Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
giphy.gif

Leafs fans. Always brighten the day.
Glad to be of service.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Nylander is younger, way more productive, and has a higher ceiling. Horvat has a good all-around game, but elite scoring talent > secondary scoring talent any day of the week.

This is one of those polls that will be bumped one day to show how out to lunch you guys are for picking Horvat.

Hes one year younger, its negligible. Nylander scores at the same pace as Bo in the past year. You are voting purely based on potential and hypotheticals.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Nylander’s line at even strength faced the opposition’s top pairings and shutdown lines.

Horvat took 40 face offs the other night. Countless defensive zone starts for him. He’s leaned on as our “Mr. Everything” centre. Nylander isn’t utilized like that and isn’t asked to do nearly as much as Horvat.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Okay,
I'm genuinely interested in this discussion.

The setback is we don't know nylander's numbers this year, and I f***ing wish he didn't hold out (although understandable) so we could get a real comparison.

Horvat has improved every year, but this season (so far, and yes I know..small sample size) looks so much better. Like... A LOT better. I really doubted he could be a 1C, and was happy with the future being pettersson (1c), horvat (2c) but now I'm not really doubting it. He can drive a line with bottom 6 players on it. He can shutdown the other lines. He's being compared to Kesler (yeah, he's not Selke-worthy (perhaps, yet), and I don't think he has that wrist shot). I think hes taking more than half the faceoffs each game (dont quote me on that) he definitely a hard-working player, literally carried the team when both Petey and Boeser were out (vvv small sample size)..unfortunately, his linemate (Bae) got injured quickly and then Sutter AND beagle were out so he's on shutdown role. The only thing I would change from his performance rn, he is going on quite a penalty streak.

Anyways, I'm curious for opinions that aren't Canucks fans.. people who have actually seen him play though.

Idk who I take, it's hard when Nylander isnt playing. 5.5m caphit for Horvat is hard to pass, but who knows what Nylander gets.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Nylander a better all-around/defensive player than Horvat?

Seriously, what am I reading here, lol?
From what I've read, Horvat supposedly has dreadful defensive metrics down to the micro level. Meanwhile, Willy is actually one of the best forwards at transition defense in the league. I know, sounds absurd, but if I remember correctly he led the league in defensive plays* in the neutral zone last year, while also ranking among the top 10 in adjusted takeaway rate. He's pretty lousy in his own zone against an established cycle though.

* Misremembered a bit, he led the league in successful stick checks in the neutral zone. Still rated very high in overall defensive plays though.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Plus, Willy is playoff warrior. A player who leads teams to glory through sheer will and determination.

What kind of playoff warrior skates away from a winning puck battle to concede possession in the offensive zone with a minute left to go in game 7 down by a goal because he might get hit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad