William Nylander Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I feel feel I am opening up to a trade more and more each game.

dude in the playoffs we can run three lines that play around 20 mins each (screw the 4th line)

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Brown/Johnsson-Kadri-Nylander

just keep throwing these three lines out one after another; and create headaches for the opposition.

Reactions: Eb

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
dude in the playoffs we can run three lines that play around 20 mins each (screw the 4th line)

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Brown/Johnsson-Kadri-Nylander

just keep throwing these three lines out one after another; and create headaches for the opposition.

You're not wrong, I just imagine a top end young D out there with Reilly for 30 mins a game, that would be a big impact on our overall play.

Doesn't seem like anyone is really available, though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Your allowed to put one of them on the LW or alternatively get somebody on the Kadri line to try to sort that out and have 3 dangerous lines like Pittsburgh did with Kessel

I think only Marner is capable of driving a line as far as our wingers go.

Kappy in the AHL wasn't as effective on LW. Marner is never going to LW. That leaves Nylander...so...maybe? Sure.

Would have liked to see Johnsson get a shot.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Because then it’s not obvious it’s tongue and cheek

And when you make a thread title a subjective opinion it suggests that’s the popular opinion.

Which it isn’t. Which is why it was removed.

does not have to be tongue and cheek, what he said is absolute fact

we don't "need " him

Reactions: dsred

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You're not wrong, I just imagine a top end young D out there with Reilly for 30 mins a game, that would be a big impact on our overall play.

Doesn't seem like anyone is really available, though.

Top young d will need paying too.

Don’t read too much into defense yet; still early in the season. Teams get tight defensively around late nov to dec.

If we still see defensive breakdowns in late Jan or early feb then time to panic lol

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
It’s such a strange situation. He doesn’t fit on pp1. Pp1 is almost unstoppable. So to have him a 7 million running pp2 is pretty stupid. Having him playing 15 minutes on line 3 and doing great zone entry and then circling the net trying to find Leivo or Naz, it’s a total waste. Hopefully he is back for extra cheap but for his sake I almost hope he gets traded. A capable D at an excellent cap hit would work for me

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Any personal attacks are inappropriate, and really have nothing to do with the current situation.

That being said, I think it's reasonable to question his relative value to the team because we have the offensive depth to compensate for his absence, and there is a glaring need to upgrade the blueline. It's no slag on him as a player. He would be a top 6 forward on any team in the league.

The most fair way I can describe Nylander's situation is his importance to the rebuild has been in decline since the playoffs last year when he played a soft game head to head against a comparable talent, contract and young sniper in David Pastrnak who thrived head to head.

I'd acknowledge that plans are always changing, and the dream of the Big Three suddenly looks like Matthews, Marner, Tavares. Nylander is sort of surplus and a bit of a luxury. I'd also acknowledge that trading him for an appropriate return would alleviate our depth chart issues, redistribute our cap to other positions and wouldn't take away from the ridiculous strength we currently possess.

That said, I still am a huge fan and would like to see Nylander sign a "dynasty friendly" contract under his asking price, because the long term health of the Leafs and the "band" is more important than just having Nylander here. I just don't see any villains in the whole process. If there isn't a magic number that makes both sides happy, the Leafs will have to move on.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Top young d will need paying too.

Don’t read too much into defense yet; still early in the season. Teams get tight defensively around late nov to dec.

If we still see defensive breakdowns in late Jan or early feb then time to panic lol

I am in the "it's not so bad boat", and also the "Willy should be a Leaf boat", but there is no denying that Ron Hainsey just does not cut it on the top pairing of a cup contender. If we want to be that, I think we need to knock our whole right side down a peg.

Reactions: dsred

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think only Marner is capable of driving a line as far as our wingers go.

Kappy in the AHL wasn't as effective on LW. Marner is never going to LW. That leaves Nylander...so...maybe? Sure.

Would have liked to see Johnsson get a shot.

Me to but Johnnson has been pretty **** so far this season, maybe playing so long last season has affected his start this year?

Matthews Kapanen
Tavares Marner
Kadri Nylander

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I am in the "it's not so bad boat", and also the "Willy should be a Leaf boat", but there is no denying that Ron Hainsey just does not cut it on the top pairing of a cup contender. If we want to be that, I think we need to knock our whole right side down a peg.

Hainsey was a top 2 d-man on the Pens when they won the cup. Team defense takes precedence over just one good d-man.

Leafs defensive structure and breakouts need to be better. If you wanna blame someone then blame DJ Smith

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
THe more games we play, the more comfortable I am with trading Nylander if we could get a defenseman of his calibre back. We don't need more offense, we need a reliable top 4 dman.

But in the back of my mind, I look at the Hall for Larsson trade and think it's a huge risk that could fail.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don't think they're aiming for 8. I think they are aiming for 7, and think playing hardball is the way to get there.

I think that's something everybody would consider. Stud d-men don't become available as a general rule though. There's been one in the last half decade, two depending on how you view Hamilton.

A Willy trade should be done because it's right, as you allude to here. It shouldn't be done at a loss to address a need that could be better fixed in another way. It also shouldn't be done because the team had an offensively hot four games to start the season.

seth jones

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Whenever Nylander does sign with us, I think he'd be better off with Kadri.

Kadri’s line all last year was a black whole until Marner joined them. The times Nylander played with Kadri and Marleau little happened. Nylander needs to play with a strong 2 way possession center

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Me to but Johnnson has been pretty **** so far this season, maybe playing so long last season has affected his start this year?

Matthews Kapanen
Tavares Marner
Kadri Nylander

I don't think Kadri and Nylander really clicked, in fact I don't think Nylander clicked with any centre last year except Matthews.

I am thinking that Lindholm is just too big of an offensive blackhole and Johnsson hasn't played with any other centre in training camp. Might be one of those things like waking up and finally taking Ennis off Matthews' wing for Kapanen. Johnsson could go with Kadri and instant upgrade.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
THe more games we play, the more comfortable I am with trading Nylander if we could get a defenseman of his calibre back. We don't need more offense, we need a reliable top 4 dman.

But in the back of my mind, I look at the Hall for Larsson trade and think it's a huge risk that could fail.

melander is no Hall, don't every kid yourself

willi does not have it in him to tilt a trade like hall did.

Reactions: rumman

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I get that, but he does have high end skill where it could end up being a bad trade if he breaks out

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I feel like Nylander could handily put up Seguin type numbers for his prime years if he were one of the top 1-2 options on a team: could be on a top heavy offensive team that wins nothing like Seguin, but still. The guy won a World Championship MVP at 20. He's going to be special, we just have even more special players clouding your judgement.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I get that, but he does have high end skill where it could end up being a bad trade if he breaks out

please every "trade" has a chance to be "bad"

"if he breaks out",, pfft,,, with whom???

he could only manage 20 goals and 60 points riding shot gun to matty

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't think Kadri and Nylander really clicked, in fact I don't think Nylander clicked with any centre last year except Matthews.

I am thinking that Lindholm is just too big of an offensive blackhole and Johnsson hasn't played with any other centre in training camp. Might be one of those things like waking up and finally taking Ennis off Matthews' wing for Kapanen. Johnsson could go with Kadri and instant upgrade.

I don't think Kadri Nylander would be an issue if we spread the shutdown minutes and the top 3 lines get more even QOC and ZS

If you have Nylander Kadri on a line you don't really need another skill guy, just a Hyman, Kapanen type worker to forecheck and grind on the boards with some speed, Johnnson if he's in form or Lindholm for some defensive punch perhaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad