Post-Game Talk: William Nylander Leads Leafs to Victory!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Me too! I got the Hockey news 2 weeks late and the globe and star on the weekends if I was lucky and got to go to "town".
Me and my sister used to keep a statistical diary of every Leafs game in the '70's. It really was the only way to stay on top. West Coast games were a nightmare and even more if the NHL changed the assists/goal after the game. Sittler's 10 point night was the dream night for a statistic nerd kid like I was then.:laugh:

Internet is way too easy. Can you imagine doing advanced stats back then?

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
"William Nylander leads Leafs to victory" is something I will gladly get used to hearing.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Me and my sister used to keep a statistical diary of every Leafs game in the '70's. It really was the only way to stay on top. West Coast games were a nightmare and even more if the NHL changed the assists/goal after the game. Sittler's 10 point night was the dream night for a statistic nerd kid like I was then.:laugh:

Internet is way to easy. Can you imagine doing advanced stats back then?

That's hilarious, I was such a maniac I'd phone the radio station in Smiths Falls for the scores around 7 am when theLeafs played in Oakland and LA the overnight guy hated my high pitched guts.:laugh:

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
That's hilarious, I was such a maniac I'd phone the radio station in Smiths Falls for the scores around 7 am when theLeafs played in Oakland and LA the overnight guy hated my high pitched guts.:laugh:
That's awesome. We never went to those lengths.:laugh:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Internet is way too easy. Can you imagine doing advanced stats back then?

I had a scrapbook that I pasted newspaper clippings of the NHL leading scorers and the Leafs' team stats. I'd cut out the NHL leading scoring stats in the early season if a Leaf managed to get into the scoring leaders' list.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I had a scrapbook that I pasted newspaper clippings of the NHL leading scorers and the Leafs' team stats. I'd cut out the NHL leading scoring stats in the early season if a Leaf managed to get into the scoring leaders' list.
The Sittler-Thompson-Macdonald line would have been there and also Norm Ullman iirc:)

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I remember my guidance counselor when I got to high school asked me about the Leafs stat keeping thought that my career path would be as an insurance company articulator which was a very high paid job at the time but I ended up being an unemployed civil engineering graduate.:laugh:

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
What a line that was, unfortunately there was never a supporting cast. Ullman is interesting I guess because he had been a support guy in Detroit a very underrated career IMO.

A gentleman I know who is a huge Leafs fan knows Ullman very well, he used to dine with him all the time, but as a diehard Leafs fan, says it was too tough for him to hear Ullman say he enjoyed his time with the Wings more than Toronto. Leaf fans, we are sick.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
A gentleman I know who is a huge Leafs fan knows Ullman very well, he used to dine with him all the time, but as a diehard Leafs fan, says it was too tough for him to hear Ullman say he enjoyed his time with the Wings more than Toronto. Leaf fans, we are sick.

Norm was class before,during and after his leaf tenure,I don't think there's any sickness.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Our defense and goaltending has been competitive lately. Maricin's looking like a top 4 guy, Gardiner's looking like a top pairing guy. Carrick is a nice addition. Rielly's pretty much playing the same he's been all season. And somehow, Bernier's found his groove again, and Sparks is looking alright too.

Add back in the offense from some of our injured players, and I'm getting pretty excited about next season.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
#tanktherightway
#thisishowyouREALLYtank
#tankwithdignity

Didn't want the W but felt good to see Willy getting on the scoreboard.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Norm was class before,during and after his leaf tenure,I don't think there's any sickness.

I don't think you understand what I wrote based on the above. Guy liked Ullman very much, he just didn't like Ullman saying good things about the other team he played for before coming to Toronto. There was nothing implied about Ullman not being a totally cool guy.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
We're still a long ways away. I know these guys are young, they all have potential, but they are a ways away from being solid top 6 players.

I think we are at LEAST 2 years away from having a bubble team. On top of that, no pieces on D outside of Rielly who can be a #1. There are ceilings like that, sure. However they aren't likely to hit them. Even if we take all D this year, they are still 3 or 4 years away from making an impact in the NHL.

This is going to be a painful process. I don't see us making the playoffs for at least 5 years.

2 words- cap space, free agency. It will be a year. Next year they make the playoffs, year after 2nd or third round.

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss
i know the most here look more @the scorerboard, but Grabner play in the last game very well.He tried a myn thinks and work hard for the team.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
"We're going to take care of that in the off season." Babcock about some of the Buffalo bullying in the 3rd.

A lot of talk about Gauthier's skating during the game but it looked fine to me.

Gauthier looked good. He will make a perfect replacement for Laich.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
i know the most here look more @the scorerboard, but Grabner play in the last game very well.He tried a myn thinks and work hard for the team.

Don't worry about your English. English is a difficult language to speak or write well, but most of us can understand your post. Welcome and keep posting!

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Marincin really impressed the last month....

Since they traded off Phaneuf, and essentially gave Marincin his ice-time, he's been very good. He was very good for Edmonton that one season when he was basically their best d-man.

He's shaping up to be a modern day defensive defenseman. Here's a page comparing him to Polak. Now, Polak logged more ice-time and had a big advantage in scoring, but Martin's defensive stats just blow Polak out of the water.

Marincin's game is one that gets highly overlooked, but with his recently increased ice-time, I think he's going to improve on his scoring.

View attachment 88689

Leafsbeast*

hear him say we will get that fixed? What fixed? Team toughness?

YUP. Kids being bullied and taken liberties with.

I guarantee Lou sees it too plus Babs would be like "Lou, I need a tough guy that can play"

Lou will find a big strapping player that can fight and play.

Welcome to the Leafs Milan Lucic.

Leafsbeast*

no thanks. Lucic is going to get close to 7 mil a year on his new deal.

So?

Lucic would be the absolute perfect fit for the Leafs. AINEC

I would give him 6.5 to 7 without even thinking about it.

That man is a force to be reckoned with and he sticks up for teammates all the time and not many guys in the NHL want to tangle with him.

Sorry son but we have a ton of cap space and at this time, will struggle just to get to the floor.

When you bring in a Lucic and a Stamkos, you also improve your team enough to make the playoffs next season.

Also offer one of the best D on the UFA list and blam, you have a playoff team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00