Player Discussion William Lagesson

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
His game reallynsettled in.
I feel like he helps Larsson. He is a stay at home shut down guy, so is Larsson. They don't have the speed to cover for their partners and because neither jumps .

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think he's going to end up as a very reliable and important 3rd pairing option for a long time. And that is a valueable resource to have.

Someone who can be cheap cap wise, while being a solid, reliable option

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Between him and Russell we have good #6/#7 Dmen.
We just need a 2nd pairing LD if Klefbom is done for good.
Jones is a wild card.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Lagesson's development at every level has been kind of slow but steady and now coming on 7 years after he was drafted he's getting his foot in the door in the NHL. Last year his game wasn't up to par and he was getting beaten regularly at the NHL level. This season he started better but a little shaky, and now with every game he looks more and more comfortable. I see that slow improvement continuing and think eventually he'll be playing a shutdown role on the second pairing and getting a healthy dose of PK minutes. As he's gained comfort at lower levels the puck movement has improved as well, and I would anticipate that with time he won't be a possession liability in that regard like Russell and Larsson. It might not be for a year or two but if Lagesson keeps doing just a little better than you expect him to he'll get there and wind up an important and reliable low event player on the back end for years to come.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Honest question because it's still a small sampling, but are we a little more okay with waiving Grosenick and Forsberg to make sure Lagesson wasn't claimed?

Apparently management is quite high on the player and has been for a while.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Bumping this thread because of Wild Bill’s solid performances of late.

Will he stick once Bear is back? Is he part of this team’s future?

I’m really curious how Tipp proceeds. Lagesson and Bouchard don’t deserve to come out. Bear might have to wait a few games until someone struggles

Honest question because it's still a small sampling, but are we a little more okay with waiving Grosenick and Forsberg to make sure Lagesson wasn't claimed?

Apparently management is quite high on the player and has been for a while.

It’s only frustrating because of how bad Koski was, but that’s hard to have predicted. It’s definitely looking like the right choice though

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Bringing in Barry for Klefbom didn’t fit in the beginning. Barry is of no value unless behind our top six. Hopefully he and Nurse continue to jell. Lagesson and Larsson seem to be working as a 2nd pair shutdown with chemistry. Hopefully Jones and Bear step back into the lineup together(at least an excellent 3rd pair). Use Bouchard as often as possible with Russell or KK and wait for the inevitable injury. I see Bouchard moving up next season with Larsson mentoring Broberg and/or Sami and Russell #8 or waived. Jones probably to Seattle and Klefbom is done

Reactions: McTonyBrar

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Will Bill is a battler

So funny seeing him make that idiot Anderson take a penalty, and then Barrie absolutely hammering the puck home.

Anderson was sick of losing every puck battle to Lagesson in the corner, Willy Lags just battles hard on every puck defensively. He’s been a huge part of why our D core has started to turn it around lately along with Bouchards play.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So funny seeing him make that idiot Anderson take a penalty, and then Barrie absolutely hammering the puck home.

Anderson was sick of losing every puck battle to Lagesson in the corner, Willy Lags just battles hard on every puck defensively. He’s been a huge part of why our D core has started to turn it around lately along with Bouchards play.

Lagesson is a tank. The Canadiens were trying to wear him down by throwing the puck in his corner and then finishing checks hard on him and he literally laughed them off and goaded the biggest and meanest one of them all into taking a stupid penalty. Love Lags.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Some Habs fans were confused by that call. Anderson punched him 3 or 4 times and then punched him 3 or 4 more times when he was on the ice. As the kids say he mad mad.

I think credit to the group a lot of guys have settled in and started playing better and created a really healthy internal competition. Lagesson "isn't a sexy player" but he's been consistently solid, still think there's a little more offense to his game too. He's shown some nice instincts to get shots and with his breakouts.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
If yer gonna play 3 offensive guys on the right you better have lefties to cover them. Willie is a keeper

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I've liked the Larssen Lagesson pairing since formed. They aren't pretty to watch unless one likes tough, physical own zone play that makes it uncomfortable for opposition forwards in the tough areas of the ice. This style of defending is critical in my opinion to winning games and amplifies in the tighter checking, grinding endurance marathon of playoff hockey. A great complement to more flashy puck moving finesse d-men, this pairing gives the team great flexibility to match up with diverse opposition including meat eater, heavy teams like Winnipeg and Montreal. Larssen is an excellent mentor and veteran presence with Lagesson. Lagesson is showing the grit, aptitude, hunger and smarts to will and Will himself into a run as an everyday defender. I love heavy character players like Larssen and Lagesson who don't grab headlines but do an honest job especially in a league that continues to grow softer in its penalty calls and style of play.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Remember how posters pounced on each other before the start of the season when someone compared Jones in the same tier as Lagesson.
All the Nurse haters seem to have gone in hibernation mode as well.

If we revisited some of the older posts there would be a lot of crow eatin happening on hfoil.

Glad Lagesson is looking decent of late. Hopefully he keeps it going and does not fizzle out like many before him.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I didn't even look at his numbers in the AHL. He was a plus player and pretty much all of his points came at ES as he barely played the PP. Surprised by him. Somebody I honestly paid zero attention to.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Lagesson's primary weakness was his acceleration (it still is). He was an excellent two-way D on the top-pair on the Condors. When Matt Benning played a few games down there... he was complete ass compared to Lagesson and Samorukov. Benning's skating is no better and even he struggled physically against AHLers.

Reactions: nabob

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We need more of Jones so that posters can continue bringing up Larsson doing the starfish or how he misplayed a 2 on 1 when his D partner Jones is nowhere to be found.

Reactions: MessierII

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Some Habs fans were confused by that call. Anderson punched him 3 or 4 times and then punched him 3 or 4 more times when he was on the ice. As the kids say he mad mad.

I think credit to the group a lot of guys have settled in and started playing better and created a really healthy internal competition. Lagesson "isn't a sexy player" but he's been consistently solid, still think there's a little more offense to his game too. He's shown some nice instincts to get shots and with his breakouts.

Anderson just DDTed him and Habs fans were surprised?

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lagesson deserves huge kudos to being solid in the lineup, balling up to the physical play in the NHL and even choosing to be an in the battle type D. Not at all passive.

last night him intially taking abuse from Josh Anderson not only gave us a PP, which was precious, and put the game out of reach, it kept the Habs top scorer off the ice in a critical juncture.

This was textbook taking one for the team. Wisdom beyond years displayed. he reminds me of a younger Petry here. Without the offensive side. But still a very good defending option.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I commented on the same in GDT. lol at Anderson taking the 4mins. Cost his team any chance of getting back in the game. What leadership!

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad