Windsor Spitfires 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Spits vs Erie-O for all the Marbles

Looking forward to a great game tonight. The Spits IMHO were built for this game.
We do have the best goaltender and the best PK. I'd give Erie the nod as the better offensive team but if we can stay away from silly penalties I feel we can come away with the win.
Looking to see Vilardi dominate down low and have a huge game...

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
Looking forward to a great game tonight. The Spits IMHO were built for this game.
We do have the best goaltender and the best PK. I'd give Erie the nod as the better offensive team but if we can stay away from silly penalties I feel we can come away with the win.
Looking to see Vilardi dominate down low and have a huge game...

I said this on January 25
Warren built this big strong hockey club for 3 games and hopefully a final

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Good luck tonight to you guys..I anticipate a hard fought-close game..-could very well come down to the last 5 minutes type of thing..OR will it be blown open in the 1st period? We'll give it everything we have , then be bottom feeders for another 2-3 years..But its been a great ride and was worth it..

PS YOUNGBLOOD-We would be willing to offer tips of ETIQUETTE ( which is defined as " The rules indicating the proper and polite way to behave") in re to Sweeeeeeet Caroline.....:D

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Tonight's game boils down to Mikey and Timpano - Spits will get out shot but Timpano allows more on fewer shots - if he gets hot???? I could see OT with this one - has not been an OT game all through this tourney. Not sure my heart can take OT but I think it will be that close.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think "three games and a final" was meant to mean they're big, strong, but can put the puck in the net. They'll wear you down defensively, too.

member 71782

Game day.

IMO the key to Windsor winning today is to come out the way they did in the first period of the last preliminary game against Erie, dictate the pace of the game while still being responsible defensively.

This team is capable of beating anyone if they play like that and if they do it again today they are capable of coming out the winner.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I think "three games and a final" was meant to mean they're big, strong, but can put the puck in the net. They'll wear you down defensively, too.

I think it was meant. This team is good for a sprint. Not a marathon.
3 to 5 games. Not the long haul.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Game day.

IMO the key to Windsor winning today is to come out the way they did in the first period of the last preliminary game against Erie, dictate the pace of the game while still being responsible defensively.

This team is capable of beating anyone if they play like that and if they do it again today they are capable of coming out the winner.

This was a lengthy topic of conversation last night at work. I said it then and I'll say it now - if Windsor attacks Erie for 60 minutes, they'll be fine. If Windsor gets the lead, and then holds back, it won't be good. If Erie gets the lead, Windsor needs to attack the entire game.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Game day.

They need the first goal desperately. We saw the last 2 periods on Wednesday and it was sub-optimal.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
This was a lengthy topic of conversation last night at work. I said it then and I'll say it now - if Windsor attacks Erie for 60 minutes, they'll be fine. If Windsor gets the lead, and then holds back, it won't be good. If Erie gets the lead, Windsor needs to attack the entire game.

No team has been able to attack Erie for 60 min.

Windsor has to do what they did successfully last game. Get a lead/ keep it tied or at worst down 1. Then pack it in defensively, keep Otters out of the blue ice and clean up 2nd chance opportunities.
I like the way Stanley is playing. Watch him closely. Using his length very effeciently in the Dzone.
They will need another big game from a top F.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
No team has been able to attack Erie for 60 min.

Windsor has to do what they did successfully last game. Get a lead/ keep it tied or at worst down 1. Then pack it in defensively, keep Otters out of the blue ice and clean up 2nd chance opportunities.
I like the way Stanley is playing. Watch him closely. Using his length very effeciently in the Dzone.
They will need another big game from a top F.

I meant they can't hold back and let Erie come to them. Play an aggressive 60 min instead of the trap.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I meant they can't hold back and let Erie come to them. Play an aggressive 60 min instead of the trap.

Gotcha. I agree to be agressive, go for it when #s, turnovers or whenever opportunity arises.
But I just think best chance of winning is being aggressive in their DZone comittment to the system they've played so well this weak. . Pack it in, block shots, limit 2nd chances. Erie will carry the play and as Windsor showed (and London in a couple PO games) you can weather the storm and win IF that DZone coverage is spot on and packed in.

If you get too aggressive offensively and allow odd man rushes itslights out.

Obviously special teams are a big key. Windsor will need a mostly disciplined Otter squad to take more minors than they do. Or at least more to start to get Spits off n running.

I still think Erie will win tonight, but its all right there for Windsor. Home ice, a top goalie and good defensive game plan.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Tied game at this point but i did want to throw out a "HUGE" congrats to this WINDSOR Spitfire Team. The Injuries, the unbelievable road trip of death, going out in the first round, and yet here they are playing in the last game of the season for all the marbles.

I know the WINDSOR faithful have been rough on this team for a huge portion of the season but you have to give credit where credit has been earned and this team has met every possible obstacle a team could face in a given season head on. And they are still breathing, simply a strong gutsy performance and the team has to be recognized for never quitting. Congrats ..........:):):) I can't see how anyone could say this team hasn't represented their city well.

Boomer48

Jan 3, 2017
Same video goal judge that was in london?
Same damn ref.... darcy. burchel
So obvious no goal

Last edited:

NineteenSixtyFive

Mar 7, 2016
I'm still stunned that they counted that kick in. Kudos to the spits for not letting it affect them and answering right back. :handclap:

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
If wasnt just a redirect it was a clear kicking motion.Wtf its the OHL............

Either way the Spits just making it this far is unbeleivable after a mediocre season.

I give credit when due and barbs when justified.

I just hope they boo the hell out of wee davey whom ever gets the cup, knowing fans these days it wont happen but one can wish..........:rant:

Last edited:

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Im glad we've had a couple nice sunny days for the out of towners from all that rain to show what a great climate we have down here in Canada's sun parlour.:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad