Wilson hit on Brandon Carlo (Part-2) (suspended 7 games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
The fact that DOPS changed it from illegal hit to the head to boarding, plus it would the 1st boarding suspension in NHL history that wasn't from behind... I find it unlikely Wilson gets suspended for more than 1 game. Because this suspension would be setting a big precedent for hitting in general.
Hope tou are wrong.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Hope tou are wrong.

I guarantee the suspension reasoning by DOPS will be that it was lined up as a clean hit, but Wilson had intent to make head contact with the follow through. I can't see any other reason Wilson would get suspended for that hit under Boarding.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
So, he went crazy without reason? It doesnt have to be something right prior to hit. It can be a sum of everything in 2 games.
Hope for Wilson’s sake you’re not his representation at the Zoom call.:laugh:

“Well, Tom was very angry about the other night. A young rookie had the audacity to challenge Sir Alex Ovechkin to a fight. Plus he was very very mean to him later in the game. He cross checked him! Twice!!! So my client did the only thing he could. He ran a completely unrelated guy who was playing the puck against the boards and was already engaged with Tommy’s teammate. In the process he scrambled the guys brains against the glass. Yes. But may I remind you again, a rookie was very disrespectful to OVI. Also, OVI — we do all love him so and he deserves respect on the ice — is chasing Gretzky’s record. Let’s not forget that. So my client was almost honor bound to run around the ice like an unhinged mental facility patient. I think we can all agree on that, no?”:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Dessloch and lopey

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Not about to wade through the swamp that is pages of what I can assume is 90% garbage but as a massive Caps fan here's my take:

10 games minimum for Wilson on a very dumb play that all started with a complete lack of leadership from the guys wearing letters on their sweaters and any sort of accountability asked from the coaches. I was massively disappointed in Ovechkin's response the game prior and that said a lot, it also started the trickle effect. Wilson was already admonished earlier in the year for fighting Frederic by Laviolette and now was seemingly being admonished for not answering for the teams superstar when he's more than capable of handling himself physically and should be smart enough as a veteran to do. Obviously he isn't going to fight Frederic but Ovi used to relish in guys going at him physically and make them pay on the score board. Instead he nut shotted a guy and added fuel to the fire while almost costing his team a game they dominated in the process. The entire team looked like they were focused on what happened 48 hours ago, they looked rattled then lost control and then got their butts kicked. Ovechkin hasn't been good at all this year and has honestly cost his team games, now he's going to indirectly cost the Capitals arguably their best player this year for a long stretch. I don't care what anyone says, Tom Wilson is a really good hockey player and does everything for that team, they're in trouble.

This is a massive blow to a team who is quickly falling apart. The core looks old and the team looks slow, defensively they're inconsistent at best, likewise in net and the team is no longer an offensive powerhouse. This is supposed to be a veteran team but they show none of the characteristics of being one and that starts with the leadership, or lack thereof.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
4) I think anyone just posting about how Wilson goes out and just tries to injure players are being way too aggressive on that stance (whether it be due to his past or whatever personal hate they have for him). He’s gone 160 games (or whatever the number was) without a suspension, and if he “only went around to hurt players” then he would clearly be out of the league, since if he actually wanted to injure players, he easily could every single game lol.

Saying that a guy who managed to go TWO WHOLE SEASONS without a suspension after having 5 prior suspensions clearly isn't trying to hurt people is quite the logic. "Look at how many years Ted Bundy did not kill anyone! Clearly he isn't trying to murder people."

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The puck was just dumped in. He won his engagement fairly clean with Vrana, so it's not one of those scenarios where one guy is pushing him into the trolley tracks. He has body position, the puck is on his side and he's beginning to try to play it.

In that moment, something should be screaming at you that there's at least one more Capital coming with speed. F2 isn't on the scene yet, he has dump in speed, and you just won the puck almost too easily from the guy you would have tied up on the wall. Get your head up, and get ready to eat that puck and trap it against the wall again, because unless you come away from Vrana with the puck glued to your stick and an outlet pass in mind you just don't have the time to do everything you're trying to get done.

the Capitals, fairly, didn't give him enough time to play the puck and that's completely allowed. He made the wrong decision. If he were a quarterback, he tried to make a completion instead of throwing the ball away.
We see this play way differently, he hasn't won anything from Vrana yet, its not like Vrana has turned off, he's still pressuring him.

We just aren't going to agree here IMO, since we both having different understandings of what is happening during this play.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Not about to wade through the swamp that is pages of what I can assume is 90% garbage but as a massive Caps fan here's my take:

10 games minimum for Wilson on a very dumb play that all started with a complete lack of leadership from the guys wearing letters on their sweaters and any sort of accountability asked from the coaches. I was massively disappointed in Ovechkin's response the game prior and that said a lot, it also started the trickle effect. Wilson was already admonished earlier in the year for fighting Frederic by Laviolette and now was seemingly being admonished for not answering for the teams superstar when he's more than capable of handling himself physically and should be smart enough as a veteran to do. Obviously he isn't going to fight Frederic but Ovi used to relish in guys going at him physically and make them pay on the score board. Instead he nut shotted a guy and added fuel to the fire while almost costing his team the game in the process. The entire looked like they were rattled then lost control and then got their butts kicked. Ovechkin hasn't been good at all this year and has honestly cost his team games, now he's going to indirectly cost the Capitals arguably their best player this year for a long stretch.

This is a massive blow to a team who is quickly falling apart. The core looks old and the team looks slow, defensively they're inconsistent at best, likewise in net and the team is no longer an offensive powerhouse. This is supposed to be a veteran team but they show none of the characteristics of being one and that starts with the leadership, or lack thereof.
I'm not here to only discuss with people who agree with me, but I thought this was a refreshing take from a Caps fan and something I didn't really think of when Ovi speared Frederic.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Saying that a guy who managed to go TWO WHOLE SEASONS without a suspension after having 5 prior suspensions clearly isn't trying to hurt people is quite the logic. "Look at how many years Ted Bundy did not kill anyone! Clearly he isn't trying to murder people."
I understand what you mean, and am not at all bragging about how it's impressive that he went 2 seasons without a suspension. More-so that it's clear he has changed his game overall in the least 2 years, and hasn't been a predatory player over that span. Which is completely fair since I was saying that as a response to the waves of people going "he only plays to hurt people, what a scum, give him a lifetime suspension".

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I guarantee the suspension reasoning by DOPS will be that it was lined up as a clean hit, but Wilson had intent to make head contact with the follow through. I can't see any other reason Wilson would get suspended for that hit under Boarding.
Still ...hope you are wrong. NhL oftenly miss their target...they want to protect players but at the same time they don’t.
Laviolette is doing his job, but that hit was dirty, dangerous and injured a player! Sit the guy, for some time....long time!

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
The puck was just dumped in. He won his engagement fairly clean with Vrana, so it's not one of those scenarios where one guy is pushing him into the trolley tracks. He has body position, the puck is on his side and he's beginning to try to play it.

In that moment, something should be screaming at you that there's at least one more Capital coming with speed. F2 isn't on the scene yet, he has dump in speed, and you just won the puck almost too easily from the guy you would have tied up on the wall. Get your head up, and get ready to eat that puck and trap it against the wall again, because unless you come away from Vrana with the puck glued to your stick and an outlet pass in mind you just don't have the time to do everything you're trying to get done.

the Capitals, fairly, didn't give him enough time to play the puck and that's completely allowed. He made the wrong decision. If he were a quarterback, he tried to make a completion instead of throwing the ball away.

My goodness. Another Caps fan saying it is Carlo's fault with no responsibility on Wilson. Embarrassing.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
We see this play way differently, he hasn't won anything from Vrana yet, its not like Vrana has turned off, he's still pressuring him.

We just aren't going to agree here IMO, since we both having different understandings of what is happening during this play.
He's still pressuring him but he's not impeding Carlo's ability to defend himself. I guess that's my limit for what I would call an "engaged" player. Like, if Vrana were actively pushing him into Wilson's path or had his arms tangled in a way that left Carlo unable to defend himself, I'd agree completely, but right there if Carlo sees Wilson coming he can still absorb the hit. If Wilson isn't there, Carlo is about a second from wheeling out of the corner with the puck on his stick so it's not really a 50/50 battle. He hasn't technically "won" it yet but all the pieces are there.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I understand what you mean, and am not at all bragging about how it's impressive that he went 2 seasons without a suspension. More-so that it's clear he has changed his game overall in the least 2 years, and hasn't been a predatory player over that span. Which is completely fair since I was saying that as a response to the waves of people going "he only plays to hurt people, what a scum, give him a lifetime suspension".

Eh, I don't agree that he's not a predatory player. Just 2 weeks ago he hit Jankowski wwwwaaaaaayyyyy late (knocking him out for several games, which was actually a favor to the Pens). He hasn't had anything as blatant as what he'd done leading up to the Sundqvist hit and suspension, but he's up there with Raffi Torreses and Matt Cookes and Brad Marchands of the world - he just can't help himself. It's actually a shame (for the Caps, anyway) as he's turned into a pretty good power forward and his absences hurt the team quite a bit.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
My goodness. Another Caps fan saying it is Carlo's fault with no responsibility on Wilson. Embarrassing.

Not only that, but he is saying Carlo should’ve trapped the puck against the boards. So he’s saying Carlo should’ve turned his back to Wilson against the boards. The same player that ran through his head from the side and has a history.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Not only that, but he is saying Carlo should’ve trapped the puck against the boards. So he’s saying Carlo should’ve turned his back to Wilson against the boards. The same player that ran through his head from the side and has a history.
Where did I say he should turn his back? I said he should look up instead of down, give up on making a play for the puck or trap it (I've said both at various points so pick one. Give up if you can't trap it safely), and absorb or avoid the check even if that means allowing Wilson between himself and the puck.

If anything, his back started to Wilson so doing nothing would have left him ineligible to be checked, that's true. I've maintained from the beginning that this happened because Carlo tried to make a play without being aware of his surroundings, which left him eligible to be checked legally, so in a way you're right but I'm not suggesting that he spin away from Wilson like that would help.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
Where did I say he should turn his back? I said he should look up instead of down, give up on making a play for the puck or trap it (I've said both at various points so pick one. Give up if you can't trap it safely), and absorb or avoid the check even if that means allowing Wilson between himself and the puck.

If anything, his back started to Wilson so doing nothing would have left him ineligible to be checked, that's true. I've maintained from the beginning that this happened because Carlo tried to make a play without being aware of his surroundings, which left him eligible to be checked legally, so in a way you're right but I'm not suggesting that he spin away from Wilson like that would help.

This is all irrelevant because Wilson made an illegal hit. That’s the issue. If he made a legal hit, he probably still wrecks Carlo, but he also gets to play the next 25 games.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Get Wilson out of the game.
NHL would be hypocritical to do that. They are interviewing Messier to talk about Walter Gretzky, treating him as all time great player and leader and Messier injured many NHL players through viscous hits. If NHL was serious about player safety they would remove players like Messier from the HHOF and not parade them as role models.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
This is all irrelevant because Wilson made an illegal hit. That’s the issue. If he made a legal hit, he probably still wrecks Carlo, but he also gets to play the next 25 games.
What are we calling the illegal part? Feet planted, arms tucked, his gloves are up in his own chest, he delivers his contact straight through the center of his opponent (at least at first) which you can see because Carlo's arm is directly impacted, followed by his shoulder and chest, and then Wilson rolls through the contact on the follow through and gets the gloves to the head.

Somewhere in all that, mind you, he also takes Carlo's butt end to his own face so asserting that he's 100% in control of all of those actions is questionable.

Listen, I don't like seeing anyone's head thunk off the glass either, but it's something that happens sometimes and the conversation that follows regarding minimizing it has to pay attention to both skaters. This isn't a Capitals incident either, I was just saying this in the Mackinnon thread that for as long as players reach in the neutral zone and try to push the envelope of what they can get away with without being hit, these injuries will happen because it's a contact sport.

Reactions: BigWilly43

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
What are we calling the illegal part? Feet planted, arms tucked, his gloves are up in his own chest, he delivers his contact straight through the center of his opponent (at least at first) which you can see because Carlo's arm is directly impacted, followed by his shoulder and chest, and then Wilson rolls through the contact on the follow through and gets the gloves to the head.

Somewhere in all that, mind you, he also takes Carlo's butt end to his own face so asserting that he's 100% in control of all of those actions is questionable.

The illegal part is the gloves into the head.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
This isn't one of those plays where the guy getting hit turns at the last possible second and puts himself in a bad position, so let's stop victim shaming Carlo. It was a reckless hit, and exactly the type of hit the NHL wants to get rid of. There was no reason for him to do that. I said it earlier, but the NHL is a better league without Tom Wilson in it. It's sad too, because he's actually a good player when he uses his brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad