Flint to help bolster their team. I guess they are kind of screwing Windsor by helping their own team or are other teams just supposed to help Windsor because they really want Lynch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad