Speculation: Willy Nilly XX

Which contract would you sign if you were William Nylander

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Yep, this is letting the team know how real their depth is.

Not looking great outside of the top 6 forwards.

Agreed

Critical step especially as we get close to the TDL and need to determine what our playoff needs are.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
It was a question, I read some posts saying they met yesterday and today. Maybe another poster can shed some light for us?

Edit: thanks @Cor !

I'm getting my hopes up!!

Haven't listened to the interview on TSN but title says "Nylander was on the ice for over 2 hours this morning"

He's really trying to get into game shape.

Reactions: Leafs1993

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
A sign and trade is that not the player first signing a deal and then gets traded? I might just be confused over the saying. Perhaps it has always been a trade of rights first and then a signing?
I don't think another gm is going to let dubas negotiate a deal on his behalf based on "good faith" with a deal in place.

Way to many ways that could go wrong and it sounds like something that could or should be illegal.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's certainly encouraging that there is in person meetings between Dubas and Gross back-to-back days.

That said, it doesn't necessarily mean something is close, simply that at least one side has felt the need for these meetings, and whether that is positive or negative remains to be seen

Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Trying to look at the positives, guys are getting opportunities they might not otherwise might not and management gets to see them.

This is true. Might as well look at some of the positives of the situation. Although limited. Seeing Kap step up is pretty big. He is showing (although limited data time) that he can play with Mathews. I’d love to see a kap-Mathews-Willy line. That has speed and skill and use kap as a more talented version of Hyman.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's certainly encouraging that there is in person meetings between Dubas and Gross back-to-back days.

That said, it doesn't necessarily mean something is close, simply that at least one side has felt the need for these meetings, and whether that is positive or negative remains to be seen
It doesn't mean it's close but back to back days, face to face, they're obviously getting to some real back and forth. Can't someone link to confirm, I don't see the twitter chatter?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Tunnel vision is not thinking of the future.
We aren't going to survive with one 5 million dollar D man.
We need to ensure we have the cap to address the backend.
Either through trades (like Tampa) or UFA when available. Without flexibility, you've doomed yourself to low dollar contracts whether the players can perform us to standards or not.
Next year 2 of our currently used top 4 D are UFA.
I don't know about you but I'm not confident with the current setup as is.
geezus H man chill out

we are 9 games into a 10 year run as true cup contenders.

ALL our D (the ones that matter) are 26 and under. MR,NZ.wizard of OZ

dermott
cyborg
rosen
holl
little grin
sandin
ras
Durz

lots of great young options

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
Can you fill me in on that? I missed the memo
the poli board has been removed and won't be brought back because it was too time-consuming for the site administrators and moderators to maintain, and the mods didn't sign up to deal with non-hockey related issues because that's not what this site is about (which is kinda funny because the poli board was unmoderated and some of its most avid posters were mods). also, it "has poisoned relationships" and blah and political talk will only be allowed when related to hockey.

but they've given us the option to use the contact us link to 'complain' or direct message the admins on this board, if we feel strongly about this, and i'm thinking of doing this because the poli board was my favorite place to be and i'd rather talk politics than "will laine score 50 goals" or another "player y vs. player z" poll.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This is true. Might as well look at some of the positives of the situation. Although limited. Seeing Kap step up is pretty big. He is showing (although limited data time) that he can play with Mathews. I’d love to see a kap-Mathews-Willy line. That has speed and skill and use kap as a more talented version of Hyman.

Helps us determine the potential of players, so we know their true value both internally and externally. The worse situation is trading away guy who got very limited views here just to see him excel with another team.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
the poli board has been removed and won't be brought back because it was too time-consuming for the site administrators and moderators to maintain, and the mods didn't sign up to deal with non-hockey related issues because that's not what this site is about (which is kinda funny because the poli board was unmoderated and some of its most avid posters were mods). also, it "has poisoned relationships" and blah and political talk will only be allowed when related to hockey.

but they've given us the option to use the contact us link to 'complain' or direct message the admins on this board, if we feel strongly about this, and i'm thinking of doing this because the poli board was my favorite place to be and i'd rather talk politics than "will laine score 50 goals" or another "player y vs. player z" poll.
Weird... especially seeing it was unmoderated. Doesn't make sense to me but I'm not to passionate about it. If you want politics, there's much better places for discussion

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
They are working on a bridge contract is what is being said. They have given up on a long term deal it seems.

Now the gap should be smaller as the amount of years are smaller. 2 years at 4.5 or 3 years at 5.0 seem fair. I would think a two year deal is what Nylander camp would want.

A 3 year deal allowes more structure and flexibility in a contract. Say 4m then year two 5m and 3rd year 6m means the qualifying offer after his 3rd year would be at 6m and he would be eligible for arbitration as well. Or even 3.5 , 4.5 and 7m gets the average to 5m but increases the amount he would earn the year after this deal to a minimum of 7m. Bonus money in the first year of 3m or 2.5m so he only loses a small amount of money this year.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I miss when Matthews and Nylander would play catch with the puck up the ice the way we see Marner and Tavares do so... COME BACK WILLY
If theres any consolation, its forcing Matthews to try and create a lot more on his own right now whereas last year I think he relied too much on Nylander in the neutral zone to get the puck back too him. Could pay off big time once they're back together.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It certainly is pretty relevant that a couple days after Kyle Dubas gets back from a sit down meeting with William Nylander, he is now meeting in person with Gross back-to-back days.

IIRC, typically Pridham and/or Gilman would have handled the initial talks, and if something is close, that's when Dubas would get involved. As @Nithoniniel said most talks are done over the phone/emails, and then when things are close that is when you tend to get together and iron out the last details and do up the paperwork.

Either that, or things are still so far apart Dubas has now just taken over the entire efforts himself and is making a last ditch effort to convince the Nylander camp that if he signs the deal in the 6M range he isn't being traded and that is what is needed for Nylander to stay a Leaf.

I'm nervous :laugh:

i have to agree, IF Dubas is going to put him "on the market" it best be told by him face to face

and not some rumour before "the talk"

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
They are working on a bridge contract is what is being said. They have given up on a long term deal it seems.

Now the gap should be smaller as the amount of years are smaller. 2 years at 4.5 or 3 years at 5.0 seem fair. I would think a two year deal is what Nylander camp would want.

A 3 year deal allowes more structure and flexibility in a contract. Say 4m then year two 5m and 3rd year 6m means the qualifying offer after his 3rd year would be at 6m and he would be eligible for arbitration as well. Or even 3.5 , 4.5 and 7m gets the average to 5m but increases the amount he would earn the year after this deal to a minimum of 7m. Bonus money in the first year of 3m or 2.5m so he only loses a small amount of money this year.
Which reporter is this coming from? Hopefully not Eklund :laugh:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Trades don't happen that quickly.
Not saying it will happen today but leaning toward trading Willie.
Dubas already had a face to face with Willie. To me it seems they are still far apart from what both sides want. What’s the point of meeting with the agent? Both sides are firm in where they stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad