Value of: William Nylander

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
If the leafs would like to dip into the free agent pool this season moving Nylander may be a good option. If I were the leafs I’d be looking for a solid cheap RHD like Connor Murphy and prospects/Picks or just Picks/Prospects/NHL players in ELCs then use that cap for a Dman like Hamonic/Bodie/Demelo ( obviously they wouldn’t cost 7 million ). If your team is interested in Nylander and you want to make a fantasy offer in my eyes Dermott and one of Kerfoot/Johnsson should be available.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Assuming he is healthy, I’d trade the Avs 3rd rounder in 2021 for Johnsson. Not any more. Not a prospect, not a 2020 pick. It’s a cap dump for the Leafs. Otherwise, no interest.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Assuming he is healthy, I’d trade the Avs 3rd rounder in 2021 for Johnsson. Not any more. Not a prospect, not a 2020 pick. It’s a cap dump for the Leafs. Otherwise, no interest.
What would you give for Nylander? Him and Kadri have excelled with eachother in the past

Reactions: kbcb

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
the only way I see them trading Nylander is if they land Pietro. A signed Pietro+whatever you get for Nylander for Nylander would be a gigantic win for the Leafs.

I would trade Marner before Nylander if Pietro is within the realm of reality. That's another UFA contract that's going to be massive. Nylander has a much more efficient contract than Marner, and the difference between their cap hits is ~$4M. That's a mid pair defensemen or two depth players you can keep, or money towards Rielly. If you're gonna build your team around these huge contracts, you have to win on the margins.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
Or the Leafs can keep the solid young player signed to a decent contract

Too many people want the big name #1 RHD when it isn't necessary. Rielly in a healthy year is a #1, and we have him already. I'd much rather move depth pieces (Johnsson/Dermott/Kerfoot) and aim for cheaper FA options either unrestricted in Brodie/DeMelo, or restricted in Cernak/Weegar.

Rielly just needs a decent partner. Muzzin-Holl is pairing 2, and a combination of Sandin/Lehtonen/Liljegren make up the 3rd.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Or the Leafs can keep the solid young player signed to a decent contract

Too many people want the big name #1 RHD when it isn't necessary. Rielly in a healthy year is a #1, and we have him already. I'd much rather move depth pieces (Johnsson/Dermott/Kerfoot) and aim for cheaper FA options either unrestricted in Brodie/DeMelo, or restricted in Cernak/Weegar.

Rielly just needs a decent partner. Muzzin-Holl is pairing 2, and a combination of Sandin/Lehtonen/Liljegren make up the 3rd.
The thing is the leafs only have 4 million In cap space with multiple holes to fill. If they move Dermott and Kerfoot/Johnsson that could definitely land Demelo and fill out an effective roster but getting Bodie without moving a big contract is a pipe dream imo.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
How close are the leafs to the cap next year? Robertson should be a cheap roster spot who can contribute with a few others coming in on D to replace Ceci Not sure they’ll be able to go UFA shopping with an 81.5m cap and a few guys going out the door. They’ll need ELC contracts or release one of the bigger money contracts to keep all of Tavares, Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

Nylander is likely the easiest to move with a flat cap, not too many teams will be hunting for 10m+ contracts as cap space will be tight for those willing to spend.

I so wish our owner would help teams against the cap to collect assets for the future. There may be some guys available who fit in to our rebuild age wise and we have cap space galore. I envy having the leafs problem cap wise

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
The thing is the leafs only have 4 million In cap space with multiple holes to fill. If they move Dermott and Kerfoot/Johnsson that could definitely land Demelo and fill out an effective roster but getting Bodie without moving a big contract is a pipe dream imo.

It would require moving all 3 of Dermott/Johnsson/Kerfoot and finding a cheaper replacement 3C, but it's an option I'd rather explore than moving Nylander. He was so good this year. Brodie at around 5 million is workable and he'd be a great fit next to Rielly.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
How close are the leafs to the cap next year? Robertson should be a cheap roster spot who can contribute with a few others coming in on D to replace Ceci Not sure they’ll be able to go UFA shopping with an 81.5m cap and a few guys going out the door. They’ll need ELC contracts or release one of the bigger money contracts to keep all of Tavares, Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

Nylander is likely the easiest to move with a flat cap, not too many teams will be hunting for 10m+ contracts as cap space will be tight for those willing to spend.

I so wish our owner would help teams against the cap to collect assets for the future. There may be some guys available who fit in to our rebuild age wise and we have cap space galore. I envy having the leafs problem cap wise
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs
If you want how bad it for Leafs in 21-22. 68.2m 12 players (not including obvious min players to be sure. F Andersen and Hyman ufa's in 21. They can make cap this year with only small subtractions unless signing a 5m free agent d-man. In 21 they are screwed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->