Will your perception of a player change if they opted not to play?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
According to TSN, the new CBA will allow a player to opt-out of Return to Play this summer and not participate in the qualifying round or playoffs. This would not be considered a breach of contract and the player will still be entitled to playoff money share and receive credit for the final quarterly pension.

My question is will you look at a player differently if this was to happen? Would they be considered soft if they decided to opt-out without having any underlying medical issues.

Hockey players are often considered warriors who play through anything especially during the playoffs. It would certainly be against the grain if an NHLer was to sit out especially for precautionary reasons.

It wouldnt make headlines if non-superstars did this on non-contending NHL teams but what if a big time player decides to opt-out.

Will their own fan base turn on them?

For example, what if Bergeron or Marchand decide not to play. OR god forbid Marner or Morgan Reilly. As a fan of these teams, how would you look at these players?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Would they be considered SOFT if they decided to opt out???! It'd be the exact opposite. It would show some massive balls to go against the prevailing peer pressure and do that. I would support them 110%.

I'm surprised the new CBA allows that option, it must be something the PA pushed hard for if it's there. Good on both sides for formalizing it, if so.
:handclap:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I wouldn't think of the player differently, but I may look back on this Cup differently.

For example - if Marchand, Kucherov, Jones or Barkov dropped out, it would take some of the luster off whoever wins in the East in my eyes. If we see teams losing multiple starting line up players, it will really weaken the no asterisk argument for me.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Of course not. I have no faith in anyone in a position of power right now and haven't left my house for months now other than for food. I would be a giant hypocrite if I did that.

I wouldnt blame a player for feeling their health is second to the money being earned from the tournament.

As a matter of fact this was the one chance the PA had to get some leverage over the owners, and it seemed the owners knew that by giving them everything they wanted in the new CBA proposal, but FIRST you have to put your health on the line for this BS tournament.

As a Mets fan I'm actually hoping deGrom chooses to sit the MLB season out. He never would because he is the ultimate competitor and leader, but I do not want to waste some precious innings of his arm on this farce of a season.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Only if they are literally sitting in their house with the exception of getting groceries. And let's be fair none of them have to do their own grocery shopping either.
Opting out to go party or any of the countless things players have been seen doing recently. Yeah I'd judge them differently.
You can't cry "safety" to get out of work then go and do a bunch of shit that would be more dangerous.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For anyone on here who is also a fan of MLB and has a favorite team their players are also given the option to not play the upcoming season and there have been a number of players who choose that option. One big name player like David Price of the Los Angeles Dodgers decided to do that.

So if Mitch Marner or Morgan Rielly thought to themselves they didn't want to play I wouldn't hold it against them.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I’d think it’d be pretty lame if an otherwise healthy player sat out. Lots of people are still going to work and for much less money than these guys are making.

However it’s ultimately their decision and you have to respect it. You aren’t aware of what goes into that decision of theirs so it wouldn’t be right to judge it.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
For anyone on here who is also a fan of MLB and has a favorite team their players are also given the option to not play the upcoming season and there have been a number of players who choose that option. One big name player like David Price of the Los Angeles Dodgers decided to do that.

So if Mitch Marner or Morgan Rielly thought to themselves they didn't want to play I wouldn't hold it against them.

Especially because the MLB completely f***ed up the testing this weekend, I wouldn't blame the players if they staged a walk out

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
To be blunt, yes, and they would show a lack of character. They are part of an industry that is taking care of them, and it is under fire. They are supposed to be in this together. The league has gone over and above for safety.

That means that players can opt out, but there better be a great reason. Like for instance, if doctors determined that Domi's diabetes was not so bad that he was required to sit out but there was still extra risk, I wouldn't fault him for still opting out. Same if anyone has asthma. Or, if there is a compelling reason that they need to be with their family at that time. But if they can re-schedule a vacation for instance, they should.

And I'm not saying they should be penalized. I'm just saying it's a bad look for them. This is a moot point I think though. I don't think there will be many who opt out.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Depends on the player tbh.

I want to sit here and say that no it wouldn't but lets be honest, narratives affect how we view players. If a player is seen as lazy already, it might enforce that for me. Or a player near the end of their career who's rumoured to be 'done', it might for me. This one isn't true for me but theres a small section of people out there who say Price declined because his focus shifted from hockey to family, him missing out to be with family would feed into their perception of him.

Generally no, I'm not sure if I would play if I was an NHLer right now, but exceptions always exist.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
My perception on any player during this playoff series isnt going to change if they play or not.

you're going to see some garbage hockey if they play, passes in skates, bad conditioning etc etc

Marchand echoed these same sentiments on the restart

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I wouldn't think of the player differently, but I may look back on this Cup differently.

For example - if Marchand, Kucherov, Jones or Barkov dropped out, it would take some of the luster off whoever wins in the East in my eyes. If we see teams losing multiple starting line up players, it will really weaken the no asterisk argument for me.

I think everyone in this thread is being very politically correct in their answers so far. You're a Leafs fan right? What if in round 1 - Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander all have the games of their lives - and you guys are scoring 6-7 goals each game while even playing solidly defensively.....yet Andersen decided to opt out, your backup goalies utterly suck with horrible bad goals and you still lose the series.

Everyone today is saying it's fine - but if an important player sits and if there's a chance that missing that player directly contributed to a loss vs a win - I think fans will turn on them super quickly.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Not at all, especially if they have family at home they're concerned about. Not to mention we don't have a clear picture of any long term effects on health of those who recover after getting it.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Absolutely not. Everyone has the right to do what they believe is best for them and their families. Especially when it comes to health.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I think everyone in this thread is being very politically correct in their answers so far. You're a Leafs fan right? What if in round 1 - Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander all have the games of their lives - and you guys are scoring 6-7 goals each game while even playing solidly defensively.....yet Andersen decided to opt out, your backup goalies utterly suck with horrible bad goals and you still lose the series.

Everyone today is saying it's fine - but if an important player sits and if there's a chance that missing that player directly contributed to a loss vs a win - I think fans will turn on them super quickly.
Your talking about a zamboni driving legend.

Reactions: Plural

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad