Windsor Spitfires 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Congratulations Spits!

What a team to follow. Not many fans can say they've watched a team win Cups thru the front door, back door, back to back, start 0-2, run the table, in each league, on home ice and all in 8 years. Really incredible.

Haters are going to hate. Hate the game not the player and really if it was that easy to do the host team would win it every year.

Solid post as usual Young blood
Agree fully

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Um..... who was named MVP? Who was named to the Mem Cup all-star team?

Can"t find a link anywhere. They used to do those presentations on the ice post game.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Um..... who was named MVP? Who was named to the Mem Cup all-star team?

Can"t find a link anywhere. They used to do those presentations on the ice post game.

MVP: Strong

All star Vildari, Sergachev, Mikey, Debrincat, Raddysh and...? I know OHL tweeted it.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
If anybody in Windsor finds the paper with the Spits on the front, pick up an extra for a michigander please. I'll pay you to ship it over here! I'm trying to put together a 2017 memorial cup collage for the man cave.

What a game.

Incredible hockey atmosphere from the fan area til I left as one of the final 500 people in the stands. I've been watching OHL hockey since I was 4, and never felt so emotionally attached to a team or a game. It was a surreal feeling rooting for the Spits from the Flint walkout last year, and watching this team grow into Memorial Cup Champions. Proud to be a Spitfire fan.

I can't say enough good things about the WFCU, Spitfires and what I've experienced in Windsor the 15-20 times I came over this season. Erie played a great game and had an incredible season. Classy organization over there as well.
Stromes a heck of a player, and honestly don't think they would've been here without him, I think deserving of the MVP. Spits had more of a team effort. Mikey coming up huge, to Knott getting under their skin, From Digi/Purboo/McCool all the way back to the Nother/McEneny pairing. That depth was nice and having three lines than can put up points was huge.

GO SPITS GO!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
MVP was Strome.

Unreal game. Unreal atmosphere. I'll post more when I have a minute (got lots to get done tonight first). I just have one question - anyone know if Zehr's sells crow? :yo:

Calirose

Mar 31, 2012
6ix
Fire it up come on lets go spits lets go buhd take it down to oulette come on fire it up woooo ****in right

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This all feels surreal, still. I've been a fan of this team for 25-years and none of this seems like reality.

One of the best crowds I've ever seen at a game. They announced it at 6,519 or something but I'd imagine it was a couple hundred higher. There were plenty of people in obstructed views.

Credit to Erie as they didn't give Windsor an inch. The biggest differences tonight were DiPietro and Windsor's ability to push the issue. Last game, Windsor played very defensive and didn't attack as much as they could have. Tonight, much different and it paid off.

Hats off to the Otters. This team was built to win and they did everything they could. Nothing to be frustrated about.

I saw the video of Timpano throwing his stick at the camera man. Stupid move, frustration move, but I don't know what's done about it. Maybe suspend for a few games next season if he returns? Camera man was doing his job. Can't blame him. Trust me, I doubt he wanted to be there any more than the players wanted him there (I've done similar).

Even when I saw the players after, it wasn't sinking in for me. Hopefully it will after a day or so. I'm eager to hear about any parade.

Before the tournament started, Digi said "we're not here to take part. We're here to take over." Fans shrugged that off on here. Kind of funny how things turn out. I'd say 4-0 in the Memorial Cup is "taking over." How do you like 'em now? :laugh:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Reports are Rychel to accept upper management job with Colorado Avalanche,also I expect Boughner to be named coach of Florida, Thompson leaving too,end of an era, great way to do it.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Seen a couple tweets about the band breaking up and a new era coming. Can't say I am surprised that Rychel will be jumping to the NHL and Thompson following or AHL

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Congratulations to the Spitfires Organization, Players and Fans. Your season had a lot of challenges especially with injuries. You took a lot of criticism and heard many opinions that were full of doubt, judgement and negativity.

Lots of serious hard work and complete belief from the management, coaches and players erased all that doubt and criticism. The result was 4 straight wins at the toughest tournament to win and another Memorial Cup.

Well done.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Congratulations to the Spitfires Organization, Players and Fans. Your season had a lot of challenges especially with injuries. You took a lot of criticism and heard many opinions that were full of doubt, judgement and negativity.

Lots of serious hard work and complete belief from the management, coaches and players erased all that doubt and criticism. The result was 4 straight wins at the toughest tournament to win and another Memorial Cup.

Well done.

Very solid post,thanks for the kind words,what you wrote all true

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Cinderella Spits Come up Big When it Counts

What a storybook ending to a topsy turvy season! Full marks to the Spitfire management who in 44 days were able to mold this team into the Champs they are.
Whatever Rocky & Warren were preaching the players bought into it 'Big League'.
To see Wee Davie standing on his stool with a grin pasted on his mug having to present the Memorial Cup to Addison & Chatfield was priceless.
Changes may be in the wind but who gives a **** about tomorrow ...We live for today & today we're on top of the world

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Some stats to look at
Bracco leads the way point wise for Windsor with 3G5A in 4 games,Vilardi had 0G,7A, Addison 5G,1A, Brown 1G,4A,Knott,3G1A,Luchuk2G2A, Nattinen,2G2A, Sergachev 1G3A, Stanley,1G1A,Day and Laishram 1A each.
Dipietro led all goalies not surprisingly with a 2.00 Average and an outstanding .932 save percentage,look at the the other goalies,Timpano,.366-.832,Booth 4.06 875,Toth5.29,.806, Stankowski 5.99,.815 he was the best tender by far.
Team wise they scored 18 goals in the 4 games, averaging 4.50,,and allowed 8,2.00 average against, during the regular season averaged 3.41 per game goals for and Dipietro averaged 2.35
On the PP Spits went 6-18,33 per cent,though against Erie they went 3-7 in 2 games for 42 percent, Windsor finished 2nd in PP, Erie- 1st 41 percent,on the PK no surprise Windsor takes 1st in that category 13-16,82 per cent.
When you are at or near the best in all categories generally a recipe for success.

Oldbarn Newhay

Mar 31, 2016
MVP was Strome.

Unreal game. Unreal atmosphere. I'll post more when I have a minute (got lots to get done tonight first). I just have one question - anyone know if Zehr's sells crow? :yo:

They've been sold out since Thursday. I, on the other hand, have a freezer full.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Congrats to the Spitfires on winning the 2017 Memorial Cup !

- They have beaten the three league champions and beat OHL champs Erie Otters twice, deserving it fair and square, great tourney !!!

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Congrats to the Spitfires on winning the 2017 Memorial Cup !

- They have beaten the three league champions and beat OHL champs Erie Otters twice, deserving it fair and square, great tourney !!!

Classy post Fastpace,thanks for the
kind words.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Erie has nothing to be ashamed of, great team all year long. To be honest, as much as I love this win, it's not the same as running through the league then winning the Memorial Cup like we did twice before. But simply awesome to watch us win it on home ice infront of a packed house and on national tv. Going to be a very interesting offseason....

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
There was very little difference between 1 to 5 in the OHL west. These "embarrassments" will stop when the W and Q bring up their level of play.
Congrats Spits. Well deserved.

The OHL should more times than not.
65% of Canada's hockey population live in Ontario, that leaves the other 45% spread out over two leagues.

fansince65

Sep 4, 2015
After a 44 day layoff the Spits still win the Memorial Cup , I give all the credit to the coaching staff , they had this team ready to play , that was one of the best conditioned team's after such a long layoff I ever saw , my congrats go to the coaches for working this team so hard they never missed a beat ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad