• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Where was it in the Boston series?

Marleau - Matthews - Kapenan, this line has a much better chance against Boston the next time. Boston defence has trouble with speed.

Who scored a big goal in game 7 in that series? Looked like the winning goal.

But later guess who gave up the puck near the blueline on a soft play.

If Nylander does return, he has to earn his spot.
A 22 year old with back to back 61 point seasons has done more than just earned his spot. I feel like I must be dreaming. Do people really forget just how good Matthews and Nylander were? It must be a joke at this point.

Only short sighted individuals want to erase 2 years of chemistry due to one mediocre playoff series.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
are you going to laugh at Kap's punk ass face or AM's or Marners next year when there the one's holding out ?
NO! I dont believe Marner will hold out because he's a local kid. Auston will get the money hes worth (likely a shit ton) and I hope Kap is good enough to even consider holding out.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Kappy gelling with Matts is making it harder and harder to settle with this guy. I honestly don’t think he wants to play here anymore to be honest. Not for a reasonable price Anyways

Reactions: rumman

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
NO! I dont believe Marner will hold out because he's a local kid. Auston will get the money hes worth (likely a **** ton) and I hope Kap is good enough to even consider holding out.
so you think

-Marner will accept a discount just because he's from the area
-they won't f*** around with Mathews and pay him the 12m plus he'll want over the 5yrs they speculated as term
-they'll f*** with Kappy if he puts up a good yr and wants fair market value

i just want to make sure i got this straight

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Kappy gelling with Matts is making it harder and harder to settle with this guy. I honestly don’t think he wants to play here anymore to be honest. Not for a reasonable price Anyways
i'm sure he'd be signed by now if the team was offering a reasonable price

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
so you think

-Marner will accept a discount just because he's from the area
-they won't **** around with Mathews and pay him the 12m plus he'll want over the 5yrs they speculated as term
-they'll **** with Kappy if he puts up a good yr and wants fair market value

i just want to make sure i got this straight
Of course it's "so I think." I literally wrote "I believe" at the beginning of it.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
A 22 year old with back to back 61 point seasons has done more than just earned his spot. I feel like I must be dreaming. Do people really forget just how good Matthews and Nylander were? It must be a joke at this point.

Only short sighted individuals want to erase 2 years of chemistry due to one mediocre playoff series.

Leaf fans. We have severely short memories. I, however, remember Nylander. He is a very skilled player and it would suck to lose him. I wouldnt trade him for anything less than Trouba or Parayko.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
i'm sure he'd be signed by now if the team was offering a reasonable price

I know I’m talking to a wall re: Dubas but:

Dubas has been mentioning comparables forever now. There are clear comparables to Nylander. It makes complete sense however that the Leafs are using these comparables (winger-wise) and Nylanders camp is looking at him being a future centre/him playing with Matthews and Tavares and putting up stupid numbers.

Personally I believe that Wills camp wants to get as much money as possible banking on his future output with the team which is very fair but the cap outlook doesn’t fit him in with that mentality considering he’s our fourth best forward (though one could argue Kadri in that position)

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Leaf fans. We have severely short memories. I, however, remember Nylander. He is a very skilled player and it would suck to lose him. I wouldnt trade him for anything less than Trouba or Parayko.
Nylander may be the guy who the Leafs cannot afford.

If they cannot keep everybody, they have to fit people under cap.

I read here they will get rid of Gardiner because of the cap. Why not get rid of Nylander because of the cap.

Reactions: New Liskeard

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Reasonable is a relative term. Is it based on actual comparables or is it based on what Matthews and Marner will likely sign for?
or the he isn't signing because the team's reasonable offer in there opinion is below market value

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I still want Nylander. I want a bonifide 1st line that is bonkers.

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - Lindholm - Leivo

That 1st line would go up against the best lines in the league. You guys are understating how good Nylander is. Imagine what him and Matthews could do now that Matthews has hit his next level.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

I'm a little shocked at the short memories to be honest. Kappy and Matthews are showing great chemistry. No one is discounting that.

But to say Nylander and Matthews had "a little chemistry." Were we watching the same team? Like they didn't have Sedin chemistry, but hey there was more than a handful of times they had Sedin-like magic.

It seems there's a lot of what have you done for me lately? going on here in some cases. Again I'm not going to discount Kappy's start, but if you can get randy about his sample size, then you can't be all over Nylander's playoff which was also a small sample size. It would be hypocritical to base Willy's career as a negative off that series and its sample size, while annointing Kappy the saviour off his sample size (I am not discounting what he's done so far, I love it and want to see more!)

The what have you done for me lately? syndrome is rearing its head here.

What have you done for me lately Willy? Bad series and holding out? Screw anything that came before that, you greedy punk soft Euro trash baby little girl named melander who "only" put up 60 points (I love how now that we also have a taste of success, we are scoffing at 60 points like its some pedestrian total).

I can be disappointed in Willy's camp (which I really am) but doesn't mean I need to act unreasonable and be all high and mighty about it while insulting the dude.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I know I’m talking to a wall re: Dubas but:

Dubas has been mentioning comparables forever now. There are clear comparables to Nylander. It makes complete sense however that the Leafs are using these comparables (winger-wise) and Nylanders camp is looking at him being a future centre/him playing with Matthews and Tavares and putting up stupid numbers.

Personally I believe that Wills camp wants to get as much money as possible banking on his future output with the team which is very fair but the cap outlook doesn’t fit him in with that mentality considering he’s our fourth best forward (though one could argue Kadri in that position)
you're talking to a wall , lol

-Dubas talked about the players buying in and making it "fit"
-Shanny talked about taking a discount
-Babs talked about taking less

which leaves me wondering why you ignore everything and instead try to spin some narrative that the team is offering a fair deal even though they've said many times in may different ways they want the players to give discounts

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar

Excuses.

Excuses.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Jones trade is the best comparable, if other teams view Willy as a center solution. And even that required a top end d-man being stuck behind two of the better d-men in the league for it to happen. Those circumstances are not there. As for Johnsson, Shattenkirk was a big part of that trade. I don't know if that's a very good example for what we want to look at here.

Will agree on the Shattenkirk bit, forgot about that.

Don't agree on those circumstances not being there anymore. Carolina has 3 top pair calibre D in Slavin, Hamilton and Pesce. They also have Faulk and De Haan on top of that. Pretty stacked D.

They do need quality up front, as aside from Aho, and maybe Teravainen, they don't really have elite forwards.

I personally don't think Staals production is gonna last.

I disagree with you on availability too. Once you reach this combination of talent, youth and value, teams are hesitant to make moves unless they are for an absolute need. Columbus won't send Werenski our way just because Willy is available. Same with Provorov. They are simply way too important to their teams, at more important positions.

If we want to get the trade done, it would have to be for someone like Pesce. An older but lesser talent. That's not exactly a recipe for a good trade.

Edit: I really need to start proof reading before I post.

I mean its a given that the trade would be for a need. Otherwise why make a trade? I guess that was more meant to mean if certain trade chips were off the table for other players, Nylander would bring those players to the trade table.

Pesce and Nylander are just 1.5 years apart. So I wouldn't call Pesce and "older" player. They are at similar points in their careers. I also wouldn't call Pesce a lesser player. He's a top pair calibre D at age 23/24. Similar to Willy who is a top 6 player at age 22. Plus defensemen take longer to develop.

Reactions: Lauro

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Where was it in the Boston series?

Marleau - Matthews - Kapenan, this line has a much better chance against Boston the next time. Boston defence has trouble with speed.

Who scored a big goal in game 7 in that series? Looked like the winning goal.

But later guess who gave up the puck near the blueline on a soft play.

If Nylander does return, he has to earn his spot.

7 games also doesn’t erase the last two seasons nor will it define Matthews or Nylander’s careers.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Will agree on the Shattenkirk bit, forgot about that.

Don't agree on those circumstances not being there anymore. Carolina has 3 top pair calibre D in Slavin, Hamilton and Pesce. They also have Faulk and De Haan on top of that. Pretty stacked D.

They do need quality up front, as aside from Aho, and maybe Teravainen, they don't really have elite forwards.

I personally don't think Staals production is gonna last.

I mean its a given that the trade would be for a need. Otherwise why make a trade? I guess that was more meant to mean if certain trade chips were off the table for other players, Nylander would bring those players to the trade table.

Pesce and Nylander are just 1.5 years apart. So I wouldn't call Pesce and "older" player. They are at similar points in their careers. I also wouldn't call Pesce a lesser player. He's a top pair calibre D at age 23/24. Similar to Willy who is a top 6 player at age 22.

I wouldnt call Pesce top pairing quality - he’s not a good enough puck mover or offensive generator to earn that label. He’s a really good second pairing guy (like a #3).

He would help the Leafs D for sure, but I think a reasonable case would be Nylander should be able to get a better asset in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad