Speculation: Will your team sign Dougie Hamilton in the offseason?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
When I run the numbers I think we could go as high as $9.5M. The fact that PLD is under contract next year where Laine was going to need his big money deal kicks the can down the road 1 more year. After next season, in order to fit PLD's big money deal, we'd need to move on from one of DeMelo, Pionk, Copp or Lowry.

I think the Jets have the need, the capspace, a winning team where he could be the piece that makes us cup contenders and the museums to make it happen. No top UFA has ever picked Winnipeg unless it was a big overpay (Bobby Hull). Everyone else needs to play here first and then they decide to stay. I'd suggest that the Jets would offer 7 by $9M so other teams should make their offers knowing that they'd need to beat that.

Dougie @ $9.5
Wheeler @ $8.25
Connor @ $7.15
Morrisey @ $6.25
Helly @ $6.16
Sheifele @ $6.12
Ehlers @ $6.0
Pionk needing a raise from $3.0 (RFA)
PLD needing a raise from $5.0 in a year

Those are some great players and some of those deals are very good, but that's also a TON of money tied up. I know there are expiring contracts as well so it's not an issue of having the space but it might be an issue of what's left to fill out your roster.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The Oilers have the cap space and the need, I can see them making a big pitch to him on the basis he'll rack up PP points with McDrai and he could help complete a core that has serious cup aspirations over the next 5 years. Playing with 2 of the top 3 players on the planet could be enough to push a guy like Dougie into Norris contention, if he is looking for places to catalyze personal success I think Edmonton would be at the top of that list.

Can't see the Avs giving him an offer, simply because Makar fulfills the role that Hamilton will be looking for himself.

Jets are also a top chance for where he could end up.

Granted despite how good Edmonton/Winnipeg are fit wise, they aren't the high profile cities that tend to attract 28 year old millionaires.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Dougie @ $9.5
Wheeler @ $8.25
Connor @ $7.15
Morrisey @ $6.25
Helly @ $6.16
Sheifele @ $6.12
Ehlers @ $6.0

Those are some great players and some of those deals are very good, but that's also a TON of money tied up. I know there are expiring contracts as well so it's not an issue of having the space but it might be an issue of what's left to fill out your roster.

We also will have a bunch of ELCs in Heinola, Samberg, Stanley, Vesalainen, Gustafson and Perfetti so we can make it work. Wheeler's contract comes off the books when the ELCs will need increases.

So next year it would be fine, but the following year we'd need to trade/not sign past next season 1 of Copp, Lowry, Pionk or DeMelo so we can afford PLD's raise. I'd suggest we'd likely trade DeMelo for futures.

Anyhow, I've mocked it out 4 years and it's all good. $9.5 makes it very tight but it can be done. That is assuming that Bryan Little's career is over and he is LTIR the rest of his contract.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
upload_2021-2-25_8-50-40.png

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I think it comes down to the television contract. Does the cap go up, down or remain stagnant after the new TV contract is signed.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Dougie @ $9.5
Wheeler @ $8.25
Connor @ $7.15
Morrisey @ $6.25
Helly @ $6.16
Sheifele @ $6.12
Ehlers @ $6.0

We also will have a bunch of ELCs in Heinola, Samberg, Stanley, Vesalainen, Gustafson and Perfetti so we can make it work. Wheeler's contract comes off the books when the ELCs will need increases.

So next year it would be fine, but the following year we'd need to trade/not sign past next season 1 of Copp, Lowry, Pionk or DeMelo so we can afford PLD's raise. I'd suggest we'd likely trade DeMelo for futures.

Anyhow, I've mocked it out 4 years and it's all good. $9.5 makes it very tight but it can be done. That is assuming that Bryan Little's career is over and he is LTIR the rest of his contract.

Drop Pionk off the list as he’d be traded for space. (both cap and roster)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think it comes down to the television contract. Does the cap go up, down or remain stagnant after the new TV contract is signed.
NBC deal is worth $200 mill per season. NHL was expecting a $1 billion amount per season on the next deal. Is that realistic in this Covid economy. Look at who the typical sponsors for the NHL have been and how they are doing. Will they be paying double, triples, quadruple the rates for advertising that they have been? Say it's $500 million, so an extra $300 mill per year. That's under $10 mill per team, so pushes the cap up by $4.7 mill give or take when it kicks in.

genk

Nov 15, 2015
I can't see Hamilton leaving Carolina. Good team, good future, underrated organization.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Carolina couldnt afford to keep John Forslund, I would think Hamilton would be harder to do
With almost any player, I would be wary of term for a guy who turns 28 this off-season. With Covid, I'd be willing to pay a higher cap hit for a shorter term of 5/6 years. But, the standard practice of doing the max term and still giving the max cap hit won't happen. Can't afford to be taking on big cap hits for down years. Those are virtually impossible to move now.

Peterpuck7810

Jan 13, 2021
I can't see Hamilton leaving Carolina. Good team, good future, underrated organization.
Hamilton has been less affective than last year, looks like he has lost a step coming off that broken leg.

I'm not sure Carolina will keep him with Jake Beans improvements this year.....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
With almost any player, I would be wary of term for a guy who turns 28 this off-season. With Covid, I'd be willing to pay a higher cap hit for a shorter term of 5/6 years. But, the standard practice of doing the max term and still giving the max cap hit won't happen. Can't afford to be taking on big cap hits for down years. Those are virtually impossible to move now.

You keep the player and deal with the salary cap problem when it becomes a problem. The chances or replacing that player with ballpark production is very slim. Are you willing to damage your team now to avoid problems 7 years from now?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Hamilton has been less affective than last year, looks like he has lost a step coming off that broken leg.

I'm not sure Carolina will keep him with Jake Beans improvements this year.....

Jake Bean is most certainly not a Dougie Hamilton replacement, but I can see the logic here. Hamilton has not been his normal self this year, but still good. However, I don’t think he’s show this year he’s worth $8M x 8, and if that’s what he wants, I’ll say it again, I don’t think he’s back in CAR.

Reactions: Peterpuck7810

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You keep the player and deal with the salary cap problem when it becomes a problem. The chances or replacing that player with ballpark production is very slim. Are you willing to damage your team now to avoid problems 7 years from now?
Seeing too many player's production drop before they hit 34.
Blues rolled the dice on Backes and when they met boston in the finals, Backes was in year 3 of his 5 year deal and he was being scratched by Boston at various points in the playoffs and playing 4th line.
GMs historically give out term because, in 5/6 years it likely won't be their problem to deal with.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Was Ron Francis still the GM in Carolina when the Canes acquired him?

Have to think the Kraken make an offer if he reaches UFA. Would be a very nice 1D to start their organization off with.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If Carolina couldnt afford to keep John Forslund, I would think Hamilton would be harder to do

Dundon has made his philosophy clear in media spots: spend on the players and skimp on the other stuff. Not defending it. Squeezing Forslund, providing lower quality healthcare options to employees, etc. offers small savings in the broader context. It’s like cutting coupons and then driving to the grocery store in a Ferrari. It’s his wealth and he’s going to do what he wants to do with it, I suppose.

Money is not going to be an issue with Hamilton, unless he wants significant SBs (Carolina wouldn’t be alone in wanting to avoid those, particularly in this environment). Term and the risk that brings will be the determining factor.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Seeing too many player's production drop before they hit 34.
Blues rolled the dice on Backes and when they met boston in the finals, Backes was in year 3 of his 5 year deal and he was being scratched by Boston at various points in the playoffs and playing 4th line.
GMs historically give out term because, in 5/6 years it likely won't be their problem to deal with.

Make good choices. I think its going to be very difficult for the Capitals to replace TJ Oshie and you would have let John Carlson walk? Backes was a bad idea. The Caps let Holtby go. They let Jay Beagle go but as elementary as Beagle appears the Caps havent been able to replace him.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
With Weber and Petry occupying the right side, I doubt that we will even knock on the door.

However...if I was Bbinz, and to be clear here, I'm not since I'm not a fashionista, I would try to see if there is something that can be done with Weber going back to the Preds (hello recapture) and THEN I would offer him 9x6.

After all, he's almost local adjacent boy from Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad