Will your perception of a player change if they opted not to play?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Something I was wondering is what if an important goalie sits out?
Take Hellebuyck - he's so important to the team, if he sits out do we just run Brossoit and Comrie? If Brossoit also sits out, now there are 2 AHL guys in the playoffs.
The goalies have the right to sit out, but it'd be terrible if they did.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
definitely unless they have an at risk kid or something. I would question their drive to actually win a cup, and wonder if they are only in hockey to earn money.

I wouldn't punish them though as they may be punished enough when it's time to sign a new contract.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Something I was wondering is what if an important goalie sits out?
Take Hellebuyck - he's so important to the team, if he sits out do we just run Brossoit and Comrie? If Brossoit also sits out, now there are 2 AHL guys in the playoffs.
The goalies have the right to sit out, but it'd be terrible if they did.
It does put pressure on the more impactful players on a team. Let’s say a player on my favorite team, the Lightning, has a newborn at home, or family member with higher risk factors, or some other compelling reason to stay home. Does our opinion change if that player is Victor Hedman versus Carter Verhaeghe? Like your example, does a #1 goalie get less leeway from fans of their team than a 6th defenseman would?

Reactions: jetsforever

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
No but the culture wouldn't ever let them forget it so it probably won't happen

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think basically everyone is going to end up getting it at some point. Guys can sit, but they shouldn't get paid for it.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
If someone sits out, I won’t judge. I believe that there are many fair reasons why players might opt out and it goes well beyond a player or close family member already having an underlying condition. Even if a player doesn’t have an underlying condition, we’ve learned that this virus doesn’t discriminate. Underlying health conditions and age can have a big impact but there have been cases of young healthy people contracting the virus and landing in ICU, and even dying. If players are paranoid or want to play it safe for any reason, I get it. It’s time to put our selfishness as fans aside, and if a player chooses to opt out, so be it. I don’t see why players should be forced to play with the current events going on. Additionally, I don’t think we don’t deserve an explanation of why players chose to opt out.

If anyone does opt out, I also won’t put an asterisk on the Stanley Cup winner. Every year teams have to deal with adversity like poor reffing and injuries. So if someone opts out, that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I will say this- a new article in the Athletic says GMs and vets are pissed because some younger players are concerned not because of health but because it interferes with their summer plans, and “time with family”.

My perception of those players would change drastically.

As one anonymous GM stated in response “it pisses me off. What have you been doing for the last 4 months? This is your (expletive) job.”

Well said, sir.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
If I accepted Hossa retiring for an equipment allergy, I will accept a player not playing due to Covid-19.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
The players will be fairly isolated from the "real world" so its probably safer to play than not unless you fully isolate yourself. If you do it because you or someone you live with have an underlying condition its understandable. Other than that it makes no sense... The average NHL player is probably more likely to die from their team jet crashing as much as they fly, than from covid...

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Yeah my perception of a player opting out would change more than likely.

Could be a positive change, could be a negative change, could be the first time I've heard of that player so now I have a perception of them.

I wonder if there's a few players who are done who will opt-out because they just want that last years paycheque?

That type of player would not bother me at all. Get your money and stay safe.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Not just the fact that quarantine in your own house really sucks let alone a hotel (doesn’t matter how ritsy, still not home),
and not just that in the context of the playoffs feeling like a gimmick almost entirely removed from the season, ie the context that makes winning the Cup special (more important than just the piece of metal),
with random teams possibly in and the factor of young v old , slow starters v quick etc completely skewing what would have happened

But keep in mind all this + the fact the next season is supposed to start basically right after, presumed to be fairly crammed and possibly cut into the next summer which will probably be short so they can start the following season back on track... That’s a lot of hockey/time away

Then, when you look at how horribly the corona virus is being handled all around, and the still possibly lack of effective vaccines and the fact the gov’t may not compell people which kinda weakens the point... it’s hard not to wonder will the season have these protocols?

Imagine a turd of a quarantined playoffs away from home followed by a crammed possibly quarantined season, followed by more playoffs

I get my job is my job, but holy shit if I got the option to stay home I’d take it.

I love hockey and am ready for it to start, but no I won’t judge players for skipping this in favor of seeing how things play out/being fresh for the less gimmicky season. I love hockey but I don’t feel entitled to it.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
Not just the fact that quarantine in your own house really sucks let alone a hotel (doesn’t matter how ritsy, still not home),
and not just that in the context of the playoffs feeling like a gimmick almost entirely removed from the season, ie the context that makes winning the Cup special (more important than just the piece of metal),
with random teams possibly in and the factor of young v old , slow starters v quick etc completely skewing what would have happened

But keep in mind all this + the fact the next season is supposed to start basically right after, presumed to be fairly crammed and possibly cut into the next summer which will probably be short so they can start the following season back on track... That’s a lot of hockey/time away

Then, when you look at how horribly the corona virus is being handled all around, and the still possibly lack of effective vaccines and the fact the gov’t may not compell people which kinda weakens the point... it’s hard not to wonder will the season have these protocols?

Imagine a turd of a quarantined playoffs away from home followed by a crammed possibly quarantined season, followed by more playoffs

I get my job is my job, but holy shit if I got the option to stay home I’d take it.

I love hockey and am ready for it to start, but no I won’t judge players for skipping this in favor of seeing how things play out/being fresh for the less gimmicky season. I love hockey but I don’t feel entitled to it.
IMO the whole NHL would become a gimmick if they didn't finish the playoffs if finishing was still an option. The entire point of hockey is like you said the context that makes winning the cup so special. If players were expected to play over 140 regular season games before they had a chance at playoff hockey it would completely ruin all the context that makes the cup so special, Also what if Mcdavid or other star players get hurt grinding out another 82 games before they even got to compete in the playoffs they have already earned? I feel if players were forced to play another 82 games and got injured in the process then next year would have an asterisk 4 to 5 times bigger then the one people want to give to these playoffs.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Yes. Definitely.

I am a hockey fan, which means I want players to entertain me. Both I and they understand that there is a risk of injury, even long-term, career-threatening injury, every time they play. This is precisely why they earn BIG money -- because they are taking risks to entertain us. To not play because 'it's risky' but still earn the big money doesn't sit well with me.

The league is doing everything it can to minimize COVID exposure. The players will have world-class medical care and regular highly-controlled testing in high security, medically-approved environments. I think long term, career-threatening injuries from on-ice incidents are much more likely than from catching COVID. The risk of long-term damage due to COVID is very low and accepting that small risk is precisely why players get the big $$$.

Exceptions would be those few with compromised immune systems or associated underlying conditions.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I suppose me perception would change. It would be good to see people not worrying about what the ignorant masses think and focusing on themselves/family/high risk folks in general during these troubling times.

Reactions: AzHawk

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
definitely unless they have an at risk kid or something. I would question their drive to actually win a cup, and wonder if they are only in hockey to earn money.

I wouldn't punish them though as they may be punished enough when it's time to sign a new contract.
Don’t be fooled that every player in the league really cares if they win a cup or not! If some are playing hockey for a living making the best money possible there’s nothing wrong with that I’m sure money comes first for a lot of players!

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
No problem with it , I'd like to see those game checks donated somehow.

I know I'm four days late... and haven't read the whole thread so if this has been discussed please ignore me, but.

what game checks? Does the play-in round count for regular season totals? Cause last I checked players don't get paid for playoff games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad