William Nylander vs Bo Horvat

• William Nylander

• Bo Horvat

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Why?

Horvat is an all situations center who was on pace for 28+28 last year. Nylander had 61 points playing with Matthews. Horvat is on pace for 60+ points with 30+ goals this year playing with Tim Schaller and randoms as his linemates. The only player who is better than him on the Canucks is Pettersson and they don't play together 5 on 5. Nylander has not proven that he can be a near ppg player.

If Nylander hasn't proved this, Bo certainly hasn't

Nylander has the higher ceiling, yes. He's also younger but only by 11 months. This is Horvats 5th season in the league and he's improved his ppg every single season. Horvat has done something Nylander hasn't. Leading his team in scoring at the age of 21, and that's with the Sedins on the team.

PAP led our team in scoring once too.
You just mentioned this yourself. There are better players on the team.

Soon Brock or Elias will take that crown from him too.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
except for:
CF% 5v5
GF% 5v5
Better HDCF% 5v5
Better HDGF% 5v5
He kills penalties and Kadri doesnt
Better P/60 5v5
Better A/60 5v5
Better GAP (goals above replacement)
Better CF% rel 5v5
And he dominates him in Primary Points
Better in faceoffs

Ohh and lets not forget they had the same Point per Game last season LOL.
Come on now. Using stats to try to prove a point.:sarcasm: That won't go well.:sarcasm:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I can't believe people think its crazy comparing Horvat to Willy. To me this is Horvat pretty easily.

They are both top 6 players. Willie is more talented, but as an overall player Horvat is better. C vs W.

At this point Nylander is a 60 point winger. And if he's to be a PPG+ winger its going to be playing on good teams alongside a great center like a Matthews or Tavares, exc. Not on teams like Horvat has played on in the past.

Willie's career high in goals is 22. Horvat's career high is also 22. Nylander did it in 82 games, Horvat did it in 64. Willie is a better playmaker, he's more creative offensively, better dangles, exc. But Horvat is a better goal scorer.

Where Horvat separates himself is that he plays much more, he plays a much bigger role and he's more vital to his teams success. As a center he just impacts the game more. He's a horse for the Canucks in a way you just can't compare Nylander. He's also going to be the next captain.

I couldn't imagine swapping Nylander and Horvat, and having Nylander take on Horvat's role. Boeser vs Nylander would be a better comparable, atleast they have the same role & play the same position.

Even in the playoffs he's tied with Nylander's career high. And that's when Horvat was a rookie 4th line center. Not a top 6 player like Willie.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Horvat. Nylander is more skilled offensively but Horvat is the better all round player who plays center and doesn’t get the benefit of playing with Matthews. Doesn’t mind the physical game either.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Can’t wait for the Leafs-Canucks matchups this season. Based on HF polls, even if the Leafs have their full lineup, they should be stomped no problem.

Granted, if HF’s opinion of the Leafs were even remotely correct Matthews, Marner, and Nylander would be max 40 point players and the Leafs would finish 25th-31st every year.

Reactions: DatSnipeMatthews

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Can’t wait for the Leafs-Canucks matchups this season. Based on HF polls, even if the Leafs have their full lineup, they should be stomped no problem.

Granted, if HF’s opinion of the Leafs were even remotely correct Matthews, Marner, and Nylander would be max 40 point players and the Leafs would finish 25th-31st every year.
And if Leafs fans opinions of the Leafs were even remotely correct they’d be giving the Oiler dynasty teams a run for their money.
Best player at every position!

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

So, back to the point of the thread; how is Nylander better than Horvat?

Exaggeration & generalization aside. Matthews is still the best player among Canucks / Leafs young cores. With Marner not far behind. I'd have it:

Matthews
Pettersson
Marner
Horvat
Boeser
Nylander

Some might put Boeser above Horvat, and on upside he prob should be. But as of RN Horvat being an absolute horse down the middle gives him the advantage for me.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Offensively it’s a wash. The fact horvat plays a sold two way game and is a center pushes him over the edge

Horvat led the league in neutral zone takeaways last season?
Offensively they're a wash, except Bo has never hit 55pts?

Its Nylander on both sides of the puck.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Horvat led the league in neutral zone takeaways last season?
Offensively they're a wash, except Bo has never hit 55pts?

Its Nylander on both sides of the puck.
If you’re going to play that game then Matthews has never broken 70 points. Guess you’d take a 75 point player over him then.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
If you’re going to play that game then Matthews has never broken 70 points. Guess you’d take a 75 point player over him then.

You would be correct. When have I said otherwise.

You can see AM34 is better than some who has more games. Its a fact.
Way more arguable between Bo and Willy.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You would be correct. When have I said otherwise.

You can see AM34 is better than some who has more games. Its a fact.
Way more arguable between Bo and Willy.
Nope. It’s not a fact. Objectively you take into account games missed by both Matthews and Horvat due to injury. There is not a GM in the NHL that would assess Matthews as a 69 point player or Horvat as a 55 point player. You absolutely look at games played. You also look at the fact that Nylander plays with Matthews, the best player on either team. Horvat doesn’t have that luxury but needs to drive his own line.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Got numbers.
I’ve seen them. You need context. Which is why so many misuse stats.
I’d take Horvat defensively and because he’s a center. Offensively there’s a slight edge for Nylander but he also gets to play with the best player on either team. I also prefer the more physical style of Horvat but that’s a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
First of all, I'm a Canucks fan and I really wanted to draft Nylander over Virtanen. He's good.

Second, arent these two completely different types of players. Horvat is a two-way C, drive to the net kind of guy that is more of a kesler-esqe player and nylander is a crafty offensive player with some dangly hands and more of a skinner-esqe player.

Ultimately both of these guys are going to be solid players in their niche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad