Willy #19 - Who gets the larger piece of the Toblerone bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Any confirmation that the meeting even took place yesterday? It's currently 7:05am, I feel like the meeting is going to be held today.

Nylander was in Zurich on Tuesday(per the random tweet who overheard that message at the airport). We don't know when Dubas got there but presumably if Nylander got there Tuesday night they would have met Wednesday. It's an issue that could take more than 1 day to resolve however, I wouldn't give up on hope because we didn't hear anything positive from the meeting today. Hopefully something tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if Dubas is at the game tomorrow night.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Nylander was in Zurich on Tuesday(per the random tweet who overheard that message at the airport). We don't know when Dubas got there but presumably if Nylander got there Tuesday night they would have met Wednesday. It's an issue that could take more than 1 day to resolve however, I wouldn't give up on hope because we didn't hear anything positive from the meeting today. Hopefully something tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if Dubas is at the game tomorrow night.

True true. I could see Dubas making a final pitch/offer at the first meeting and giving Nylander's camp 24 hours to think about it and sleep on it. Then a second meeting taking place today where Nylander & co. tell Dubas what they decided.

Hopefully we wake up to some good news!

Reactions: Go4soda

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Could be an interesting few days, just imagine ADDING Willie to a group that already looks soooooooo good

I hope there's no resentment in the locker room though, could actually mess up what we have going so far

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
If the rumors are true and Nylander is worried about getting traded, I think something gets done soon. Realistically, there are no players available of his caliber available anyway. I think the delicate balancing act is convincing Nylander he's too good to trade (true) but not good enough to pay higher (also true). Makes a lot of sense. He's on a dream team, imagine what that will do for his resume in Sweden. He'll be made for life.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
If the rumors are true and Nylander is worried about getting traded, I think something gets done soon. Realistically, there are no players available of his caliber available anyway. I think the delicate balancing act is convincing Nylander he's too good to trade (true) but not good enough to pay higher (also true).

It's not that he isn't good enough so much as signing Nylander to a high cost contract puts Matthews and Marner's status in jeopardy.

It's also not like he is going to be a Top6 Center with us either barring some extremely bad news for Matthews or Tavares.

And he's in competition with Marner for top six RW, so he's not the clear cut best winger either.

I can see him being annoyed Marner could get more than him considering William does have that second option of playing center - but Marner's second season was better than Williams and Marner optically did it without a great player flanking him, and drove his own line.

So there are plenty of reasons for Nylander to come in below Marner - but if Marner gets 7.5/8 and Nylander is getting 6.3... That could end up being a point of contention.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
It's not that he isn't good enough so much as signing Nylander to a high cost contract puts Matthews and Marner's status in jeopardy.

Yeah, that too. :) I think the Leafs planned out the numbers in meticulous detail. Smart because it causes situations like this. If the Leafs want a good deal, they have to be in a cap crunch at all times. Ultimately that's what the players want anyway. They want to win.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Could be an interesting few days, just imagine ADDING Willie to a group that already looks soooooooo good

I hope there's no resentment in the locker room though, could actually mess up what we have going so far
When this went into the season, I went back to look at earlier cases. There doesn't seem to have been resentment in any of them, not that have leaked outside it at least. My impression is that players are more understanding of things like this than media and fans are.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I am really not worried at all about this supposed "cap crunch". There will be cap casualties, but it won't be Marner/Matthews/Nylander on this team. Dubas and co know you keep your best players and surround them with good, cheap ELCs (Kapanen, AJ etc.). Realistically speaking, you sign Nylander to what, 6.25x6? He has no more leverage at this point in time. Term is good and the cap hit is good and right in line with his own peer comparable(s). Matthews likely comes in at the 11-12 range (anything less than 12 would be nice given his likely huge season this year). Marner's comparables put him in the 7.5-8 range but I'd bank at 7.5 (unless he brings in some serious hardware like an Art Ross and or Conn Smythe). That puts you in total...

11+11.5(12)+6.25+7.5 = 35.75 tied in to the "big 4".

Then, you factor in Gardiner coming off the books, Hainsey and Marleau as well, in house replacements in Dermott, Oz and Kapanen, and the situation isn't this "doom and gloom". I would bet money on one or more of Sandin/SDA/Liljegren/Durzi hitting their ceiling or a decent ceiling as well. Cap is likely going to marginally go up over the duration of these contracts, so the percentage it takes up depreciates over each passing season. Guys like Hainsey, Marleau, Gardiner and sooner or later, Andersen end up being casualties in a cap world. That's why you hire great scouts to find in house replacements to keep the stock going.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
When this went into the season, I went back to look at earlier cases. There doesn't seem to have been resentment in any of them, not that have leaked outside it at least. My impression is that players are more understanding of things like this than media and fans are.

Because they know it's business. Meanwhile most of the fans acutally take this personally, which is funny and sad at the same time.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

Players have a bond about these things, they understand that it’s a business more than anyone. Some of them grew up playing with guys who are riding the bus in the minors while they earn huge checks. They know it can all go away so quickly.

I doubt it will cause any friction in the dressing room. The only way it will is if Nylander himself is disgruntled after settling for an amount he feels is too low.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Because they know it's business. Meanwhile most of the fans acutally take this personally, which is funny and sad at the same time.

It’s just passion. I choose to look at it like we have a team people are so passionate about that they take it personally when a player holds out.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
Sabres fans have turned on Ristolainen. Their owner is a doofus, so Risto for Willy (the good) Nylander could fill out need.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Sabres fans have turned on Ristolainen. Their owner is a doofus, so Risto for Willy (the good) Nylander could fill out need.

Sure. Kadri and Risto on the same team? The leafs could always use another locker-room feud of Leeman/Iafrate proportions.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
Sure. Kadri and Risto on the same team? The leafs could always use another locker-room feud of Leeman/Iafrate proportions.
The Leafs could use a Kadri type guy on D. You know they must respect each others' game. Risto would be an absolute beast and fan favorite on the Leafs.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
why would we give up an excellent player for someone who isn't even liked by their own fans? Risto isn't good

Saying he is not good would be inaccurate. He has put up 3 consecutive 40+ point seasons. His defensive game is inconsistent, but he’s still young.

Ristolainen is an unfinished player. He hasn’t developed much over the last few years. Is it because he is in a situation that has stunted him, or is he incapable of progressing? I’m honesty not sure. He looked like a potential stud a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad