Windsor Spitfires 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohl16

Jun 27, 2016
I am coming down to Windsor tonight from Flint, MI to see Erie VS SJSD. I was wondering what the parking situation was like and what Windsor fans recommended doing. I have been to Windsor a couple times for games but I just crossed the tunnel and went straight there so not really familiar with the local area. Thank you!

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I am coming down to Windsor tonight from Flint, MI to see Erie VS SJSD. I was wondering what the parking situation was like and what Windsor fans recommended doing. I have been to Windsor a couple times for games but I just crossed the tunnel and went straight there so not really familiar with the local area. Thank you!

We came down for a couple games.
First night cabbed it from downtown. Pretty expensive .
Then a Windsor friend told us to park near the WFCU at the old closed ROBA parking lot, free shuttle bus to the arena from 4pm and after the game.

Find it on your GPS. Real easy to get there, and ample free parking.

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
Then a Windsor friend told us to park near the WFCU at the old closed ROBA parking lot, free shuttle bus to the arena from 4pm and after the game.

Lots of parking at arena although cost is $10

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

It is the old Rona store - on Lauzon PKY - Free bus from there every ten minutes - door to door - no walking in the rain.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Thanks for the tips on stuff guys. I'm positive there will come a time during certain seasons where the Flint-Windsor rivalry gets going and there will be players I don't like and I will have disagreements on this board and thread. I didn't have much time tonight to really get around the city and see if there was any Memorial Cup hype, but once again I had a wonderful expierience at the WFCU. Fabulous hosts, as I expected. I am a bit bias as it may be my favorite arena...period. Certainly tops in the O with a nod to Owen Sound. The staff is top notch and super friendly. Anytime Windsor is in the running for a MC bid, I'll certainly support it. It won't break my heart if a team from my side of the border wins it, but I'm cheering for the Spits to win this year. Good luck guys.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Final is windsor vs erie.
Windsor who slid in the back door and sprinted to the finals with a few wins.
Against erie who won 4 rounds of the playoffs, won an ohl championship and won a few games in the Memorial Cup.
Should be a good game.
The system is broken but windsor took full advantage of it n made it to finals.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
If Windsor was healthy all year they might have went in has the OHL champion Stanley makes the team a lot better when he is in the line up good luck Sunday

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Sunday's game between Windsor and Erie will mark the 1st time that 2 OHL teams will meet in the Mem Cup final since 1993,when host Sault Greyhounds beat Peterborough.
Interesting Spits owner Bob Boughner was Captain and player for the Hounds that game,let's hope history repeats itself,the host along with Boughner gets to taste victory again.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Regardless who wins the tomorrow it will mark the 3rd straight year that an OHL team has won the the Memorial Cup,last year it was London,in 2015 it was Oshawa.
Had the last OHL host London done its job in 2014,we would be looking at 4 straight OHL Mem Cup Champs.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Regardless who wins the tomorrow it will mark the 3rd straight year that an OHL team has won the the Memorial Cup,last year it was London,in 2015 it was Oshawa.
Had the last OHL host London done its job in 2014,we would be looking at 4 straight OHL Mem Cup Champs.

Hahaha you've always got London on your mind. I love it.

Oldbarn Newhay

Mar 31, 2016
Windsor vs Saint John Sunday nite.

Should have been.

Erie was ripe for the taking last night. St. John game plan appeared to be "we're not going to lose 12-5 again." Very little offense from St. John. Failed to take advantage of high end shots by looking to pass. Lackluster effort by Erie. Soft 3rd goal changed the game.

Would love to have been in the referee's room for Cairn's explanation of how he forgot which team he was calling a penalty on.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Had an awesome time with my dad in Windsor yesterday. Got to take a picture with Pete Deboer before the game, it's on instagram with the hashtag #MCMemorialcup. I'm a Firebirds/USA U-18 fan and post in those boards and it was cool to see some Firebirds fans there. Savard was that you with the O'Donnell jersey?

Anyway went to The Foundry Pub for a beer and food. Had a cool conversation with the bartender there and said McDavid was in that bar after game 1 of the tournament. Wasn't a whole lot of "buzz" around the city. What he was telling me was what I think a lot of people felt. He said he was a huge fan from 2009-2011 and fell off after that. I know there is still plenty of die hards though. Once walking into the seating bowl the feeling comes over you that it's such an awesome OHL barn. I've been to Plymouth many times, Erie many times, even got to see my former fav team the Whalers play at the "Jack" in Niagara before they built the new Meridian Centre (very cool classic barn) but the WFCU takes the cake. Still has the old school smaller bowl feel but with a great modern touch. Lighting is perfect for junior hockey, not too bright but not too dim either.

The gameplay was good, glad to see Erie win to set up an all OHL final. Next year I have to get to Flint to see my Firebirds play. Enjoy the game tomorrow everyone.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
If Windsor was healthy all year they might have went in has the OHL champion Stanley makes the team a lot better when he is in the line up good luck Sunday

If is the key word.
I want windsor to win.
But I am not basing everything on an "if"

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
All I know is I'm getting a hate on for Erie that is becoming very close to
London
Go Spits Go

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

I agree with this statement, except change London to Guelph. 2014 Storm was IMO the best team in the CHL that year.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I agree with this statement, except change London to Guelph. 2014 Storm was IMO the best team in the CHL that year.

That is irrevelant. Better to hate on the 3rd best team in the O that year for failing to win than the best team ;).

But as many have pointed out the tourney set up is flawed and I agree.

London didn't deserve to play for a national title in 14, I agree ( as you yourself said so over n over, backdoor was used often in 2014 by a team that outperformed yours this year in reg season and POs- so Im guessing you figure Windsor shouldn't be there either?????)

Id love you to try n explain the difference when you were so hard on the 2014 hosts PRE tournament. But not having the same standard in 2017.

Good luck Sunday. If ya win Im sure we will hear about it. If they lose Im sure you'll reference London, the refs n whatever else in some way, shape or form.

Last edited by a moderator:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The nite before the Memorial Cup final and all is quiet.......

I've been out all day :laugh:

Still a dozen or two tickets available on Stubhub, if you're willing to pay more than face value. There are some on Kijiji, too, but they're even more money.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I've been out all day :laugh:

Still a dozen or two tickets available on Stubhub, if you're willing to pay more than face value. There are some on Kijiji, too, but they're even more money.

Have a good time tomorrow buddy. Win or lose Ill know youll enjoy the day!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm going to soak it all in. Can't take it too seriously. Nobody expected Windsor to be in this spot. If they win, great, it'll make for a fun post-game. If they lose, there's still lots to do and Erie deserves it. Give me a competitive game and I'm content...(or Windsor with a blowout LOL)

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Game day! If ya got tickets get down early n enjoy the atmosphere surrounding a championship game. Im sure there will be a little nervousness from fans as it gets underway.

I think Windsor needs to have a good start. As Razor has pointed out their style n systems are much more effective when not trailing (Have they even given up a game tying goal in this tourney?)
Once out front they have done a great job protecting the house. DiPi has given up rebounds but the Spits always have a body or stick there to move it to a safe spot. The D zone game plan has worked. Pack it in, then block it, or clear the rebound.
I think Erie will outshoot them by a good margin and control possession again but they can be had. IF Windsor can capitilize on their chances at a higher rate than Erie. Since Erie will get more of them.
Erie does a good job of adjusting. They'll be looking to crash the blue ice. And get to those rebounds. Battle of wills at this point

As a neutral fan I would like to see a close game.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Going to be a fun day! Must be hard for the OA's in this game - focused on trying to win it all but knowing this will be their last game ever in junior hockey. Cannot remember the last time "standing room" tickets were a hot commodity! OHL never gave up a game in the tournament and it will again be an OHL champ. I'm already pacing -----

DROP THE PUCK!!!!!

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Good luck to Windsor tonight.
Love to c them win.
Either way I get a chance to boo BRanch.
Go spits Go.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Wishing the Spits the best of luck tonight. Hopefully, it's a close exciting game with the refs being none factors and no controversies. Unless that all goes in the Spitfires favour and not the Otters, then it's cool:laugh:

But when all is said and done, regardless of who prevails with the 99th addition of the Memorial Cup. It would be wonderful to see fans from around the CHL, join arm in arm with Otter and Spitfire fans in a we are the world type rendition of Sweet Caroline, Eire Insure..errr Tullio Arena style!!!

Go Spits!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad