Willy #19 - Who gets the larger piece of the Toblerone bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I looked it up: the league actually investigated it but didn’t hand out any punishment

Suppose it could be above board.

The thing that annoys me about the NHL "investigating" these situations is these transactions are always within the league rules. You kind of need to have circumvention of a hard cap so teams can adjust to situations.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Not really. Marleau's final season's salary structure is mostly tied up in bonuses. The Leafs trade him (with his consent) to a random cap floor team that pays half his remaining salary, but picks up the full cap hit. Then, as a free agent, he can come back to Toronto on a cheap deal, having already made:

a) $3 million in bonus money - Leafs pay.

b) 50% of his remaning $1.25 million ($0.625 million) - Team X buyout.

c) sign him for let's say $2 million - Leafs re-sign.

He still comes out ahead and the Leafs shave $4.25 million off the cap hit.

Wouldn't work as he would need to be on that team's roster prior to the trade deadline for them to be able to buy him out after Marleau's bonuses are paid July 1st

Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

As explained in Section 13(c)ii of the Standard Player Contract (SPC) [Exhibit 1 of the CBA], clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of a) settlement of the Club's final arbitration case. b) receipt of the Club's last arbitration award. A buyout can only be performed on a player who was on the clubs reserve list at 3:00pm on the most recent trade deadline, and for the 2018 off-season, must have a cap hit of at least $3,318,024.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Wouldn't work as he would need to be on that team's roster prior to the trade deadline for them to be able to buy him out after Marleau's bonuses are paid July 1st

Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

As explained in Section 13(c)ii of the Standard Player Contract (SPC) [Exhibit 1 of the CBA], clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of a) settlement of the Club's final arbitration case. b) receipt of the Club's last arbitration award. A buyout can only be performed on a player who was on the clubs reserve list at 3:00pm on the most recent trade deadline, and for the 2018 off-season, must have a cap hit of at least $3,318,024.

Your bolded section title specifically says "Buyouts outside of the regular period" meaning the 2nd buyout window that opensa in August if you have an arbitration case(which is explained in your exert). I haven't checked, but there's likely nothing there like that for the regular buyout period(in June) because the Caps literally just did that same scenario with Orpik.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
What happened to the Nylander and Zurich part 57 thread?

That is already filled to the max? No!

This thing is turning into some sort of obsession.

Must be William golden hair.

:baghead:

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Your bolded section title specifically says "Buyouts outside of the regular period" meaning the 2nd buyout window that opensa in August if you have an arbitration case(which is explained in your exert). I haven't checked, but there's likely nothing there like that for the regular buyout period(in June) because the Caps literally just did that same scenario with Orpik.

Yes there is nothing like that for the regular buyout period. But I don't see Marleau waiving his NMC till his bonuses are paid on July 1st if at all. I'm just saying its not going to work where we trade him and then re-sign him for cheap later in the offseason.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
That Marleau contract isn't going away. All of you that were in love and all positive when Lou were around convinced yourself that they'd find a way to get rid of it and he wouldn't play the third year but I got news for you....we're gonna be on the hook for that contract for the 3rd year unless they trade it (while eating part of it) and losing a decent pick or prospect.

The way around the future cap crunch is doing what any other successful team does...ELC's. That means letting Hainsey and Gardiner and eventually Marleau walk and replacing them with ELC's. If the team rebuilt properly and drafted/developed properly, that means guys like Grundstrom and Liljegren should be able to replace these other players without too much of a drop off.

No it's getting Orpik'd....and we'll re-sign him for $1,000,000 x 2 years.

But we'll probably have to pay with Brown + 4th.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Yes there is nothing like that for the regular buyout period. But I don't see Marleau waiving his NMC till his bonuses are paid on July 1st if at all. I'm just saying its not going to work where we trade him and then re-sign him for cheap later in the offseason.

Ah, ok yeah I forgot about the fact he'd need to be bought out during that 2nd period. My bad.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

Why does he care is his bonus is paid? Bunus's are buyout proof.

The only way we trade him is if we tell him beforehand that he'll be bought out & resigned.

Even a league minimum contract will make him more money than his orginail contract.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

The only way we trade him is if we tell him beforehand that he'll be bought out & resigned.

Even a league minimum contract will make him more money than his orginail contract.

He might not but the acquiring team who doesn't care about the cap is likely a budget team who won't want to pay out a 3 million dollar bonus in a buyout. It can still be done, but we'd likely have to pay more. It made more sense when we could pay that bonus, the budget team gets free cap hit to get to the floor without paying much actual money at all.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Why not? It's not cap circumvention. It's already been done. Leaf would have to give up another asset like a draft pick or prospect but it's entirely doable.

Would be genius if they could pull it off, but it would involve Marleau waiving his NMC to accept the trade, and afterwards IIRC would be waivers for the purpose of the buyout, and then the "re-signing". Could see how the NHL might find fault with the situation. Can't recall anything similar occurring successfully. (Orpik didn't have any movement protection clause in his contract)

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg

Yeah you're right actually he wouldn't care but the team acquiring him wouldn't be happy about paying him the 3 million dollar cheque. They might just assume keep him if they're paying him close to 4 million in bonus and buyout money and he plans on still playing next year.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Would be genius if they could pull it off, but it would involve Marleau waiving his NMC to accept the trade, and afterwards IIRC would be waivers for the purpose of the buyout, and then the "re-signing". Could see how the NHL might find fault with the situation. Can't recall anything similar occurring successfully. (Orpik didn't have any movement protection clause in his contract)

Because he has a NMC, the other team can potentially buy him out without going on waivers. Marleau would have the option of going on waivers for buyout purposes, or block the waivers and be bought out immediately.

Reactions: Buds17

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Not really. Marleau's final season's salary structure is mostly tied up in bonuses. The Leafs trade him (with his consent) to a random cap floor team that pays half his remaining salary, but picks up the full cap hit. Then, as a free agent, he can come back to Toronto on a cheap deal, having already made:

a) $3 million in bonus money - Leafs pay.

b) 50% of his remaning $1.25 million ($0.625 million) - Team X buyout.

c) sign him for let's say $2 million - Leafs re-sign.

He still comes out ahead and the Leafs shave $4.25 million off the cap hit.

Terrific post. If Dubas does this, I will never ever criticize his commitment to winning. I totally think he will do this to keep the team together next year.

On the Nylander front, I suspect this will end soon. Dubas didn't show up just to have a coffee and a chit chat. They are close enough to get it done soon.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
Ok so it seems like nothing happened.

I mean, something may have happened. Zurich is many hours ahead and we have no idea what time the meeting actually was. Doubt it's the type of thing that they sign and then announce at 1am in Switzerland. Also this just happened, we have no idea if this was meant to be a multi-day type of thing.

Im pretty positive at this point the result is going to be achieved from this trip whatever it is.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Because he has a NMC, the other team can potentially buy him out without going on waivers. Marleau would have the option of going on waivers for buyout purposes, or block the waivers and be bought out immediately.

Good to know. Thanks for that.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It would be pretty sweet to bend him over and get him signed for under 5 mil. yeah wont happen but a guy can dream.

I worry about the Nylander's financial situation. It keeps me up at night.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
You guys remember that new york jet that flew to Toronto the night before jt signed? Lololol the jet stocking is a new low for you guys.

I was gonna say... I mean come on now lol... we're looking up flight schedules here?? Gotta be kidding me

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Any confirmation that the meeting even took place yesterday? It's currently 7:05am, I feel like the meeting is going to be held today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad