William Nylander Value/Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Elhers signed his deal prior to the last cap increase. It’s about the context of the negotiations. Nylander’s agent now knows the salary cap will be near 80 million which will give him extra leverage

Seems like a very superficial reason to give him a 12.5% raise on Ehler's contract.

Mar 26, 2010
Willy is just as important as Matthews and Marner. Many have him better than Marner at that.

Toronto should not even be entertaining trading him! Unless we have Drew coming back, then no way. It would be a huge mistake to move him baring overpayment.

Willy is Elite!

$6.5M @ 7 years

Lock him up long term.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Willy is just as important as Matthews and Marner. Many have him better than Marner at that.

Toronto should not even be entertaining trading him! Unless we have Drew coming back, then no way. It would be a huge mistake to move him baring overpayment.

Willy is Elite!

$6.5M @ 7 years

Lock him up long term.

Disagree -I value the other two above him by a fair amount.

Mar 26, 2010
Disagree -I value the other two above him by a fair amount.
That is fair. Matthews for sure is a tier above Mitch and Willy.

I still feel that Toronto should NOT be trading Willy. He has chemistry with Matthews.

IF, big if...Toronto does sign Tavares, I feel that Matthews will stay with Nylander and Tavares will play with Marner.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Willie gets 7 x 6
Marner gets 7 x 6
Matthews gets 12.5 x 8

Those numbers seem about right, except for Matthews. I think the team would want to max out the term on both Marner and Nylander. No sense in not making use of an 8 year term when you have the ability to. But no way Matthews makes more than McDavid. No way in hell. He'd likely get somewhere around 10.5-11 per season. Buffalo really screwed up on Eichel's contract, and Matthews is better than Eichel. By that comparison alone, he should make more. But making more than McDavid? No. No way. If McDavid stays healthy for the rest of his time with Edmonton, nobody else in the league will win the Art Ross. Nobody makes more than McDavid.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Those numbers seem about right, except for Matthews. I think the team would want to max out the term on both Marner and Nylander. No sense in not making use of an 8 year term when you have the ability to. But no way Matthews makes more than McDavid. No way in hell. He'd likely get somewhere around 10.5-11 per season. Buffalo really screwed up on Eichel's contract, and Matthews is better than Eichel. By that comparison alone, he should make more. But making more than McDavid? No. No way. If McDavid stays healthy for the rest of his time with Edmonton, nobody else in the league will win the Art Ross. Nobody makes more than McDavid.

At some point in the next few years somebody is going to make more than McDavid, doesn't matter if he wins every scoring title the next 8yrs of his contract. The best player's contract doesn't dictate what future players are allowed to sign for, the cap does.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
At some point in the next few years somebody is going to make more than McDavid, doesn't matter if he wins every scoring title the next 8yrs of his contract. The best player's contract doesn't dictate what future players are allowed to sign for, the cap does.

The best player's contract has the most influence in setting the market rate. If the cap increases substantially, yes, it will give players more room to negotiate a larger pay. But if the cap remains roughly in the same area, McDavid's contract is going to basically be the ceiling for what a player can ask for. If Matthews wants to match McDavid's pay, he's going to have to pull off a 100 point season to make it happen. The only reason why he's even being considered for something like $12m+, is because Buffalo screwed up large by grossly overpaying Eichel.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Willie gets 7 x 6
Marner gets 7 x 6
Matthews gets 12.5 x 8

OK show me Matthews:

- Hart Trophy
- Art Ross x 2
- Ted Lindsey x 2

Show me which years he was nominated while you're at it....

$11 million should be Matthews ceiling.

$10 million x 8 should be his contract.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Willie gets 7 x 6
Marner gets 7 x 6
Matthews gets 12.5 x 8
JVR just got $7 million at 5 years. The way I see it that sort of sets the market a bit (admittedly JVR was a UFA to an RFA in Nylander). Given Nylander is way younger and already better (and looks able to transition to centre if needs be), I honestly would be ok with 7x7.

Tell me, what would you guys perfer 7 years of Nylander or 5 years of JVR at the same AAV?
Thank goodness the Buds didn't match Philly.

As to Matty, it depends on how he does this year, but if he puts up points at a ppg+ pace again this year while driving a top line; 11 million x8 sounds right to me. Marner likely gets an 8 million cap hit.

That would put our Big 3 at $26 million per year, which is pricey, but I think they are worth it, and if the Cap continues to increase, those contracts will look better as they hit their mid 20s.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

If late season Marner is the Marner going forward he'll be a posotion to demand 8M.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
JVR @ 7 million a season. Yep, I can definitely see a lock-out looming.
JvR has no impact on the chances of a lockout happening. For one, that is not an egregious contract. Also, the lockouts happened because the contract structures became financially untenable, not because players got big money. They'll always get big money relative to the economy of the league. As long as the contract structures don't allow teams to circumvent the cap and drive expenditures up enough that competitiveness becomes financially unfeasible for many teams, we won't have a lockout.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Theoretically they can get Nylander, Marner and Matthews all under the cap with Tavares.

My big fear right now: GMs will look at the Tavares deal, Marner and Matthews up next year and then offer-sheet Nylander.
If I were the GM of a team like Montreal that really needs young talent at C right now and have a mountain of cap space and given their long-term contracts to veterans can't really rebuild... They could do it.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
With JT signing at "only" 11 mil. My hope is that AM signed for the same. Marner at 6-7 and Willy at 6mil. Not go and offer sheet trouba since our next 7 first round picks will be 28th or later lol

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Theoretically they can get Nylander, Marner and Matthews all under the cap with Tavares.

My big fear right now: GMs will look at the Tavares deal, Marner and Matthews up next year and then offer-sheet Nylander.
If I were the GM of a team like Montreal that really needs young talent at C right now and have a mountain of cap space and given their long-term contracts to veterans can't really rebuild... They could do it.

Eh, offersheets are so rare they might as well take them out of the CBA. When was the last time a player signed kne, Weber? And that was like 6 years ago

Mar 26, 2010
Nylander’s contract extension needs to be top priority now. Can not screw around with it. Willy is a BIG part of the future in Toronto.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Nylander’s contract extension needs to be top priority now. Can not screw around with it. Willy is a BIG part of the future in Toronto.
That they used him as part of selling the team to Tavares tells that they definitely see him as a core part of the team going forward. I'm going to guess that they try to tie him up long-term, but if they choose a bridge to make it easier to get through next years cap bottleneck then that's not the end of the world either.

Reactions: carko32 and RCS

ashs

Oct 27, 2007

Willy is Elite!

$6.5M @ 7 years

Lock him up long term.

They would probably trade kadri before any of nylander or Marner

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hopefully Marleau can be traded at the latest after July 1st 2019 when his signing bonus is paid, he is over paid by at least 2 million. Marleau has Nylanders money. Nylander deserves 6-7 with the raised cap.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
please lock this beast up

5.5 x 6 for Willy (sponsorships etc....)

7 x 7 for marner (plus intact insurance and other revenue)

9 x 8 for matthews (he will get other add revenue)

lets freakin' go

:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: