William Nylander Value/Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Id offer Nylander a 2 yr deal to see if he remains an enigma or not. A player that plays with little emotion despite having a dominate skillset as his disposal.

Do I think Matthews like Nylander as a line mate? Overall, I would say no. Matthews has his own compete level issues at times granted but Nylander shows up less and leaves his line to do more work as he floats around. Nylander is not a reliable hockey player.

An enigma? Are you sure you know what an enigma is?. It is very easy to understand that nylander is a great offensive player who is 22 who with time will get better defensively.

E-nig-ma
A person or thing that’s is mysterious, puzzling or difficult to understand

He is only an enigma if you beleive he is done developing at 22

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Willy does the most work in neutral zone, breakouts, and offensive zone chance generation on any line he plays on, while being top 5 in the league in adjusted takeaways relative to ice time, yet some still claim that he lets everyone else do most of the work. Completely absurd.

Edit: Actually let's continue. Willy also ranks above average on the team in puck retrieval on dump-ins and loose puck recoveries, so it's not like he's only involved with the puck either.

He basically has a big role in every area of the game except pure defensive zone coverage and puck battles, which is kind of natural since he's playing on the wing.

It should also be obvious that the reason the Leafs went out and got Tavares was not because of how they view Nylander. You don't base your decision on whether to acquire elite talent on which position you prefer another player on, when he can play several.

Last edited:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Not to read too much into this but...

Willy hasn't tweeted anything about Tavares joining the team.

William Nylander (@wmnylander) | Twitter

Now that could mean nothing as he is in contract negotiations and doesn't/can't tip his hand. But with Tavares coming over, Willy just lost his transition to center.

Might be a pissed off willy.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

Now that could mean nothing as he is in contract negotiations and doesn't/can't tip his hand. But with Tavares coming over, Willy just lost his transition to center.

I dont think nylander cares if he plays wing or center. Imo playing with matthews or toronto top minutes >>>playing reduced 3rd center roll.

I think it is going to be a lot of fun playing in toronto. We are drafting one stud d away from a dynasty.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

He liked all the instagram posts of the Leafs signing Tavares. Think you might just be reading into it though.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He liked all the instagram posts of the Leafs signing Tavares. Think you might just be reading into it though.

nope, didn't shout it from the roof tops and use the weird side eye emoji about Tavares that mean he wants out.

He rarely tweets anything most of it is retweeting and liking

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Chris Johnston said there's a sub zero chance they trade Nylander. Enough with the madness.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Chris Johnston said there's a sub zero chance they trade Nylander. Enough with the madness.

Can you please show me this quote? It's not that I don't believe you, I just want to use it every time someone brings up trading William Nylander.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
he probably read the comments on hf boards and thought to himself, "sh!t, gotta like all the posts welcoming tavares to toronto or fans believe i'm salty and hate my teammates."

i'm kidding, obviously

Reactions: Walshy7 and Morgs

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Can you please show me this quote? It's not that I don't believe you, I just want to use it every time someone brings up trading William Nylander.

eh, chris johnston isn't a perfect source anyway. People shit on dreger, johnsoton is that level too

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
my dream is to just re-sign Willy now and extend Marner/Matthews at the same time, have LeafsPR announce all 3 (long) extensions on twitter, and just end the madness about "affording" them all with JT, etc.

What a day that would be.

northstar55

Jul 3, 2018
Offer him 7 years/6million. If he declines shop him around for a defenceman. eg. Josi, Hamilton, Barrie, D Keith, Subban.

Some deals we would need to add, others we might get more.

Reactions: Faltorvo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Either have I and I'm beyond delighted he's here.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Offer him 7 years/6million. If he declines shop him around for a defenceman. eg. Josi, Hamilton, Barrie, D Keith, Subban.

Some deals we would need to add, others we might get more.

Lol i wouldn't trade him 1 for 1 with any of those defenseman you listed.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
An enigma? Are you sure you know what an enigma is?. It is very easy to understand that nylander is a great offensive player who is 22 who with time will get better defensively.

E-nig-ma
A person or thing that’s is mysterious, puzzling or difficult to understand

He is only an enigma if you beleive he is done developing at 22
Jake is an enigma, Nylander is a "burgeoning star".

Reactions: Walshy7

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Josi has only a 4million dollar cap hit. A bargain for a 1D.

Trade a 22 year old we have cost controlled RFA rights for another 5(?) years for a 28 year old thats only signed for 2 years at a steal and will want probably close to 10M? And he's arguably not better than Morgan. Plus, we'd have to add to Nylander and thats just no bueno.

The defenseman I'd trade him for:

Karlsson
Jones
OEL
Hedman
List over.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Id offer Nylander a 2 yr deal to see if he remains an enigma or not. A player that plays with little emotion despite having a dominate skillset as his disposal.

Do I think Matthews like Nylander as a line mate? Overall, I would say no. Matthews has his own compete level issues at times granted but Nylander shows up less and leaves his line to do more work as he floats around. Nylander is not a reliable hockey player.
He plays like his Dad. All the talent in the world just not the consistant effort. I wondered, when he was drafted, whether he would be like that. Looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Trade a 22 year old we have cost controlled RFA rights for another 5(?) years for a 28 year old thats only signed for 2 years at a steal and will want probably close to 10M? And he's arguably not better than Morgan. Plus, we'd have to add to Nylander and thats just no bueno.

The defenseman I'd trade him for:

Karlsson
Jones
OEL
Hedman
List over.
Take those rose colored glasses off. You're embarrassing yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad