William Nylander Part XV

Re-sign or trade for a solid D

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
that ain't happening. no way you get Parayko for Nylander, and even if you could convince the Jets to part with Trouba, he doesn't want to play in Canada after this contract.
Minnesota is off to a slow start with 1 win in 5 games and aging centers in Staal/Koivu. If they would entertain moving Dumba and embracing a rebuild, I would be interested for sure.

Reactions: Notsince67

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
One other net negative that shouldn't be ignored about Nylander's absence is the fact that he may have inadvertently just made Kapanen (who will be an RFA) more expensive due to the numbers he's putting up.

So even if Willy eventually signs for 6.5-6.7M as we hope and expect, he may have just bumped Kapanen's overall cap hit by a few million, when Kap's numbers should have been suppressed playing on the third or fourth line.
Nylander's absence gives Kappy a chance to shine, which he does in spades. Where's the problem, would you rather he sucks and therefore is cheaper come contract time?

I can't see how the Leafs wouldn't want every player to blow mgmt's mind with their performances every game. Better to have issues fitting players under the cap than have players who can't play well. This is definitely not a problem.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Minnesota is off to a slow start with 1 win in 5 games and aging centers in Staal/Koivu. If they would entertain moving Dumba and embracing a rebuild, I would be interested for sure.
I'd be estatic if dumba could be had, not sure Minnesota would move him though.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Kapanen doesn't have 2 60 point seasons under his belt currently.
I'm not denying his talent but he will have to prove more than 1 year playing with Matthews. Kapanen is perfect for a 2 year contract at a Hyman salary to start.
Then if he maintains, we deal with what comes next.

I wonder if it might be wise to lock Kapanen up early to a team-friendly deal. That should have been done with Nylander seasons ago like the Jets did with Ehlers. Waiting just ends up costing you a larger cap hit.

Reactions: Confucius

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'd be looking at trading him for defense by now honestly.

What if Dubas is the one holding out and not offering the contract, waiting to see how Matthews and Marner perform before committing to Nylander? Matthews and Marner's performance this season will dictate our cap troubles in the future. Why commit to the third fiddle Nylander?

Reactions: Confucius

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
How do you know Kapanen will approach the situation in a similar manner? Especially if Dubas holds his ground and shows Nylander that he won't give out ridiculous deals. I mean, at this point all we can do is speculate about anything, or what info the media gives us and how accurate it is.

Who the hell knows if Kapanen keeps this up?

What if Lilly makes the team next year, and then three years later he's an RFA who dares to hold out too? What if.. what if...

Facts are we don’t know what’s on offer.

If the Leafs are weary of a cash crunch, that cash crunch will still be there next year.

The market says a 22 year old RFA who puts up those kind of points on the top line is worth 6-7m this year.

The market doesn’t care whose name is on the contract.

If Kappy equals or exceeds Nyalnder’s production... and the Leafs do well in the playoffs... they’ll have to pay.

Whether the hold out is a function of selfishness or the team playing hardball... we don’t know.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Nylander's absence gives Kappy a chance to shine, which he does in spades. Where's the problem, would you rather he sucks and therefore is cheaper come contract time?

I can't see how the Leafs wouldn't want every player to blow mgmt's mind with their performances every game. Better to have issues fitting players under the cap than have players who can't play well. This is definitely not a problem.

The cap is a thing. No one is saying he should suck. You wanna keep a team together? They have to fit under the cap, or you start having to trade off talent like the Blackhawks circa 2010.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'd be looking at trading him for defense by now honestly.

What if Dubas is the one holding out and not offering the contract, waiting to see how Matthews and Marner perform before committing to Nylander? Matthews and Marner's performance this season will dictate our cap troubles in the future. Why commit to the third fiddle Nylander?
Again all speculation but if the Leafs are firm with 6-6.3 million and Nylander is firm with 7/7.5-8, we are at an impasse. So what is the next move?

As for selling Tavares on keeping everyone, well he has never played on the team with Nylander so he sees what we have now. There are also other ways to make the team better to endure 4 rounds of the playoffs. Nylander signed or not, I still think we need a solid D upgrade. And we need to be able to afford the upgrade and support player money.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The cap is a thing. No one is saying he should suck. You wanna keep a team together? They have to fit under the cap, or you start having to trade off talent like the Blackhawks circa 2010.
You want to be as good as Chicago/Pittsburgh, then you have to take the things that also come with it.
Both those teams couldn't add an 8 million dollar Nylander (or they would have kept their own guys, Panarin/Buff/Fleury/Neal/etc.) so we just can't afford to go out of the 6 million range for 1 of the 4.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Kapanen doesn't have 2 60 point seasons under his belt currently.
I'm not denying his talent but he will have to prove more than 1 year playing with Matthews. Kapanen is perfect for a 2 year contract at a Hyman salary to start.
Then if he maintains, we deal with what comes next.

His closest comparables based on age, games played, points and RFA status would be Barkov and Drouin. 5.5-5.9M x 6 signed 2016 and 2017.

I’m assuming he puts up 60+ points this year.

Comparables Results - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

There’s always a bridge possibility.

A bridge takes you to Morgan Rielly’s UFA renegotiation so I personally don’t like the concept.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Again all speculation but if the Leafs are firm with 6-6.3 million and Nylander is firm with 7/7.5-8, we are at an impasse. So what is the next move?

As for selling Tavares on keeping everyone, well he has never played on the team with Nylander so he sees what we have now. There are also other ways to make the team better to endure 4 rounds of the playoffs. Nylander signed or not, I still think we need a solid D upgrade. And we need to be able to afford the upgrade and support player money.
Also our RW is loaded with NHL depth. Marner, Kapanen, Hyman (plays LW but is RH), Leivo (same as Hyman), Brown... Wing obviously isn't as important as D. We'd be trading from a position of power.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I get what your saying, my take is I'd rather have players overachieving and have Cap issues which might mean moving great players for other assets instead of having players not lighting it up and being able to afford them. If their great your return if traded will be high. Why would a team want to keep players who under achieve however affordable they are?

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Guys, @Pookie is right. Kapanen might be playing himself off this team as we speak. If he hits 60, I don't see any way he's signing for cheap. We might be able to delay the inevitable by signing him to a bridge for 3.5-4M AAV but he's not going to be here long term IMO. I'd assume he would back himself to perform on another team that gives him minutes.

It's not all that bad. Good teams consistently lose players. If I had an option, I'd keep Nylander over Kapanen. Unless Marleau is somehow traded (he's got an NMC), we likely won't have both Kapanen and Nylander next year on a long term deal, only one.

Reactions: Pookie

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Guys, @Pookie is right. Kapanen might be playing himself off this team as we speak. If he hits 60, I don't see any way he's signing for cheap. We might be able to delay the inevitable by signing him to a bridge for 3.5-4M AAV but he's not going to be here long term IMO. I'd assume he would back himself to perform on another team that gives him minutes.

It's not all that bad. Good teams consistently lose players. If I had an option, I'd keep Nylander over Kapanen. Unless Marleau is somehow traded (he's got an NMC), we likely won't have both Kapanen and Nylander next year on a long term deal, only one.
I'd say it's a nice problem to have, nothing to see here.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Sadly the Kapanen thing is completely separate. He's not a winger that can also play center. His ceiling is probably not going to be like Nylander's. He might be on pace for a good point total this season, but a lot of players get on a line with a great player. That doesn't mean they all get big money. The other thing separate from Kapanen is that Nylander is pricing himself off the team.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Yep , it's been reported that the Leafs see Nylander between Ehlers ($6m) and Pastrnak ($6.7m) and won't budge from that range. Nylanders camp feels he is closer to Draisaitl ($8.5m)

Per Game
PlayerTmPosFromToGAPTSSS%
Leon DraisaitlEDMC201420190.30.50.8213.8
Nikolaj EhlersWPGRW/LW201520190.30.40.72.511.3
William NylanderTORC201520180.30.50.72.311.1
David PastrnakBOSRW201420190.40.40.82.813.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

IMO the Draisaitl contract is an absolutely horrible contract, IMO it's an outlier, something that is not even to the most biased person a decent comparable to his peers. Kudos to his agent.

IMO the Ehlers to Pastrnak range is fair, marginally better than Ehlers but marginally not as good as Pastrnak.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Good lord now we have to hear how we'll lose Kapanen? Will they Leafs have any players returning next season?
Seriously, this is getting ridiculous.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

The next move is sign Willie once he caves before puck drop next year.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Can you provide a source for this? I've never heard him say any of these things.
It just seems so backwards to me. If Willy earns $8M per year, he'll right now be paid more than he's worth on a team where impact per dollar is very important, but he would still be possible to move. If he would have a $6M contract, he would be among the last players the team would look at to move for cap purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad