Windsor Spitfires 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
When the team returns to the same style they played in the regular season it kind of makes what they did in the regular season relevant again.

Kind of a here we go again moment.

Correct and as mentioned earlier I think a lot of this comes from the fact Windsor didn't have a lot of comfortable victories. They didn't play with a lot of 3 goal leads therefore they don't know how to transfer that into putting the foot on the throat of the opposition. The fortunate part for Windsor is they only have to do it for 1 more game.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
While I have always enjoyed the Memorial Cup, the format is flawed. It has been flawed since they allowed the host team to take part in 1983. The host team was included to sell seats, which was a problem prior to 1983. The OHL and the QMJHL used a super series at one time to determine the host. However that is not possible now because the host city needs a year to organize the circus the Mem Cup has become. A super series might also result in a small building hosting the event which the CHK would not want.

It will never happen, but I would prefer best of 7 series, which was used prior to 1970. They could take the 3 league winners plus the team with best record that lost in their league final.

Saying all this, I certainly will be ecstatic if the Spits win on Sunday and won't care that they qualified through a side door. That was the CHL's decision and the Spits would have taken advantage of it.

I will also be looking forward to attending future Mem Cups.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Can't wait to make it up to my first Memorial Cup game tomorrow. Watched every game from this tournament since 2010 on NHL Network here in the states. Been to a lot of Otters games over the past 4 years with it being just two hours down the I-90 from me. Looking the most forward to seeing Windsor, and the atmosphere in an around the arena.
You likely won't be alone - 300 to 400 hundred Otter fans there last Saturday, not as many last night. It was like home ice for you guys last Saturday. Going to be a fun game - love game 7's.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
While I have always enjoyed the Memorial Cup, the format is flawed. It has been flawed since they allowed the host team to take part in 1983. The host team was included to sell seats, which was a problem prior to 1983. The OHL and the QMJHL used a super series at one time to determine the host. However that is not possible now because the host city needs a year to organize the circus the Mem Cup has become. A super series might also result in a small building hosting the event which the CHK would not want.

It will never happen, but I would prefer best of 7 series, which was used prior to 1970. They could take the 3 league winners plus the team with best record that lost in their league final.

Saying all this, I certainly will be ecstatic if the Spits win on Sunday and won't care that they qualified through a side door. That was the CHL's decision and the Spits would have taken advantage of it.

I like your thought process of the 4 teams.
I agree it won't happen though.
Only going to go to big market teams. That is a big flaw. Eventually big market teams won't bid n then chl has big problems.
The only thing I disagree with is the spits went thru a very large back door. But like u said they r making g the best of it n I appreciate the effort they r displaying. 1 more win.

I like your thought process of the 4 teams.
I agree it won't happen though.
Only going to go to big market teams. That is a big flaw. Eventually big market teams won't bid n then chl has big problems.
The only thing I disagree with is the spits went thru a very large back door. But like u said they r making g the best of it n I appreciate the effort they r displaying. 1 more win.

I've never supported the host team aspect of the Memorial Cup. I think the format is seriously flawed because of this format. I've always felt the best way would be to have the leagues still rotate hosting the event, but each league would agree on a neutral site venue that would be used every time the league hosted the event. With the gates split among the teams anyway the only benefit the host team boasts now is the exposure of their city and rink and the "free ticket" to the show. I'd really like to see the CHL adopt a new format but I don't see it happening.

Host League sends 2 reps

League Champion and League Finalist

other 2 leagues send the League Champ

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Kudos to the players and coaches for great effort in this tourney.Watching the highlights since had to work, looks like Mikey stole the game.That's what great goalies can do for your team.Hope kenny holland was watching across the river.

Nice to see the org. needed a reset and went out in the 44 days off and did it.

Will be an exciting game sunday.

As for the comments of eating crow, I'll take whatever you have left from the reg. season HL.........:laugh::laugh::rant:

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
28 tickets remain for the final on Sunday. Plenty of tickets available for Fri, only 4 sections are sold out for Friday.

Curious where you found this number, since when I went to purchase I couldn't even see a seating chart!

Got my ticket, and can't wait for the game, regardless of outcome.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Assuming Sunday will be a sellout..will that be Windsor's 1st sellout of the season?

will be the 2nd sold out I think.
Mickey Renaud game was sold out I think.
Fans will be mostly gone after Sundays game. It is what it is though.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
My guess is ticket prices. I would've loved to see some of these WHL/QMJHL games since these are good teams I never get to see. However seeing the spits play them for $75 US/$100 CAD in the round robin is tough. I would've liked to catch 3-4 games, but just couldn't justify it. Hoping to head to the final and throw my money at that instead.

Ouch...that is steep. Well enjoy the final. Last night's game underscores how the importance of goaltending can never be under estimated. I have a feeling Erie and the Spits will meet again Sunday.

The Spits may have lost in round one but they are a fine team in their own right and are proving they more than belong in the tourney.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I swear I saw Steve Ott play for the Spits just a few years ago. He has announced his retirement and will be an assistant coach for the St. Louis Blues this fall.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

I dunno if the spits had a full lineup all year ,and in the London series they likely win that 1 ,and whos to say they wouldn't have erie down ,especially when Stanley got hurt he was playing some of the best hockey of career ..brown vilardi Addison and Stanley all missed major chunks of the year ...side door but healthy now and havnt looked one bot ouuta place ..aint like flint or Saginaw are hosting :yo::yo::yo:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Ouch...that is steep. Well enjoy the final. Last night's game underscores how the importance of goaltending can never be under estimated. I have a feeling Erie and the Spits will meet again Sunday.

The Spits may have lost in round one but they are a fine team in their own right and are proving they more than belong in the tourney.

One website did a quick little number crunching game with Memorial Cup tickets. if you were a season ticket holder and bought the package it was a 600% raise on every ticket. Discussed how David Branch mentioned the huge increase in WJ tickets that led to many empty seats for that tournament. He said once the tournament is over they will start talking with organizations about the ticket pricing.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Hats off to the Spits thus far. I guess 44 days off to rest and heal while the rest of the CHL beats the snot out of each other isn't too bad of a game plan ;)

It's actually very similar to the Knights 2014 gameplan, but without all the losing.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think it'll be a lot closer than the first game. Saint John is no pushover; they won the Q for a reason. Erie played nearly a perfect game, at least offensively, the last time they met. Defensively, they struggled, so if Saint John can hold off Erie's offence, there's a chance.

Oldbarn Newhay

Mar 31, 2016
Everything that could have went wrong in the 1st period for St. John in game 1 went wrong. Bad first goal, deflection on goal 2, defenseman whiffs on a check on goal 3 and another trips over blue line on goal 4.

Highly unlikely they play that poorly again.

Anyone else getting phone calls from Family, Friends, co-workers and neighbours asking for extra tickets? Could not give them away in January/February. Now I'm more popular than the 2nd amendment at an NRA meeting.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Tonight's game according to the "official" newsletter has Erie playing Seattle - Yikes! Maybe somebody might want to proof read these releases before they get sent out! SNB must be feeling the love on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad