Speculation: Will your team sign Dougie Hamilton in the offseason?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He is likely going to go for a premium, one of the better goal scoring defenders in the league.

Probably a 8.5 x 7 deal.

It is also to be noted that he will only be 28 at the time he becomes UFA.
Who is going to have cap space to add $8 mill to their roster?

Reactions: Devonator

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Who is going to have cap space to add $8 mill to their roster?
Devs.
Hamilton fits our timeline and we need both a top lefty and righty on the blueline, he solves half of that.
We have Zajac's $5.75 coming off this year. Also Palmieri $4.6 and Gusev $4.5, I think 1 if not both resign. Palms gets a bump, Gusev maybe a bit. The following year PK's $9M comes off. I think they move Butchers $3.7 x3

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Devs.
Hamilton fits our timeline and we need both a top lefty and righty on the blueline, he solves half of that.
We have Zajac's $5.75 coming off this year. Also Palmieri $4.6 and Gusev $4.5, I think 1 if not both resign. Palms gets a bump, Gusev maybe a bit. The following year PK's $9M comes off. I think they move Butchers $3.7 x3
Not sure that there will be a team that is of equal calibre to Carolina right now who has $8 mill in cap space to spend in free agency. But, there are teams that do have the cap space to afford that amount. Just a matter of what he's going to priortize in the summer.

He's not an elite guy where you think, many this guy did or didn't win a Cup.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyers would need to have JVR taken in ED or traded in order to have cap space. But he would fit in perfectly.

Provy Hamilton
Sanheim Myers
Ghost Braun

...with York and Zamula to take over the 3rd pair when ready.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Unless fans are back and revenue increases for the NHL teams will really be feeling the loss of revenue and large contracts will not be business as usual. I am surprised how many teams still spent up to near some artificial cap but I can see next year the reality kicks in and teams look to shed and not add. Hamilton is a good D man but not a game changer and his ask will be just to much for teams to go in on.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
NJ says no thank you he is not an elite dman any team that gives him 8 plus will regret it....If he played an all around game and used his SIZE which he doesn't he would deserve top money....Pass

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I was hoping the Oilers would go hard after him . Not so sure now as it seems Nurse has real stepped his game up . If he continues it I see it less likely Holland gets into a bidding war

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They will try but probably don't get it done. But Dubas likes making 1 big move per off season so I suspect he will try

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
NJ says no thank you he is not an elite dman any team that gives him 8 plus will regret it....If he played an all around game and used his SIZE which he doesn't he would deserve top money....Pass
Going to be a while before we see any d man like him available. His corsi/fenwick and pts the last couple of yrs are very good. You're right about using his size and being nastier, but we need his reach more than his s#!++y. I know what you are saying but the current is not cutting it and a look down the road is good not top shelf.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Despite his point totals this year Hamboy hasn't been as good as the last couple seasons. Not sure what's up but not an ideal time for him to have a down season.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Going to be a while before we see any d man like him available. His corsi/fenwick and pts the last couple of yrs are very good. You're right about using his size and being nastier, but we need his reach more than his s#!++y. I know what you are saying but the current is not cutting it and a look down the road is good not top shelf.
Agree most of our prospects are LHD and Hamilton does produce but at same point do not want to get stuck with that salary and before this team is really ready to push for playoff success he will be on the wrong side of thirty....There also is an unknown factor with him that he is on his third team already....If he was at 5 to 6 per much different but you want 8 plus imo a pass.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
NYR can't spend the money here. Too many right side options. We're out of any race.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Elite is a very subjective term. Is he capable of being an elite D? Yes, his play last season proved that.

Is he capable of maintaining an elite level of play long term?-Eh...not looking so good so far this season.

Even taking his current, disappointing so far season into account, he’s got 11pts in 17gms. He’s still playing top pairing minutes. He’s still a top pair RD, those guys are always going to get paid. I hope he sticks around in CAR, but as I’ve said earlier in this thread, I’m starting to have doubts he does stay.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i suspect he (and others UFA next off-season) will be frustrated by how much less $$ are available
some team could offer ~ 4x$4M, he and agent will think that is unfairly low,
but there may not be many offers of more
it's not just about his supposed market value, but maybe even more about hard decisions teams face with flat Cap
BUT it only takes one ...

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If he hits the market, I do genuinely think Ottawa would make a serious push.

We'd have 33mil on a 14 man roster with only Tkachuk, Batherson and Zub as significant expiring deals... guessing that will cost at most 12-14mil, and probably closer to 10.

Most importantly, Hamilton would shore up our D for a long time... by the end of next year:

Chabot - Zaitsev
Sanderson - Hamilton
Brannstrom - Zub
J. Brown/JBD/Thomson/maybe Gudbranson/maybe Reilly

Zaitsev is a little over his head on the top pair, and Sanderson may still be a little over his head as a 2LD, but adding an elite RD would really solidify our future.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I can see Seattle throwing a whole bunch of money at him.
Good way to get started. With a top end right shot dman..... even if they have to overpay a bit.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
i suspect he (and others UFA next off-season) will be frustrated by how much less $$ are available
some team could offer ~ 4x$4M, he and agent will think that is unfairly low,
but there may not be many offers of more
it's not just about his supposed market value, but maybe even more about hard decisions teams face with flat Cap
BUT it only takes one ...

You realize TJ Brodie just got 4x$5M, right? Brodin got 7x$6M. Krug got 7x$6.5!

Now, those are all deals I would happily give those DMen. They are far from anchors and may even all be closer to steals than anchors... I think you'd struggle to find many teams who wouldnt move money around to try to add those guys on those deals.

Why would Hamilton get less than those guys? Hamilton has been between 7th-14th in Norris voting four years in a row, none of those guys have ever finished top 15.

Reactions: DaveG

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Agree most of our prospects are LHD and Hamilton does produce but at same point do not want to get stuck with that salary and before this team is really ready to push for playoff success he will be on the wrong side of thirty....There also is an unknown factor with him that he is on his third team already....If he was at 5 to 6 per much different but you want 8 plus imo a pass.
I would argue that its because of a lack of these guys we cant push for playoffs. I hardly care that he wants to go to museums, heck I want Hanifin too!

And its not the fairest comparison and Fitz is not Shero but money is money:
upload_2021-2-24_10-54-23.png

upload_2021-2-24_10-55-22.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad