Value of: William Nylander

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well the cap space used by making that trade can go towards a RD like Bodie, Demelo or Pietrangelo.
Makes really good sense. Basically your idea gets fortunes and (the cap room) Pietrangelo for Nylander. Smart.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Larsson, Broberg and our 1st pick for the 2021 draft( top 10 protected) for Nylander.

Saves Toronto money and fills a need short term and some good futures to boot. I may get some flack from oiler fans, but i think Nylander would fit nicely with Mcdavid and round out our scoring.
I’d prefer Bouchard over Broberg but I’d consider that deal

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
In theory yes, but in reality while everyone loves MM talent, almost nobody can swallow his 10m+. And remember, that is for a W, not a C or a D.
That said, I can see a 3 way w/Sabes [who take MM to make Eichel happy] and Rangers.
We can go there in a new thread another time or one which is pertinent to the content.
This is all about Nyl.

The trouble is willingness to accept the available quality top D.

Leafs have lusted for a Parayko type, who is unavailable.
A Manson package would likely overvalue Manson.

A quality and effective RD is Deangelo.
ADA + Buch 3.25 expiring next season, defrays loss of WN production, and Geo ending elc begins rfa [conceding nothing, set aside debate who is better, no ? he is cheaper than the incumbents].

That package offers need at RD, depth a W, and value at G.
$ wise it will be a bit higher than Nylander alone but that is for 3 players.
Move your surplus G to Canes in a cap dump, that could be another couple of mil shaved off.

So, could we do a win win w/NY consolidating vets and a stud RW to use with Kreider + Zib.
Unfortunately, quoting John Belushi,
But NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....
DeAngelo is not a good dman the leafs need the exact opposite type of player as him. In Arizona he was moved to forward because he was so horrid in his own end. I’d puke if the leafs got him.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
? it’s actually easily done in the the next 2 years. even with the big 4.

If you think Andersen is going to get a long term raise at 32 from 5 million when teams may not even have fans in the stands. Well let’s just say we disagree.

in 3 years when rielly. Sandin Will be up it’s an issue. But we don’t know where the cap will be there. If the fans are allowed back. The bounce back may happen much quicker. We will see.

but bottom line is. Even IF toronto has to make a drastic move they have tons of options.

Matthews/marner will be making like 7 million a year in real cash.

nylander will be making
2.5 in whatever year he is getting traded.

Kappy/kerfoot/Johnson are making 2.5

These contracts will be valuable to teams that can’t pay full bills.

If you think Anderson will stay at 5-5.5m we absolutely disagree unless he has a down year which is same problem with a different bow.

If the Leafs make no moves then someone has to go this year. AJ, Kerfoot maybe as small as Dermott but someone has to go to make cap asap.

If you add D-man in Brodie or Risto someone in that range then 2 of Kap, AJ, and Kerfoot go now and you add a 5m D-man and another 900k guy to the roster.

And as far as Seattle picking a player making money Ron Francis I would bet the house is asking what what pick will you give me to take Kerfoot, etc.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
In theory yes, but in reality while everyone loves MM talent, almost nobody can swallow his 10m+. And remember, that is for a W, not a C or a D.
That said, I can see a 3 way w/Sabes [who take MM to make Eichel happy] and Rangers.
We can go there in a new thread another time or one which is pertinent to the content.
This is all about Nyl.

The trouble is willingness to accept the available quality top D.

Leafs have lusted for a Parayko type, who is unavailable.
A Manson package would likely overvalue Manson.

A quality and effective RD is Deangelo.
ADA + Buch 3.25 expiring next season, defrays loss of WN production, and Geo ending elc begins rfa [conceding nothing, set aside debate who is better, no ? he is cheaper than the incumbents].

That package offers need at RD, depth a W, and value at G.
$ wise it will be a bit higher than Nylander alone but that is for 3 players.
Move your surplus G to Canes in a cap dump, that could be another couple of mil shaved off.

So, could we do a win win w/NY consolidating vets and a stud RW to use with Kreider + Zib.
Unfortunately, quoting John Belushi,
But NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

Not a Leaf fan but that NYR package would be valuable imo.
Don't know if they would need Geo though as they picked up Campbell now but not sure what the plan with Andersen is because he likely gets a raise and a 5-6 year deal.

5 on 5 stats below for Buch vs Nylander from 2018-2020:

nylander-buch.PNG

Nylander gets more PP points but their 5 on 5 goal and point totals are pretty similar.
TOR downgrades a bit with this matchup but to also get a top 4 D in ADA would be the trade-off.
Buch's low AAV + ADA coming in around $5.5 to 6 million on his next deal would force TOR to move AJ for picks/cap space.

5 on 5 stats for ADA vs Muzzin from 2018-2020:

ADA-Muzzin.PNG

Not comparing these two but more so have a feeling these two would form a pretty dynamic duo.

TOR fans will probably want more of a 1 for 1 deal for Nylander but it may not happen, if Nylander was a natural C then it may open up the floodgates a little more.

Reactions: bernmeister

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Wouldn’t be interested in that maybe if the + was Newhook. Newhook, Timmons and a 1st in a vacuum isn’t and overpayment for Nylander imo.
Yeah that won’t happen. I understand wanting more than I proposed but that would definitely be about as extreme as Colorado will offer knowing how easy it will be to pick apart the market due to the 3 year flat cap. Hell, Taylor Hall might be able to be had for 8ish million and wouldn’t cost any assets.
There’s going to be a huge value placed on ELC players and those on under market value deals over the next few years.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If you think Anderson will stay at 5-5.5m we absolutely disagree unless he has a down year which is same problem with a different bow.

If the Leafs make no moves then someone has to go this year. AJ, Kerfoot maybe as small as Dermott but someone has to go to make cap asap.

If you add D-man in Brodie or Risto someone in that range then 2 of Kap, AJ, and Kerfoot go now and you add a 5m D-man and another 900k guy to the roster.

And as far as Seattle picking a player making money Ron Francis I would bet the house is asking what what pick will you give me to take Kerfoot, etc.

I guess it all depends on fans in the stands.

the league is voting on 20% escrow. There is no guarantee of fans In the stands. definitely not a full house.

Freddie will be a 32 year old goalie with no hardware (barring a vezina/cup in which case pay him whatever he wants).

What 32 year old goalie without hardware is getting term over 5? Knowing that there will be no movement In the cap for years?

Add In uncertainties of the pandemic and finances. I think he’s lucky to stay at 5 for term.
Teams will lose their shirts with less than 10k in the stands. I don’t know who will be able to afford anyone.

Toronto will absolutely have to get rid of AJ or kerfoot. Maybe both.

but 40 pt players with 2.5 Million salaries at 3.5 cap hits will be moveable in my mind. Cost certainty. If they were 30 plus no way but at 25-28 they have value.

Toronto can nip and tuck til rielly and then make
The big decisions. their front loaded contracts will be a big benefit because teams with low cash flow will be paying partial contracts.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs
If you want how bad it for Leafs in 21-22. 68.2m 12 players (not including obvious min players to be sure. F Andersen and Hyman ufa's in 21. They can make cap this year with only small subtractions unless signing a 5m free agent d-man. In 21 they are screwed.

Every single team is f***ed due to covid. Let's not make this a Leaf thing.

Andersen won't get much of a raise if he is even extended. He hasn't gotten it done when it counted and just had his worse year as a Leaf. Hyman will get a good raise but nothing crazy.. He has played with either JT or Matthews nearly his entire career as a Leaf (odd time with Kadri). Still very valuable but not a 7M+ type signing.

But anyways, there will be changes. That's how sports work. We've heard we're f***ed and can't keep anyone for 5 years now. We were supposed to lose everyone last summer too but Dubas got out of the Marleau deal. He got out of the Zaitsev deal. If Marner has to go some day, then he has to go. But he will be returning a haul that will help the Leafs remain competitive meaning likely includes a good dman and futures, along with a short term cap dump.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Yay! More DeAngelo trade proposals so we can hear other fans with a bias against him that never watch him play tell us how horrible he is and how they wouldn't even take him for free!

No offense it doesn't really matter how good he is. The Leafs are in 0 need of puck moving offensive Dmen. They have that type of player out the bunghole. They need a physical stay at home guy who can match against any line other teams put out. He doesn't fill any need for the Leafs especially at the cost of Nylander.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Yay! More DeAngelo trade proposals so we can hear other fans with a bias against him that never watch him play tell us how horrible he is and how they wouldn't even take him for free!
Please explain how DeAngelo is an efficient shut down/penalty killing dman that the leafs need because you just sound incredibly stupid

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
No offense it doesn't really matter how good he is. The Leafs are in 0 need of puck moving offensive Dmen. They have that type of player out the bunghole. They need a physical stay at home guy who can match against any line other teams put out. He doesn't fill any need for the Leafs especially at the cost of Nylander.
Fit vs. not wanting him because of political disagreements are what I see daily, that's what I meant. I agree, the Leafs need a different type of D, as offense isn't their issue from upfront or on the backend.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Every single team is f***ed due to covid. Let's not make this a Leaf thing.

Andersen won't get much of a raise if he is even extended. He hasn't gotten it done when it counted and just had his worse year as a Leaf. Hyman will get a good raise but nothing crazy.. He has played with either JT or Matthews nearly his entire career as a Leaf (odd time with Kadri). Still very valuable but not a 7M+ type signing.

But anyways, there will be changes. That's how sports work. We've heard we're f***ed and can't keep anyone for 5 years now. We were supposed to lose everyone last summer too but Dubas got out of the Marleau deal. He got out of the Zaitsev deal. If Marner has to go some day, then he has to go. But he will be returning a haul that will help the Leafs remain competitive meaning likely includes a good dman and futures, along with a short term cap dump.

There are a bunch of teams in trouble. TBL issues are more just this year. But because many teams have/will have issues doesn't mean TML don't have issues.

And Hyman won't get 7m but he will get 5m. How much is Hyman improved vs. playing with Matthews improves anyone the Leafs/other teams have to decide.

If Anderson puts up a 2.80 gaa .900 sv% and loses round 1 in 2021 maybe he won't get a raise. But that brings up a far bigger issue and ask do the TML need a new affordable G and how do you get one? But if Anderson puts up say 2.50 gaa .910 sv% and beats a tb or bos in playoff he absolutely will get more than 5-5.5m.

And for sure Ron Francis in Seattle is rubbing his hands together saying come to papa. He will get good but overpaid players and picks on top of that so that teams can make the cap.

Reactions: TheKingPin

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Is there a 1 (Nylander) for 2 (middle 6 winger + defensive RD) package out there that does make sense?
Feel there would be more options for that then a 1 for 1 deal of Nylander for a prime aged RD.

Reactions: wintersej

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Another guy incapable of holding a discussion without throwing insults out there to start. :thumbu:
It’s not an insult it’s a statement. DeAngelo is not a good dman ( good point producer sure ) and there is no way you can prove that I am incorrect.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This only matters for non-Leaf teams gaining good UFA's on cheap deals, doesn't apply to the Leafs re-signing players that love it here.

What I’m saying is. Who is going to sign a 32 year old Andersen for more.

if he wants to leave for more money. To where?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Assuming he is healthy, I’d trade the Avs 3rd rounder in 2021 for Johnsson. Not any more. Not a prospect, not a 2020 pick. It’s a cap dump for the Leafs. Otherwise, no interest.

Lol I have a feeling we will do better but think you for your wisdom...

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Just thinking of a few teams that could use Nylander and trying to match need for Toronto:

To Cgy: Nylander

To Tor: Andersson, Mangiapane

To Ari: Nylander

To Tor: Soderstrom, Hinostroza

To Islanders: Nylander

To Tor: Dobson, 2021 1st

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Just thinking of a few teams that could use Nylander and trying to match need for Toronto:

To Cgy: Nylander

To Tor: Andersson, Mangiapane

To Ari: Nylander

To Tor: Soderstrom, Hinostroza

To Islanders: Nylander

To Tor: Dobson, 2021 1st
I like those. Especially the Dobson one I see him and Rielly clicking well together. Not sure what hinostroza brings to the leafs tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad