Speculation: Nikolaj Ehlers

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I look at guys like Bjorkstrand, Toffoli, and Zuccarello who are similar performers they were all bringing back that 2nd + 3rd/4th with maybe a prospect here and there return.

I imagine something like 2 2nds gets it done pretty easy. Might depend on what Winnipeg is hoping to get in terms of roster players too.

Actually, a good comp might be Buchnevich from 2021. Similar numbers. He went for Blais+2nd. Buch was a but younger though. So a younger roster player + 2nd would be about right. I suggest Ponomarov+2nd from the Penguins

Last edited:

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Does something around Pulock + Nelson and Pionk + Ehlers work for Islanders fans? Winnipeg would be adding assets. Pulock has 6 years on his contract, and the other 3 players have only 1 year left. This shakes up the Islanders, which is maybe what they need. Their core isn't getting very far. Obviously though NYI are not going to just give Pulock away. He's a good player. The assets coming in the deal would have to make it worth it.

FULL DISCLAIMER - I'm neither a Jets fan or Islanders fan, just a neutral observer.
Nelson has similar if not slightly more value than Ehlers and Pulock has more value than Pionk. Personally I dont wan to see Nelson play anywhere else except the Island. However I could get behind Pionk + Ehlers for Pulock + ???

Reactions: RRenegade

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Hahaha!!!!! Spinorama hockey, really????They’re so legit.

Even Dreger was just throwing wild speculation out at that point. See someone believes everything they read online.
It's a link to Pierre LeBrun in the Athletic.

I think it's pretty well accepted the Jets were shopping Ehlers back in the 2019 offseason.

Whether it was a good idea or not is much more up for debate.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
"I fully expect Ehlers to be shopped — and likely moved — between now and the draft.

Winnipeg has gotten a ton of value out of Ehlers’ six seasons at $6 million from 2018-19 to now. He’s third in goals and fourth in points over the duration of his contract, leading all forwards in plus-minus in that six-year span. His underlying numbers are spectacular, suggesting Winnipeg has gotten a ton of benefit from the good things he does at five-on-five, even when accounting for the chaos, but his playoff production has not matched his regular season efficacy. I wonder if the organization is burned by that."

As a Penguins fan, I would be very intrested in him...what do the Jets want/need?
What would you want from Habs?

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Sounds like Dillion is on his way out.
1 yr of Chychrun @ $4.6 for 1 year of Ehlers.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
6 million and disappears in playoffs he doesn't hold that kind of value to me.
That’s fine. Then the jets will just pass on your offer I think. After all, it doesn’t really matter what value he holds to a fan. I think because of his analytics the jets will be offered more. Also, the whole disappearing in playoffs is predated on making the playoffs which should be a goal for mtl.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That’s fine. Then the jets will just pass on your offer I think. After all, it doesn’t really matter what value he holds to a fan. I think because of his analytics the jets will be offered more. Also, the whole disappearing in playoffs is predated on making the playoffs which should be a goal for mtl.
Habs only in year 3 of rebuild. Make playoffs next year is very ambitious.

Reactions: TS Quint

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Calgary could be willing to offer something around the Vancouver 1st+ Mangiapane or maybe a Coleman+ style offer. Winnipeg gets the option of a couple playoff style players with differing additions based on who they choose, and Calgary gets an offensive driver who they can give plenty of opportunity to. Calgary’s forward corps begin to look more filled out after with around $18M in cap space to spare:

Ehlers-Kadri-Kuzmenko
Huberdeau-Zary-Sharangovich
Pelletier-Backlund-Mangiapane/Coleman

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Habs only in year 3 of rebuild. Make playoffs next year is very ambitious.
I can’t follow your rebuild. I thought you were rebuilding since before 2020, got hot at the right time during Covid went to the finals, but, thought was still a rebuilding team, who had all their young stars and their hot goalie price clicking.

But mtl has all the pieces to compete if Dach works out. 2 great centres, 2 great wingers and and lots of great d. With mailloux, reinbacher, lane, ghule.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Again Ehlers doesn’t fit your rebuild. No interest in Harris.
He would make good flip at deadline if Habs retain half. Similar to Monahan.

I can’t follow your rebuild. I thought you were rebuilding since before 2020, got hot at the right time during Covid went to the finals, but, thought was still a rebuilding team, who had all their young stars and their hot goalie price clicking.
No we were in finals three year ago. Lost franchise goaltender and stud defense man to career ending injuries at same time. Forced us into rebuild.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Calgary could be willing to offer something around the Vancouver 1st+ Mangiapane or maybe a Coleman+ style offer. Winnipeg gets the option of a couple playoff style players with differing additions based on who they choose, and Calgary gets an offensive driver who they can give plenty of opportunity to. Calgary’s forward corps begin to look more filled out after with around $18M in cap space to spare:

Ehlers-Kadri-Kuzmenko
Huberdeau-Zary-Sharangovich
Pelletier-Backlund-Mangiapane/Coleman
The Jets would be adding if it's Coleman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad