Player Discussion William Lagesson

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Based on how well Lagesson did last season defensively in Bakersfield... I can see what they'd want to bring him up as an option for the Oilers.

He doesn't have a lot of offense in his game, but will add solid defensive ability to the roster when he's put in there.

He has some offense too. It's always a bit surprising but he has it as well. In that way he reminds me a bit of when we had Andy Sutton. Great shutdown guy and then out of the blue pulls off a sweet move.

I really hope Laggesson gets a good long stretch of games where he plays in the nhl. I don't see a ton of top 4 upside but at the same time I see a guy that barring a rough transition to the nhl " should" eventually become a solid bottom pairing defender.

Timeline and skill set I see him as a potential Russell replacement.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
After Manning held his own and scored against the Flyers?? Nah.

He was fine...even scored a goal.

This isnt about not liking Manning...its about wanting to see what Lagesson has. The reality is that a player like Lagesson is much more valuable to this team than Manning is.
Manning is expendable.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Someone mention poor mans (peak)Larsson, and Larsson is out with injury. Well, the logical choice is then Lagesson. There are plenty of offensive D-men, and while Bear is a decent defenseman, Nurse is still dumb on defense. Lagesson is needed. Ok, he will not be the rookie of the year, not even in Oilers. But I do think he will make Oilerfans happy, get some Davidsson while good-vibes back. He looks really fit anyway.

I want
Klefbom - Lagesson
Nurse - Bear (Soon to say Bear carries Nurse and good, it means Nurse contract will be cheaper)
Russel - Benning

So much injurys. But thats how this games goes.
The most prefered lineup for me is

Klefbom - Persson
Nurse - Bear
Lagesson - Larsson
Benning/Russel
Maybe actually have 8 defenseman rooster. To bad to send Bear down, when he actually starting to write his own script.

Russel can jump in when some of the rookies show fatigue and keeping a good standard. No more ice-swimming.
Intressting what will happen when Bouchardis ready, then there will be actually impossible to make the lines. And even Jones, even if he feels more unready than last year. But something like

Klefbom - Bouchard
Nurse - Bear
Lagesson - Larsson ultra shutdown.
Persson

Thats deep. That means at least two D-men WILL be traded.
Benning must feel the breath in the neck. But he is a good and tough stopgap while waiting out the developement.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Made his NHL debut, playing eight games this year . Did he do enough to be re-signed and what is his long-range potential?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Made his NHL debut, playing eight games this year . Did he do enough to be re-signed and what is his long-range potential?
I thought he looked way too slow to be anything more than an AHLer. Didn't make good reads with the puck either. Yes he's a rookie, but 24 years old.

He looked bad, at least IMO. Not that any of us had higher hopes for him than MAYBE a 3rd pairing guy who could play 10 mins a night. If Lagesson is a regular in your NHL lineup, you have serious problems.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I thought he was pretty serviceable as a 3rd pairing defenceman, to be honest. I'd definitely keep him around.

I don't think it's a stretch to say he can do pretty much everything Kris Russell can do at a fraction of the price.

7D will be him or Lennstrom, IMO.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

He looked ok. Not bad not good. For a debut more good than bad

His long range potential is a cheap 5 through 8 defender. Outside chance he becomes a top 4. 8 games limited minutes not enough sample size.

I thought he was better than Green but not as good as Benning or Russell.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
With Klef, Nurse, Jones and Russell ahead of him on the left side, it's looking like his roster spot will depend on if Russell ends up somewhere else.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I liked what I saw for the most part. He'll be a good 3rd pairing who can sparingly fill in for injuries on the 2nd pairing.

Just a quiet steady defenseman that you tend to not notice (in a good way)

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If they can move Russell I’d keep him around as a #7. I’m not sure he has much potential. I didn’t love his game honestly.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
His shutdown game was very impressive in the WJC several years ago, the big question was if the skating could keep up at the NHL level because the smarts, strength, and competitiveness were there. I think he's looking like a very solid bottom pair shutdown D who competes, wins pucks, and makes smart plays in his own zone. I see him as the 3LD on this team for a while if you build the RD as puck movers in Bouchard, Bear, Barrie (potentially beyond this year if he's into a 5-5.5M extension). He'll have some competition though with Nurse a regular, Broberg likely to fill a top 4 role eventually, and a mix of Samorukov/Jones knocking on the door. Not a bad problem to have.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
His shutdown game was very impressive in the WJC several years ago, the big question was if the skating could keep up at the NHL level because the smarts, strength, and competitiveness were there. I think he's looking like a very solid bottom pair shutdown D who competes, wins pucks, and makes smart plays in his own zone. I see him as the 3LD on this team for a while if you build the RD as puck movers in Bouchard, Bear, Barrie (potentially beyond this year if he's into a 5-5.5M extension). He'll have some competition though with Nurse a regular, Broberg likely to fill a top 4 role eventually, and a mix of Samorukov/Jones knocking on the door. Not a bad problem to have.

Obviously Holland saw something in him and signed him up for cheap next season too.

This was a heads up move for Holland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad