Wilson hit on Brandon Carlo (Part-2) (suspended 7 games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Predatory and high. Not your classic picking the head clean from the blind side type of hit, but no excuse for Wilson going as high as he did. By itself, I don't think this one is quite as bad as some are making it out to be, but you can't give this player the benefit of the doubt. When you're going after someone in such a vulnerable position, at least attempt to go through the body.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The illegal part is the gloves into the head.
I won't die on this hill because what's the point but that's after/in the process of getting a butt end to the face, delivering an otherwise hard but so-far legal check. Not an intentional one, mind you, but you can see Wilson eat it and I'm pretty sure the bottom of the stick is up against the boards.

Can you tell me that there's no reasonable doubt this might have taken him out of full control of the delivery of this hit, through the fault of nobody in particular?

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Im not trying to find an excuse for Wilson, he's guilty for losing control. It's just, don't make Bruins innocents victimes here. Guy's played 160 games without suspensions and suddenly lost control. I doubt Bruins didn't want that at all.
Wilson tried lining up Trent Frederic and didn’t get him. He looked foolish and got upset. His pride was hurt. So he went after Carlo.

Your profile says you’re from Montreal, so I expect zero sympathy from you, and truthfully, I don’t want any.

Personally, I don’t give a rat’s jolly ass if the league suspends him or not. What has to happen is the Bruins need to teach him and the Capitals a lesson, or this will just keep happening. Two fights and a 5-1 win after the Carlo hit aren’t enough. Not even close.

Reactions: lopey and Mantis

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I really don't have a huge issue with the Ovechkin--Frederic thing. Rookie bottom liner agitates veteran superstar and veteran superstar teaches him a lesson. Yeah Ovie deserved a penalty though but it really didn't end Frederic's night so I don't really see a reason to take it further than that.

That said Wilson is a f***ing menace and has been a menace since he came into league. And it's unfortunate that he keeps on making these bullshit hits because he's actually turned himself into a pretty good hockey player. In the last month or so though he came dangerously close to concussing Ryan Strome with a blindside hit that left Strome momentarily stunned and rubbing his jaw afterwards---a couple games later he nails Mark Jankowski in a very vulnerable position with a very late hit and last night drives Carlo's head into the glass with another disgusting hit and it's enough. He needs to be sat down for a while before he ends someone's career.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Carlo is not a rough player. In fact, many. Bruins fans think he’d be a much much better play if he played with some snarl. So let’s take Backstrom (and no I’m not comparing the two players in terms of talent — only temperament).

If Frederic (to pick a player involved in this drama — he’s not Wilson in terms of talent or, thankfully, temperament) ran Backstrom’s head into the glass last night and put him in the hospital, would the Caps fans defending Wilson take the same view?

Be honest Caps fans. What say you? And again, be honest.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Where did I say he should turn his back? I said he should look up instead of down, give up on making a play for the puck or trap it (I've said both at various points so pick one. Give up if you can't trap it safely), and absorb or avoid the check even if that means allowing Wilson between himself and the puck.

If anything, his back started to Wilson so doing nothing would have left him ineligible to be checked, that's true. I've maintained from the beginning that this happened because Carlo tried to make a play without being aware of his surroundings, which left him eligible to be checked legally, so in a way you're right but I'm not suggesting that he spin away from Wilson like that would help.

So then what do you mean by saying trap the puck while he is along the boards.
But yea Carlo was eligible to be hit legally. Problem is, that’s not what happened and that is why he has a meeting with DoPS. See that’s the problem with your stance, it’s just wrong.

BigWilly43

May 3, 2018
Maryland
The initial point of contact may have been the shoulder but he follows through into the head, which makes it wreckless and predatory. Get Wilson out of the game.
So is Wilson supposed to hit a guy then somehow come to a complete stop? Yeah try being 6'4" 225lbs and just coming to a complete stop on skates. Its effing hockey pal. Take the hit and keep going. Sadly Carlo took the hit and his head wiplashed into the boards.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Something in Wilsons head just doesn't tick right. I swear this dude is a psychopath or something and just snaps.

Yeah it doesn't look like it's on purpose... but come on people it's Wilson.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
So is Wilson supposed to hit a guy then somehow come to a complete stop? Yeah try being 6'4" 225lbs and just coming to a complete stop on skates. Its effing hockey pal. Take the hit and keep going. Sadly Carlo took the hit and his head wiplashed into the boards.
Sadly, it’s the board fault and Carlo should have seen the unstoppable 225 truck coming....
Remember folks, hitting is to separate a player from the puck! Not getting their head crush by an irresponsible player!

Reactions: Luckylarry

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
So Frederic getting hit in the nuts made him lose his mind and try to take Carlos head off?

How come he was the only one on the ice that “went crazy” and hit someone in the head?

Bruins fans saying Wilson just went crazy without reason are hilarious. The Bruins did an awesome job making Caps players forget about gameplan and try to revenge.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

BigWilly43

May 3, 2018
Maryland
What are we calling the illegal part? Feet planted, arms tucked, his gloves are up in his own chest, he delivers his contact straight through the center of his opponent (at least at first) which you can see because Carlo's arm is directly impacted, followed by his shoulder and chest, and then Wilson rolls through the contact on the follow through and gets the gloves to the head.

Somewhere in all that, mind you, he also takes Carlo's butt end to his own face so asserting that he's 100% in control of all of those actions is questionable.

Listen, I don't like seeing anyone's head thunk off the glass either, but it's something that happens sometimes and the conversation that follows regarding minimizing it has to pay attention to both skaters. This isn't a Capitals incident either, I was just saying this in the Mackinnon thread that for as long as players reach in the neutral zone and try to push the envelope of what they can get away with without being hit, these injuries will happen because it's a contact sport.
This. Carlo got hit in the shoulder and twisted to the left and smacked his head. If he twisted to the right maybe this wouldn't have happened. If it were liteally ANY OTHER player but Wilson, this would not even be a conversation. It was an unlucky hit that unfortunately got someone injured.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
This. Carlo got hit in the shoulder and twisted to the left and smacked his head. If he twisted to the right maybe this wouldn't have happened. If it were liteally ANY OTHER player but Wilson, this would not even be a conversation. It was an unlucky hit that unfortunately got someone injured.
Lol. Keep saying it to yourself, it might become true....

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
The puck was just dumped in. He won his engagement fairly clean with Vrana, so it's not one of those scenarios where one guy is pushing him into the trolley tracks. He has body position, the puck is on his side and he's beginning to try to play it.

In that moment, something should be screaming at you that there's at least one more Capital coming with speed. F2 isn't on the scene yet, he has dump in speed, and you just won the puck almost too easily from the guy you would have tied up on the wall. Get your head up, and get ready to eat that puck and trap it against the wall again, because unless you come away from Vrana with the puck glued to your stick and an outlet pass in mind you just don't have the time to do everything you're trying to get done.

the Capitals, fairly, didn't give him enough time to play the puck and that's completely allowed. He made the wrong decision. If he were a quarterback, he tried to make a completion instead of throwing the ball away.
It is a head shot, pure and simple. 20 games minimum.

BigWilly43

May 3, 2018
Maryland
Wilson tried lining up Trent Frederic and didn’t get him. He looked foolish and got upset. His pride was hurt. So he went after Carlo.

Your profile says you’re from Montreal, so I expect zero sympathy from you, and truthfully, I don’t want any.

Personally, I don’t give a rat’s jolly ass if the league suspends him or not. What has to happen is the Bruins need to teach him and the Capitals a lesson, or this will just keep happening. Two fights and a 5-1 win after the Carlo hit aren’t enough. Not even close.
I love how mad you are. Have fun missing the playoffs this year.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
This isn't one of those plays where the guy getting hit turns at the last possible second and puts himself in a bad position, so let's stop victim shaming Carlo. It was a reckless hit, and exactly the type of hit the NHL wants to get rid of. There was no reason for him to do that. I said it earlier, but the NHL is a better league without Tom Wilson in it. It's sad too, because he's actually a good player when he uses his brain.
It was exactly one of those hits. Carlo drops his head and eyes to see the puck in his feet a fraction of a second before Wilson arrives.. It was also a Brutal heavy hit ,so its actually both.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Wilson tried lining up Trent Frederic and didn’t get him. He looked foolish and got upset. His pride was hurt. So he went after Carlo

I don't think there was matchup Wilson and TF line. I think Caps coach inserted him on purpose after things happened on ice. Don't forget, we don't see everything that happens on ice.

Capitals fan can't live in Montreal?

BigWilly43

May 3, 2018
Maryland
Its such a mystery how that happened too. The “wiplash” part.
You need a lesson in physics. Wilson hit Carlo hard in the shoulder. His body moved and then his head (an 8-9lb object sitting on small segment of spine and muscle) whipped into the boards from the shoulder impact.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Bruins fans saying Wilson just went crazy without reason are hilarious. The Bruins did an awesome job making Caps players forget about gameplan and try to revenge. To summarize what happens:

[MOD]

Holy! Did you actually read this before posting?
Wilson lost control when he tried, but failed, to run over that Bruin who was bothering OV last game. Pretty much the guy put Wilson, who initiated the contact, on his rear. After that embarrassment, Wilson snapped, and targeted the first defenceless Bruin he could catch with a high hit. The real question should be what about Wilson cause him to “rage” this way?
It’s at least five games, but likely many more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad