Willy #19 - Who gets the larger piece of the Toblerone bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The Leafs could use a Kadri type guy on D. You know they must respect each others' game. Risto would be an absolute beast and fan favorite on the Leafs.

This is how it works around here, "if said player is not a Leaf player then said player is not really any good" :thumbu:

Reactions: Prospero

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
The Leafs could use a Kadri type guy on D. You know they must respect each others' game. Risto would be an absolute beast and fan favorite on the Leafs.

I suppose. Maybe if they retain a million or so. Although, they've already got one Nylander prima donna. Would they really want a matching set?

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
I suppose. Maybe if they retain a million or so. Although, they've already got one Nylander prima donna. Do they really want a matching set?
Yes.
Their owner is an arrogant doofus who could be easily convinced that Jagr's success with the Rangers was due to Michael Nylander.
He's the type of guy who wants three of everything
His judgement's just off.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Yes.
Their owner is an arrogant doofus who could be easily convinced that Jagr's success with the Rangers was due to Michael Nylander.
He's the type of guy who wants three of everything
His judgement's just off.

If we could do it, I'd be happy with Risto for $4.5 a year.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
When this went into the season, I went back to look at earlier cases. There doesn't seem to have been resentment in any of them, not that have leaked outside it at least. My impression is that players are more understanding of things like this than media and fans are.

In a way, the players are more understanding bc they know they will be going through the same thing. Asking as Willie is not asking for like 10mil a season...

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If you're going to bridge him you may as well do it sooner rather than later, why wait when you can do it now and help the team win?
We are 6-1.
i'd spend the time listening to offers for him from GMs. Dubas might want to trade him if the right deal comes up.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I'm sure after a big, Swiss breakfast, both sides will come to a compromise.

Just thinking about breakfast makes me want to sign a 6 X 6.5 million dollar contract.

Reactions: IBeL34f

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If you're going to bridge him you may as well do it sooner rather than later, why wait when you can do it now and help the team win?

I mean, the obvious answer is Dubas hasnt receieved an acceptable deal yet.

He needs to knock this deal out the park, both for his credibility and for our cap situation

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I mean, the obvious answer is Dubas hasnt receieved an acceptable deal yet.

He needs to knock this deal out the park, both for his credibility and for our cap situation

All eyes are on Dubas for sure. How the Nylander situation plays out will impact the franchise for many years to come in more ways than one so ... fingers crossed.

I'm optimistic. I'm a big believer in Dubas, I think he's super smart and also progressive, the fact that he's flying to Europe to deal with Nylander is super interesting, encouraging and I have faith that he will make smart decisions. If Nylander can be brought back into fold at a fair price, it will be done. If not, then he'll start looking at trading him. Hopefully it doesn't come to that as getting full value for him is a HUGE challenge but if it happens, it happens.

Good luck Kyle!!

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I've said it before but Risto is honestly one of the most overrated players in the league. Not only does he look bad by the eye test, but his underlying analytics are even worse. He generates shots at a worse rates than even the average NHL defensmen, and he allows a lot more. The best quote I've ever seen about him is "Rasmus Ristolainen blocks the shots that other defensemen don't have the balls to allow" Buffalo fans have just hyped him up for so long that people take their word for it that he's good. I'd rather not have a liability on the team for his cap hit just because he has "snarl", and I 100% would never give up Willy in a trade where he's the main return.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I've said it before but Risto is honestly one of the most overrated players in the league. Not only does he look bad by the eye test, but his underlying analytics are even worse. He generates shots at a worse rates than even the average NHL defensmen, and he allows a lot more. The best quote I've ever seen about him is "Rasmus Ristolainen blocks the shots that other defensemen don't have the balls to allow" Buffalo fans have just hyped him up for so long that people take their word for it that he's good. I'd rather not have a liability on the team for his cap hit just because he has "snarl", and I 100% would never give up Willy in a trade where he's the main return.
Is there any way that it is also Risto trying to be a hero #1 D on a team that has been garbage since he was drafted? Not saying he is as good as everyone thinks, but I can't imagine any D playing on Buffalo for years having good underlying stats.

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
We are 6-1.
i'd spend the time listening to offers for him from GMs. Dubas might want to trade him if the right deal comes up.
There is NO right deal - It isn’t every day that a talented 22-year-old is traded, and as is often the case, the team trading away the best player is ultimately the loser in the deal.

Reactions: Pookie

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I am really not worried at all about this supposed "cap crunch". There will be cap casualties, but it won't be Marner/Matthews/Nylander on this team. Dubas and co know you keep your best players and surround them with good, cheap ELCs (Kapanen, AJ etc.). Realistically speaking, you sign Nylander to what, 6.25x6? He has no more leverage at this point in time. Term is good and the cap hit is good and right in line with his own peer comparable(s). Matthews likely comes in at the 11-12 range (anything less than 12 would be nice given his likely huge season this year). Marner's comparables put him in the 7.5-8 range but I'd bank at 7.5 (unless he brings in some serious hardware like an Art Ross and or Conn Smythe). That puts you in total...

11+11.5(12)+6.25+7.5 = 35.75 tied in to the "big 4".

Then, you factor in Gardiner coming off the books, Hainsey and Marleau as well, in house replacements in Dermott, Oz and Kapanen, and the situation isn't this "doom and gloom". I would bet money on one or more of Sandin/SDA/Liljegren/Durzi hitting their ceiling or a decent ceiling as well. Cap is likely going to marginally go up over the duration of these contracts, so the percentage it takes up depreciates over each passing season. Guys like Hainsey, Marleau, Gardiner and sooner or later, Andersen end up being casualties in a cap world. That's why you hire great scouts to find in house replacements to keep the stock going.

I’m guessing you’re 5 or 6 million short on the big 4.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Is there any way that it is also Risto trying to be a hero #1 D on a team that has been garbage since he was drafted? Not saying he is as good as everyone thinks, but I can't imagine any D playing on Buffalo for years having good underlying stats.
It's not even that he plays for Buffalo. All of his relative stats are terrible as well. Even when you take teammates, competition, and zone starts into account he's horrible. Actually his teammates elevate his raw numbers. The team has been garbage since he was drafted, and he's part of the reason why.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
If the Leafs trade him they won't get anything remotely close to what he's worth - Nylander has showcased a tremendous offensive skill set that rivals some of the best players in the league. The real kicker is the fact that Nylander is only 22 and not even close to entering his prime years yet.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
If the Leafs trade him they won't get anything remotely close to what he's worth - Nylander has showcased a tremendous offensive skill set that rivals some of the best players in the league. The real kicker is the fact that Nylander is only 22 and not even close to entering his prime years yet.

I would agree with this only if the negotiations drag into Nov. If the Leafs decide this month to move from him they could get a better return.

The Leafs don't have to be that desperate, but they do have to look to what Chicago had to do in the past. Not every deal was a fleecing.

Let's not get too carried away with his value though. He's not a franchise player. He's a good player and many teams could use his services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad