Speculation: Will your team sign Dougie Hamilton in the offseason?

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
You realize TJ Brodie just got 4x$5M, right? Brodin got 7x$6M. Krug got 7x$6.5! ... I think you'd struggle to find many teams who wouldnt move money around to try to add those guys on those deals. Why would Hamilton get less than those guys? Hamilton has been between 7th-14th in Norris voting four years in a row, none of those guys have ever finished top 15.

My comment was not about Hamilton's market value in past seasons, or off-seasons.
It wasnt directly about Hamilton at all.
It is about what teams have learned, during recent months, about the current, Flat Cap, new-normal.
There is less Cap space to go around, and it may be harder than ever to "move money around to try to add those guys on those deals"
That is why Dougie may "get less than those guys"
This will be a tough market for players with expiring contracts, all of them, at all skill and contribution levels.
Not exactly the same, but look at baseball - over 130 UFAs still unsigned, and the number of long-term, big-ticket contracts this off-season?
You can count them on the fingers of one hand.

But i did also write "it only takes 1" to get your price.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
My comment was not about Hamilton's market value in past seasons, or off-seasons.
It is about what teams have learned, during recent months, about the current, Flat Cap, new-normal.
There is less Cap space to go around, and it may be harder than ever to "move money around to try to add those guys on those deals"
This will be a tough market for players with expiring contracts, all of them, at all skill and contribution levels.
Not exactly the same, but look at baseball - over 130 UFAs still unsigned, and the number of long-term, big-ticket contracts this off-season?

All of those deals I referenced were signed after the flat cap was established.

Your reasons for why he will get less than he would have pre-pandemic are sound; the extent to which you believe those factors will impact his contract are not.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i suspect he (and others UFA next off-season) will be frustrated by how much less $$ are available
some team could offer ~ 4x$4M, he and agent will think that is unfairly low,
but there may not be many offers of more
it's not just about his supposed market value, but maybe even more about hard decisions teams face with flat Cap
BUT it only takes one ...
I think he'll end up with a big cap hit but for shorter term like 5 years or he'd have to go lower on the cap to get the max term of 7 years.

Like if $8 mill or something is what he expects for the max term, I think that $8 mill will only be available for like 5 year term to take him to 33 vs all the way to 35. To get max term of 7 years elsewhere, he'd likely have to drop his cap number to between $6.5 - $7 mill.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
No, we have bigger problems.

Biggest needs in the off-season are long term 2C solution and a true starting goalie.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I would argue that its because of a lack of these guys we cant push for playoffs. I hardly care that he wants to go to museums, heck I want Hanifin too!

And its not the fairest comparison and Fitz is not Shero but money is money: View attachment 399980
View attachment 399982
Seen him play live he will frustrate you like he has most teams he has been on with unwillingness to commit that extra effort or lack of physicality.... to see him as your playoff messiah and leader you have the wrong guy....That's why he gets bounced team to team....IMO he should stay where he is right coach to get most out of him....Is he a good defenseman yes is he going to lead your team to the cup no he's not that type of player so by time Devils really are ready to compete he will be over 30 imo....If they got him at 6.5 and you realize what your getting he's good but to put him as elite hard sell.....

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
My dream scenario would be that Toronto trades Rielly, let's Andersen walk, and acquires Hamilton. 8.5m seems fair.

We may need to make other large scale changes to make this happen, but Dougie is a legit Norris contender.

Seen him play live he will frustrate you like he has most teams he has been on with unwillingness to commit that extra effort or lack of physicality.... to see him as your playoff messiah and leader you have the wrong guy....That's why he gets bounced team to team....IMO he should stay where he is right coach to get most out of him....Is he a good defenseman yes is he going to lead your team to the cup no he's not that type of player so by time Devils really are ready to compete he will be over 30 imo....If they got him at 6.5 and you realize what your getting he's good but to put him as elite hard sell.....

I see these comments about players all the time. They are so lazy. It wasn't long ago that people were questioning if Hedman was the type of #1D that can help you win a Cup.

Good teams win Cups. The playoff warrior schtik was more relevant in the 80s and 90s when you had to survive the grueling physical punishment that was legal back then.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Jets could pay $8-$8.5M to Hamilton in FA, with Perreault and Stastny off the books this summer.

Might need to move Pionk or DeMelo though to fit it all in, with youngsters Samberg and Heinola on the way.

He would look very nice on Jets top pairing and #1 pp.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Elite is a very subjective term. Is he capable of being an elite D? Yes, his play last season proved that.

Is he capable of maintaining an elite level of play long term?-Eh...not looking so good so far this season.

Even taking his current, disappointing so far season into account, he’s got 11pts in 17gms. He’s still playing top pairing minutes. He’s still a top pair RD, those guys are always going to get paid. I hope he sticks around in CAR, but as I’ve said earlier in this thread, I’m starting to have doubts he does stay.

See what your saying and I agree he should stay in Carolina and to your team I think he fits your timeline better.....Would he make NJD'S better yes but is he right fit I don't think so.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
See what your saying and I agree he should stay in Carolina and to your team I think he fits your timeline better.....Would he make NJD'S better yes but is he right fit I don't think so.
If you are NJ, or any team be leary of giving term past age 33. If NJ offered a 5 year term for a bigger cap hit, that's likely the better option for them. I wouldn't do $8.5 mill per for the max 7 years. Would want to cut down the cap hit if they go max term.

Hamilton is at $5.75 mill right now. Can Carolina find an extra $2 mill per season to retain him for the foreseeable future with Svech due for a contract this off-season?

They have $28 mill in cap space in the off-season, but only 12 players under contract that make up the $53 mill that they have commited against the salary cap next season. So, they need 11 roster players, including both goalies.

If you put Svech down for at least the Barzal contract at $7 mill per and give Hamilton his $8 mill, that's $13 mill left for the other 9 players. Depends on what their goalies would cost them. Foegle is also an RFA who is currently at a $2.1 mill cap hit, so just maintaining that would drop them to $11 mill for 8 players. The 6 skaters could combine for $5 mill leaving $6 mill for the 2 goalies. So, doable.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If the Kings really are over the hump, I'd love for Blake to look into it. I'm not sure what Hamilton is looking for but LA can certainly provide it. If the Kings lose Clague to the expansion draft, having Hamilton on the left side would be a pretty significant get for LA.

Hamilton - Doughty
Bjornfot - Roy
Anderson - Walker

That's a playoff-caliber defense.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018

Which is why Seattle will be the team.
Nothing to move around at all. Just write a cheque and start your team with a good defense man

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Edmonton might try.

We tried to trade for him in the past, and if we let Barrie and Larsson go we'll have an opening. But that's a fairly big if.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
How about Minnesota? The Wild's cap space for next season is deceiving with extensions for Kaprizov, Eriksson Ek and Fiala looming. However, Dumba's name has been out there in the past. Trading him at the deadline and then backfilling with a UFA Hamilton for an extra $2 mil or so in the Summer would upgrade the team and increase the asset base in an organization that needs it at the same time.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If the Kings really are over the hump, I'd love for Blake to look into it. I'm not sure what Hamilton is looking for but LA can certainly provide it. If the Kings lose Clague to the expansion draft, having Hamilton on the left side would be a pretty significant get for LA.

Hamilton - Doughty
Bjornfot - Roy
Anderson - Walker

That's a playoff-caliber defense.

So you're gonna sign Dougie to a longterm deal at big money and then make him play on his off-side which he never does?

Seems strange.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-24_12-4-5.jpeg
    upload_2021-2-24_12-4-5.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 5

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Pens would probably entertain trading Letang and signing Hamilton to replace him. Tanger has one year left on his deal and this D core is in the middle of a refresh anyway. It would be nice to get an asset for Letang and replace him with a newer model, albeit at a higher cap hit.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Jets could pay $8-$8.5M to Hamilton in FA, with Perreault and Stastny off the books this summer.

Might need to move Pionk or DeMelo though to fit it all in, with youngsters Samberg and Heinola on the way.

He would look very nice on Jets top pairing and #1 pp.

When I run the numbers I think we could go as high as $9.5M. The fact that PLD is under contract next year where Laine was going to need his big money deal kicks the can down the road 1 more year. After next season, in order to fit PLD's big money deal, we'd need to move on from one of DeMelo, Pionk, Copp or Lowry.

I think the Jets have the need, the capspace, a winning team where he could be the piece that makes us cup contenders and the museums to make it happen. No top UFA has ever picked Winnipeg unless it was a big overpay (Bobby Hull). Everyone else needs to play here first and then they decide to stay. I'd suggest that the Jets would offer 7 by $9M so other teams should make their offers knowing that they'd need to beat that.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Doubt he leaves Carolina but Yzerman would be blowing up his phone if he hits the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->