Will your perception of a player change if they opted not to play?

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I can see some " Wealthy" veterans opting out and that would be just wrong to their team and the league.

1000% OK with anyone with a PROVEN pre-existing condition like Domi and Kunin ( both young with Diabetes ). I'd bet that neither would opt out if it were their choice and got the OK from Dr's

The whole excuse about being away from family is BS IMO

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I wouldn't. It might take the shine or lustre off who wins the Cup if we see a significant number of players opt out, but I don't think we should hold it against those players. There's plenty of valid reasons to opt out even if the player themselves are healthy and have no pre-existing conditions.

Reactions: AzHawk

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How dare those players value their lives and family over playing during a time the whole world is going through a pandemic and people are actually dying from it.

No one should be shaming them for not wanting to play given the current circumstances. Another 9 infected, the NHL would have been better off just cancelling the season and waiting until October like usual, give the scientists and doctors time to test and come out with a better way to get people back to the closest to normal we can get.

There's that bloke on the Flyers that just got better from CANCER of all things. Domi has diabetes and is at a higher risk than most in the NHL. Is it really worth it? Your life, literally, could be at risk.

Having gone through the virus myself, it's just...no, I would never risk being stupid and playing just to show some weird sense of manliness to win anything.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
17 year old kids have been stocking the aisles in grocery stores throughout this pandemic for minimum wage. I think some millionaire athletes can play a kids game in a sealed off bubble for a few months.

Those 17-year old kids stocking groceries having every right to choose not to work just as well. No one is forcing them to work. But unfortunately, many aren't afforded the luxury of being "fine" even by not working as multi-millionaire athletes are.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
There are game checks?
I thought they were already paid for this year!

If I was a player like Ovie or Crosby there’s no way I’d train for an exhibition and gladly jump at the opportunity to opt out.
I wasn't sure if they had been paid for the remaining regular season.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Only if they opt not to play then are seen out partying in public and being irresponsible. But if they opt not to play so they can hunker down for the duration, fine with me. I wish I could do the same myself.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No, we don't know these people's families or lives outside of hockey. Maybe they have a sick parent or close relative who may pass away while they are in the bubble, maybe they are expecting a child, etc. Yes, I get tons of people have to be away from their families for work for long periods, but that isn't what NHLers signed up for outside of 2 weeks or so for a road-trip. They aren't court jesters who are obligated to entertain me.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Hell no. Health and family come first, though I would be jealous that they can put their health before their jobs since most of us can't.

Reactions: AzHawk

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Yes it would. I would think they were a diva. Everyone is back to work. Go to work in a safer environment than us all. And worst case you get it, you isolate and feel shitty for a week. Your family isn't there so no giving it to them.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yes it would. I would think they were a diva. Everyone is back to work. Go to work in a safer environment than us all. And worst case you get it, you isolate and feel shitty for a week. Your family isn't there so no giving it to them.

Yes, because that's the absolute WORST thing that can happen to you if you get COVID-19. :laugh:

Reactions: Excitable Boy

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
If they have a legit pre-existing condition, then sure. Make's sense.

But if they are healthy and so much as go to the grocery store for those months, they'll be heckled for years. Not one to heckle players but I won't be defending them either.

So lets just say for the sake of arguement you are a young Nhl star. In the last year of your entry level contract. You are about to have a guaranteeed 40 or 50 million dollar contract. Would you play? One of the possible results of Covid is lung damage. Even if a player contracted it and didnt die they could sustain enough damage to their lungs to end their career. Would you take that chance? To maybe give up 50 million dollars and security for your family?

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
If they have a legit pre-existing condition, then sure. Make's sense.

But if they are healthy and so much as go to the grocery store for those months, they'll be heckled for years. Not one to heckle players but I won't be defending them either.

You can distance yourself from other people while going to the grocery store on top of being able to wear a mask and being able to sanitize. A hockey game has you in close proximity of >20 other players/coaches plus players from the other team. It's not even close to the same unless you can convince players to stay 2 meters apart on and off the ice and to stop spitting all the time.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I wasn't sure if they had been paid for the remaining regular season.

The nhl did owe the players 1 more check due to some regular season games remaining. Part of the cba negotiations resulted in the players forfeiting their last check to pay back owners in part to keep the cap and escrow from going to hell.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad