Value of: William Nylander

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs
If you want how bad it for Leafs in 21-22. 68.2m 12 players (not including obvious min players to be sure. F Andersen and Hyman ufa's in 21. They can make cap this year with only small subtractions unless signing a 5m free agent d-man. In 21 they are screwed.
So someone has to go. 13m for 8 players and one of those is the starting goalie who is getting a raise. Unless they don’t sign Hyman and fill the roster with league minimum players but that doesn’t seem like a winning formula for a cap team.

ideally for the leafs it’s one of the big 3 but with a flat cap they won’t get the value they should for guys like that and they only suit contending teams who generally don’t have 10m in free cap.

Last edited:

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Larsson, Broberg and our 1st pick for the 2021 draft( top 10 protected) for Nylander.

Saves Toronto money and fills a need short term and some good futures to boot. I may get some flack from oiler fans, but i think Nylander would fit nicely with Mcdavid and round out our scoring.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
So someone has to go. 13m for 8 players and one of those is the starting goalie who is getting a raise. Unless they don’t sign Hyman and fill the roster with league minimum players but that doesn’t seem like a winning formula for a cap team.

ideally for the leafs it’s one of the big 3 but with a flat cap they won’t get the value they should for guys like that and they only suit contending teams who generally don’t have 10m in free cap.
100% correct and why signing Alex P. just isn't happening w/o Marner trade.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Larsson, Broberg and our 1st pick for the 2021 draft( top 10 protected) for Nylander.

Saves Toronto money and fills a need short term and some good futures to boot. I may get some flack from oiler fans, but i think Nylander would fit nicely with Mcdavid and round out our scoring.

This trade happens after the play in round which means that pick is what 19+ and while Broberg looks promising our left side is already a log jam with Muzzin, Sandin and Dermott. 1 year of Larsson doesn't cut it we would already need a deal in place too. Nylander would be fantastic on McJesus wing. He is reasonably priced and can fill on C in a pinch.

It’s a hard trade to swallow which means it’s likely pretty close value wise.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If the leafs would like to dip into the free agent pool this season moving Nylander may be a good option. If I were the leafs I’d be looking for a solid cheap RHD like Connor Murphy and prospects/Picks or just Picks/Prospects/NHL players in ELCs then use that cap for a Dman like Hamonic/Bodie/Demelo ( obviously they wouldn’t cost 7 million ). If your team is interested in Nylander and you want to make a fantasy offer in my eyes Dermott and one of Kerfoot/Johnsson should be available.

lol. trade Nylander for a 4mil 3rd pair dman +?

nope

Reactions: Merrrlin

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs
If you want how bad it for Leafs in 21-22. 68.2m 12 players (not including obvious min players to be sure. F Andersen and Hyman ufa's in 21. They can make cap this year with only small subtractions unless signing a 5m free agent d-man. In 21 they are screwed.

screwed lol. Replace Hyman with a marlies call up and give Andersen the difference.
or let seattle take a kerfoot/johnsson type

problem solved

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Drouin + Mete for Nylander + 3rd

This just doesnt make any sense for the leafs.

Nylander is significantly better than Drouin (the 35g/70+pts he woulda gotten this year woulda crushed what Drouin has done)
Mete battling for the #6dman spot doesnt make up that difference.

Drouin (5.5) + Petry@50% (2.75) + Brook for Nylander (6.97) + Johnsson (3.40) is much closer and would actually fill a need

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Hell no to trading Willie.

He's good value for money, suits Toronto's style and I don't see them getting anything back that covers up for the loss of his production.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
marner before william if the leafs need cap space.
In theory yes, but in reality while everyone loves MM talent, almost nobody can swallow his 10m+. And remember, that is for a W, not a C or a D.
That said, I can see a 3 way w/Sabes [who take MM to make Eichel happy] and Rangers.
We can go there in a new thread another time or one which is pertinent to the content.
This is all about Nyl.

For the Leafs, he will be if they want to add a top 4 D somehow.
The trouble is willingness to accept the available quality top D.

Leafs have lusted for a Parayko type, who is unavailable.
A Manson package would likely overvalue Manson.

A quality and effective RD is Deangelo.
ADA + Buch 3.25 expiring next season, defrays loss of WN production, and Geo ending elc begins rfa [conceding nothing, set aside debate who is better, no ? he is cheaper than the incumbents].

That package offers need at RD, depth a W, and value at G.
$ wise it will be a bit higher than Nylander alone but that is for 3 players.
Move your surplus G to Canes in a cap dump, that could be another couple of mil shaved off.

So, could we do a win win w/NY consolidating vets and a stud RW to use with Kreider + Zib.
Unfortunately, quoting John Belushi,
But NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
If I'm Dubas I'm sitting on my hands for a bit. Try to make some room by moving out AJ or whatever if need be, manage the flat cap as best as possible, and see where this core can go. Draft and develop as best we can. This notion that the leafs have a small window to compete is lunacy. We have 7-8 years of good young players, no need to go crazy and think we have a 3 year window.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
the only way I see them trading Nylander is if they land Pietro. A signed Pietro+whatever you get for Nylander for Nylander would be a gigantic win for the Leafs.

I don’t see Petro.... but my outside the box idea is hall.

He says he wants to settle down. Have a long term contract and be on a competitive team. More than money.

his gf/family are here. He loves the leafs. We can give him that.

IF he is serious about that. I would hall for cheaper long Term. Like a 7x7 ish deal. Use the nylander asset to get a top 4 d.

or go absolutely nuclear and trade marner for a stud. But willy would be more likely

Nylander will be basically free this year.

6 million deal.
3.5 Sb is paid.

so 2.5 left minus 30% escrow/deferral.

a team would be getting nylander for about

1.8 this year and 6 mill for 3 more. That’s insane value.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
In theory yes, but in reality while everyone loves MM talent, almost nobody can swallow his 10m+. And remember, that is for a W, not a C or a D.
That said, I can see a 3 way w/Sabes [who take MM to make Eichel happy] and Rangers.
We can go there in a new thread another time or one which is pertinent to the content.
This is all about Nyl.

The trouble is willingness to accept the available quality top D.

Leafs have lusted for a Parayko type, who is unavailable.
A Manson package would likely overvalue Manson.

A quality and effective RD is Deangelo.
ADA + Buch 3.25 expiring next season, defrays loss of WN production, and Geo ending elc begins rfa [conceding nothing, set aside debate who is better, no ? he is cheaper than the incumbents].

That package offers need at RD, depth a W, and value at G.
$ wise it will be a bit higher than Nylander alone but that is for 3 players.
Move your surplus G to Canes in a cap dump, that could be another couple of mil shaved off.

So, could we do a win win w/NY consolidating vets and a stud RW to use with Kreider + Zib.
Unfortunately, quoting John Belushi,
But NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....
Eh I think
Manson + Rakell prob gets a conversation started... not sure how the full trade would look... but it would allow the leafs to still have an offensively talented forward(who would likely excel playing with Tavares/Matthews/Marner/Hyman etc)… and would also give them someone to play along side Rielly. Essentially leafs fill a 2nd hole for same price without completely destroying their power house offense.

Hell id prefer to get Marner over Nylander… I just don't think Anaheim could justify paying what it would cost to get marner.

Reactions: bernmeister

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I don’t see Petro.... but my outside the box idea is hall.

He says he wants to settle down. Have a long term contract and be on a competitive team. More than money.

his gf/family are here. He loves the leafs. We can give him that.

IF he is serious about that. I would hall for cheaper long Term. Like a 7x7 ish deal. Use the nylander asset to get a top 4 d.

or go absolutely nuclear and trade marner for a stud. But willy would be more likely

Nylander will be basically free this year.

6 million deal.
3.5 Sb is paid.

so 2.5 left minus 30% escrow/deferral.

a team would be getting nylander for about

1.8 this year and 6 mill for 3 more. That’s insane value.
I still think Hall signs for way closer to 9 than 7 even with the cap situation. But I could also see him being the one big time free agent taking less to finally play for a contender. It has to be really mentally draining starting your career losing as much as he has.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Have 7 900k on the roster to solve the problem. Good luck!

? it’s actually easily done in the the next 2 years. even with the big 4.

If you think Andersen is going to get a long term raise at 32 from 5 million when teams may not even have fans in the stands. Well let’s just say we disagree.

in 3 years when rielly. Sandin Will be up it’s an issue. But we don’t know where the cap will be there. If the fans are allowed back. The bounce back may happen much quicker. We will see.

but bottom line is. Even IF toronto has to make a drastic move they have tons of options.

Matthews/marner will be making like 7 million a year in real cash.

nylander will be making
2.5 in whatever year he is getting traded.

Kappy/kerfoot/Johnson are making 2.5

These contracts will be valuable to teams that can’t pay full bills.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I still think Hall signs for way closer to 9 than 7 even with the cap situation. But I could also see him being the one big time free agent taking less to finally play for a contender. It has to be really mentally draining starting your career losing as much as he has.

I don’t know that he gets 9 in this market. It’s scary for teams right now.

Friedman reported many teams are pursuing pandemic language that players don’t get paid.

We will see but I could see him taking security.

It’s all a guess at this point though

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
As an Avs fan I’d offer something around Timmins + 1st + roster player like Jost/Compher/Donskoi/Zadorov(though you don’t need LD)
Wouldn’t be interested in that maybe if the + was Newhook. Newhook, Timmons and a 1st in a vacuum isn’t and overpayment for Nylander imo.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I mean, why would we? Moving Nylander for a prospect makes us worse while we are trying to contend. If anything we move him for an actual top 4 RHD.
Well the cap space used by making that trade can go towards a RD like Bodie, Demelo or Pietrangelo.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4