William Nylander Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I feel like Nylander could handily put up Seguin type numbers for his prime years if he were one of the top 1-2 options on a team: could be on a top heavy offensive team that wins nothing like Seguin, but still. The guy won a World Championship MVP at 20. He's going to be special, we just have even more special players clouding your judgement.

please "the world championships"????

have you really paid attention to that tourney?

many of those teams don't even have a rosters that challenges the nhls 31rst team.

some could win the cup and some are just solid nhl teams.

super feasting on gimp teams does not impress me much

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
It’s kind of funny because this looks like one of the all time worst hold outs developing. Matthews now scoring at unprecedented levels.
Feel bad for Nylander as his agent is obviously a tool and his dad needs to take a backseat. There is no leverage at this point and it’s pretty sad that an excellent player like Willy might end up sitting for a year

Reactions: dsred

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
What is Nylanders subsequent years cap hit if we sign him to a 7.5M cap hit for 8 years on December 1.

Can we do this with Marner too? LOL.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I really hope Nylander signs soon, but if it's still something that can't be worked out I think he should be moved for a defenseman. We need to get rid of the distraction, and we need our full team to build as much chemistry as possible

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think Kadri Nylander would be an issue if we spread the shutdown minutes and the top 3 lines get more even QOC and ZS

If you have Nylander Kadri on a line you don't really need another skill guy, just a Hyman, Kapanen type worker to forecheck and grind on the boards with some speed, Johnnson if he's in form or Lindholm for some defensive punch perhaps

We'll have to see how it works out. Lindholm was moved to wing tonight, look a bit better which means for yet another season 4C looks to be a problem for us. Might make sense to grab a guy like Nick Shore, put him on an AHL deal, get 10 games in and maybe join the big club.

Engvall might find his way up by the end of the year too.

Have you seen a ton of Pesce? Solid RHD defenceman on a sweetheart 4 million dollar deal.

Oh I love Pesce. He's everything we'd want except he's not worth Nylander IMO. Doesn't put up points at the other end to justify the return. Obviously we don't need him to score because we can score anyway but if you do that deal 1 for 1, then we lose that deal.

Carolina would need to add something. McKeown is someone that has made some good strides the last few years, might be of interest. Ferland is UFA unfortunately but he's also interesting.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I really hope Nylander signs soon, but if it's still something that can't be worked out I think he should be moved for a defenseman. We need to get rid of the distraction, and we need our full team to build as much chemistry as possible

that is where i am at.
if he's not budging, say thanks for your service, and move him along.

Reactions: rumman

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We'll have to see how it works out. Lindholm was moved to wing tonight, look a bit better which means for yet another season 4C looks to be a problem for us. Might make sense to grab a guy like Nick Shore, put him on an AHL deal, get 10 games in and maybe join the big club.

Engvall might find his way up by the end of the year too.

Oh I love Pesce. He's everything we'd want except he's not worth Nylander IMO. Doesn't put up points at the other end to justify the return. Obviously we don't need him to score because we can score anyway but if you do that deal 1 for 1, then we lose that deal.

Carolina would need to add something. McKeown is someone that has made some good strides the last few years, might be of interest. Ferland is UFA unfortunately but he's also interesting.

Just use Gauthier and Lindholm for the regular season and when the playoffs roll around don't dress a 4th line center

Just roll Matthews, Tavares and Kadri with the 4th line wingers

Reactions: dsred

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
that is where i am at.
if he's not budging, say thanks for your service, and move him along.

He needs to be under contract one way or another before he's moved

If you move him and somebody else gives him what he wants what exactly do you expect the next batch of RFA's to do? Give in and sign for what we want or dig in to get their ask?

Reactions: Eb

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Just use Gauthier and Lindholm for the regular season and when the playoffs roll around don't dress a 4th line center

Just roll Matthews, Tavares and Kadri with the 4th line wingers

Seems like a bad idea.

Jvr just got hurt. Can we send him to philly for o e of their defenders plus Carter hart??

Only defenseman I would trade Nylander for that they have is Provorov.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
please "the world championships"????

have you really paid attention to that tourney?

many of those teams don't even have a rosters that challenges the nhls 31rst team.

some could win the cup and some are just solid nhl teams.

super feasting on gimp teams does not impress me much

He feasted on a "gimp" Canadian team that included Mitch Marner...

The guy is still a Leaf last time I checked, but can't tell if the mob wants a hometown discount or just a new hometown for Nylander at this point.

ZA5_6192.jpg

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
seriously this is only making me more excited, cause we can spread even more offense onto the bottom 6 when nylander is back

Reactions: Eb

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Nylander's agent done goofed
Yes. Not only put his client in a position he can't win, he's now losing money and his spot in the lineup has gone from "absolute lock" to "there's an alternative that is building tremendous chemistry in his spot."

It's dangerous to put your trust in the wrong places. Bad advice can be a killer.

Edit: Now I made it sound like he is getting stabbed. I don't think Dubas is going to go that far.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Why exactly is that? All three of those guys can easily play 20 minutes a night

They are capable for sure but it would be good to get some utility on your 4th line, if you could land a 4C that is good at penalty killing and faceoffs, that is a valuable addition to this team. Face offs are so-so on this team right now. Plus there is also the dreaded injury factor, you want to be able to put someone in the line up too.

Nick Shore is just one name that comes to mind but we'll see what else comes up. I don't think they want to run the team that way either, Babcock did push each trade deadline to bolster our centre position, if Lindholm/Gauthier aren't at least holding their own, it's worth keeping an eye on.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Still where I've been for a while on this. Just have to wait until Nylander caves and signs a contract. There's no room for the Leafs to cave in any respect.

If the plan remains and he stays long term you really can't cave on this deal. But even if you explore options in the future, still need to set the tone. And he's more valuable on a sweet contract than whatever he's currently trying to get.

Gets done whenever it gets done. Just have to wait for Nylander to step up and tell everyone around him that he's taking the contract the Leafs are currently offering.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
They are capable for sure but it would be good to get some utility on your 4th line, if you could land a 4C that is good at penalty killing and faceoffs, that is a valuable addition to this team. Face offs are so-so on this team right now. Plus there is also the dreaded injury factor, you want to be able to put someone in the line up too.

Nick Shore is just one name that comes to mind but we'll see what else comes up. I don't think they want to run the team that way either, Babcock did push each trade deadline to bolster our centre position, if Lindholm/Gauthier aren't at least holding their own, it's worth keeping an eye on.

How many PK guys do you need? Brown, Hyman, Kapanen, Tavares, Marner and all 3 of our centers can win draws, injuries happen but even if one of the 3 goes down in game you've still got 2 left and Marleau and Nylander that can do a job

Shore isn't that good, if he was had already be signed and if we trade assets for another 4th line center this year I'm going to lose my ****

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Yes. Not only put his client in a position he can't win, he's now losing money and his spot in the lineup has gone from "absolute lock" to "there's an alternative that is building tremendous chemistry in his spot."

It's dangerous to put your trust in the wrong places. Bad advice can be a killer.

Edit: Now I made it sound like he is getting stabbed. I don't think Dubas is going to go that far.

I think he should be most concerned about being deemed expendable, and being shipped off to a lesser team.

If Kapanen continues to produce on par, Nylander loses what little leverage he has left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad