Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
IMO they are each currently worth:
7 x 8 for Nylander
8 x 8 for Marner
11 x 8 for Matthews

Hopefully they each take a slight discount, but anything at or below these numbers is fine IMO.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
7m for Nylander would be my ceiling this summer, Hopefully no more than 6.5

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
7 x 8 for Nylander
8 x 8 for Marner
11 x 8 for Matthews

Hopefully they each take a slight discount, but anything at or below these numbers is fine IMO.

Add in Tavares at 11 x 7 is four players at a combined 37 million sustainable?

Magic16Mitch

Oct 15, 2017
I don't want to give him a dime over 6. Great player but until he learns to play his ass off, he's not worth big money. For those who thought Willie > Marner (I used to be one of them), I think Willie just donated his share of 0.5-1 mil to Mitch over this playoff series.

And next year it could be Nylander that is better than Mitch. This is why we need to make a nice deal with Nylander because after next season, Mitch is likely to get something similiar. They are equally good players, the only thing is that Mitch had great form in most recent memory. Sign Willy to 6,5 a year and I'll be very happy :)

Reactions: Walshy7

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
When is Nylander likely to sign his contract btw?

Now that the big fish is landed, they know what the cap situation is looking like longer term, and Willy's role is now essentially dialed in (winger rather than future center) I would say Dubas has a pretty good idea where they'd like to go with his contract.

My guess remains around $6.5M for six years, falling between the comparable wingers like Ehlers and Pastrnak.

As for when it's signed they have time to work it out but I'm guessing he's next up on the to-do list after the Tavares signing.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Now that the big fish is landed, they know what the cap situation is looking like longer term, and Willy's role is now essentially dialed in (winger rather than future center) I would say Dubas has a pretty good idea where they'd like to go with his contract.

My guess remains around $6.5M for six years, falling between the comparable wingers like Ehlers and Pastrnak.

As for when it's signed they have time to work it out but I'm guessing he's next up on the to-do list after the Tavares signing.

willy is not in the same conversation as pastrnak

Reactions: hullsy47

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
6m MAX

Ehlers contract starts this season at that cap hit with the better numbers.

should balance out the cap raise.

Doesn’t matter when his contract starts it’s when he signed it, you can’t count this past seasons numbers were after his contract was signed. With the cap rise a similar contract to ehlers would be $6.25~$6.5m

Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
7 x 8 for Nylander
8 x 8 for Marner
11 x 8 for Matthews

Dubas mentioned JT leaving money on the table and referenced the coming contracts in that context. Clearly, the organization will use JT as a template to push everyone to take slightly less for the greater good.

Reactions: WizardOfNaz

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Add in Tavares at 11 x 7 is four players at a combined 37 million sustainable?

Wash just won the cup with a

oh and did i mention,,,,,,, they just added a 8m???????

save for JT the ONLY active contract we have over 5 million leaves in 2 seasons

Last edited:

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Almost everyone seems to underrate what Willy has done in his first 2+ seasons as a Maple Leaf. If we were ever to move him (we definitely should NOT), the return would/should be a heck of a lot closer to Jones (when the Johansen deal was made) than Tanev.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
6 years @ 6 million per (36 million)
Or
8 years @ 7 million per (56 million)

Those would be my offers. I believe that is fair. One is pretty well on mark with Ehlers and Pastrnak. And the second is an extra million per year (and 20 million overall) to buy a couple more of his Free agent years. I believe Nylander even at 7 million per, with a rising cap, will look good in a few years time

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
6m MAX

Ehlers contract starts this season at that cap hit with the better numbers.

should balance out the cap raise.

It was signed before the cap was confirmed to be increased though. It was negotiated during the old cap amount. Inflation should be expected for the Nylander contract, but do agree that it’s one of his closest comparables.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Dubas mentioned JT leaving money on the table and referenced the coming contracts in that context. Clearly, the organization will use JT as a template to push everyone to take slightly less for the greater good.
Exactly! People in the media always mentioning trading Nylander. They didnt bring in Tavares to trade one of our young guns. Tavares was drawn to our "big 3", the quality of firepower he'd be joining, and the plans the organization had going forward. Its now "the big 4" and theyre here to stay..

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Doesn’t matter when his contract starts it’s when he signed it, you can’t count this past seasons numbers were after his contract was signed. With the cap rise a similar contract to ehlers would be $6.25~$6.5m

I'd ballpark it in that range to Walshy

If he wants more you make him sit and wait until he's willing to do that deal, sucks being an RFA

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Id offer Nylander a 2 yr deal to see if he remains an enigma or not. A player that plays with little emotion despite having a dominate skillset as his disposal.

Do I think Matthews like Nylander as a line mate? Overall, I would say no. Matthews has his own compete level issues at times granted but Nylander shows up less and leaves his line to do more work as he floats around. Nylander is not a reliable hockey player.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Id offer Nylander a 2 yr deal to see if he remains an enigma or not. A player that plays with little emotion despite having a dominate skillset as his disposal.

Do I think Matthews like Nylander as a line mate? Overall, I would say no. Matthews has his own compete level issues at times granted but Nylander shows up less and leaves his line to do more work as he floats around. Nylander is not a reliable hockey player.

willi here is 7 years at 6/6.2m

oh no don't like that , dang please hold,,,,, it's shanny on the phone

sir yes, i know our D needs a blue chip upgrade but sir that takes real resources to obtain ,, but i might have an idea, can i call you back?

now willi,,,, 6m/7y , that was a no right????

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If the Leafs can get Nylander locked up for under 7 million for 6-8 years it has the potential to be one of the best valued contracts on the team.

Especially if he stars to approach PPG territory as he enters his prime

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
With Tavares on board, Leafs made up there mind Willy is not a center to them.

Predict Nylanders future?
1) A guy who continues to grow, ups his compete level and becomes a stud. To me Nylander and Matt Barzal have identical tools. Only one difference between Barzal and Nylander, the mental aspect of the game. Confidence,passion, willpower.

2) A player that always leaves u wanting more. It does not take a smart person to see Nylander give half ass effort on far too many nights. He has Barzals hands, skating, vision, a better shot, playmaking etc...but does not appear to have any desire to fulfill that game in and game out.

*Everything right now points to 2) With that being said, u cant trust a player like that. Nylander must have lost trust from his team-mates in the playoffs. I watched 75 plus games a year, I have no clue game in and game out which Nylander will show up that night.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden

It's just interesting to see how far removed some people are here. The kid just turned 22 and has two straight seasons with 61 points while not consitently getting big PP minutes, like lets say Ovechkin.
I don't see any big problems with Nylanders character either, in the right enviroment he will mature into an even bigger star than he already is. At the same time it's also the team staffs job to guide their young talents in their early careers, giving them all the tools nessecary to succeed both on and off the ice. I for one have confidence in Nylander as well as the staff.
Nylanders value is probably right around 6.5 to 7 million just like most hockey experts actually expect, like it or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: carko32 and Walshy7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad