Willy #19 - Who gets the larger piece of the Toblerone bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
That Marleau contract isn't going away. All of you that were in love and all positive when Lou were around convinced yourself that they'd find a way to get rid of it and he wouldn't play the third year but I got news for you....we're gonna be on the hook for that contract for the 3rd year unless they trade it (while eating part of it) and losing a decent pick or prospect.

The way around the future cap crunch is doing what any other successful team does...ELC's. That means letting Hainsey and Gardiner and eventually Marleau walk and replacing them with ELC's. If the team rebuilt properly and drafted/developed properly, that means guys like Grundstrom and Liljegren should be able to replace these other players without too much of a drop off.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
That Marleau contract isn't going away. All of you that were in love and all positive when Lou were around convinced yourself that they'd find a way to get rid of it and he wouldn't play the third year but I got news for you....we're gonna be on the hook for that contract for the 3rd year unless they trade it (while eating part of it) and losing a decent pick or prospect.

The way around the future cap crunch is doing what any other successful team does...ELC's. That means letting Hainsey and Gardiner and eventually Marleau walk and replacing them with ELC's. If the team rebuilt properly and drafted/developed properly, that means guys like Grundstrom and Liljegren should be able to replace these other players without too much of a drop off.
Yup! We need more Hymans, Browns and Johnsson's when they get too expensive to keep. We are going to have a revolving door of wingers and bottom pairing defencemen

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The issue is that the secondary group of players is not really good enough imo. They took some stupid draft picks in the Matthews draft and Lou also started hemorrhaging picks plus he never got anything for guys like JVR or Bozak when he should have as a rebuilding club. These guys like Sandin and Liljegren are basically almost all gonna have to pan out for it to work unless they keep striking it rich with Euro FA's.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
it made me laugh he held out for an AAV of 1.5million hahahaha

I can't understand why Nylander is still holding out, Ritchie is the greatest self own I've seen contractually for quite some time however

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Or, if it frees up cap space for next year, Marleau could take the high road and just retire - but that's wishful thinking

Not really. Marleau's final season's salary structure is mostly tied up in bonuses. The Leafs trade him (with his consent) to a random cap floor team that pays half his remaining salary, but picks up the full cap hit. Then, as a free agent, he can come back to Toronto on a cheap deal, having already made:

a) $3 million in bonus money - Leafs pay.

b) 50% of his remaning $1.25 million ($0.625 million) - Team X buyout.

c) sign him for let's say $2 million - Leafs re-sign.

He still comes out ahead and the Leafs shave $4.25 million off the cap hit.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I can't understand why Nylander is still holding out, Ritchie is the greatest self own I've seen contractually for quite some time however
haha ye..i did a legit did a double take when i saw that number..maybe he held out because they were offering too much to start, hilarious

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
He can't be traded

Yes he can. Leafs pay him his signing bonus, then trade him to a team (+ an asset) who have cap room, who immediately buy him out. Marleau then signs a deal back with Toronto right away. And he has made more than he would have in his final year.
Third year cap issue solved.

Reactions: Kurtz

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
My take

Bridge deal 2 or 3 yes at 6m. Problem there is we did want to move him for a D man what team will chance him being a greedy SOB after those years. We cant have him and Gardiner. We are we weakest on D..so I dunno.
Lastly if he accepted a deal wouldn't we know by now

During the bridge he has the chance to show he is worth all the money he wants. Two more 60pt seasons wont get him the big deal he is after. If he hits 75+pts he will probably earn a deal closer to what he is hoping for and will be easier to move.

t

DURY THE BRIDGE WILL HAS A COPLR OF YEARS TO SHOW THE KIND OFF= EFFENCE THST WILL GET HIM HIS MOENT

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
The issue is that the secondary group of players is not really good enough imo. They took some stupid draft picks in the Matthews draft and Lou also started hemorrhaging picks plus he never got anything for guys like JVR or Bozak when he should have as a rebuilding club. These guys like Sandin and Liljegren are basically almost all gonna have to pan out for it to work unless they keep striking it rich with Euro FA's.

That's why I don't think you can let guys like Gardiner walk if they are going to be cap casualty. If you're forced to lose him (I'm fine with that) because of a numbers crunch, it's imperative that you trade him to recoup a key asset or two that were bled away the past couple years. You get that either through a 1st round pick, or a ready to play NHL prospect that is ready to play, is on their ELC for several years still, and is a legitimate scoring threat on Kadri's wing, but who likely has top 6 upside moving forward.

IMO, Toronto's system's not bad... I think Gauthier, Grundstrom, Bracco, Engvall, Liljegren, Sandin and likely one of the other defensemen (not sure which) will wind up being viable bottom 6 forwards and and bottom 4 defensemen. Add another 1st and 2nd round pick to that this year of course. If you could one more quality prospect through a 1st round drft pick in the top 20, it would go a long way to stocking the system up for the future.

If your core is...

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
Kapanen
Kadri
Reilly
Dermott

You have to make some smart decisions around those guys. 6 affordable forwards and 4 affordable defensemen after everyone gets paid. I think you can keep and pay those 8 though, you'll just need to move guys like Marleau, Brown and eventually, Zaitsev.

Mar 26, 2010
Marleau seems to be a guy who can be Brooks Orpik'ed pretty easily after this season: traded, bought out and re-signed.

Hainsey? Probably done.
Marleau should be bought out. He looks bad this season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yes he can. Leafs pay him his signing bonus, then trade him to a team (+ an asset) who have cap room, who immediately buy him out. Marleau then signs a deal back with Toronto right away. And he has made more than he would have in his final year.
Third year cap issue solved.

There’s no way the league would allow that

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Dubas and Nylander are holding hands, strolling the old streets of Switzerland, like lovers do. Like lovers do

Kyle: you complete me
Willy: you had me at 6.35x6

Reactions: razkaz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad