Will your perception of a player change if they opted not to play?

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Not at all. I returned to work June 1st. If my company said stay home with no penalty and stay on unemployment I would have gladly stayed home.
I'm at an auto assembly plant with 4500 other people on two shifts. I was scared when I went back. Company put in a great effort and we've been safe so far, but they could be keeping positive cases quiet. Masks are mandatory and we get our temperature scanned when we walk in. That's still a ton of people and the plant basically runs for two 10.5 hour shifts a day, so 21 hours non stop production.
I do not blame players at all if they stay home and don't feel safe. There's blood, and sweat and spit flying during hockey games. Remember how fast the mumps went through the Penguins line up a few years back.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
So lets just say for the sake of arguement you are a young Nhl star. In the last year of your entry level contract. You are about to have a guaranteeed 40 or 50 million dollar contract. Would you play? One of the possible results of Covid is lung damage. Even if a player contracted it and didnt die they could sustain enough damage to their lungs to end their career. Would you take that chance? To maybe give up 50 million dollars and security for your family?

Get insurance if that's what you want.

That contract won't be 50 million if you sit out

lawrence

May 19, 2012
If the players decides not to play they shouldn't get paid.

simple as that.

I can opt not to go to work if I am not certain but I will not get paid.

these players shouldn't get paid if they sit out. It's not like they are working at a wal mart or a place were its busy, they are just playing a sport.

Reactions: 63 others and Fig

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
You can distance yourself from other people while going to the grocery store on top of being able to wear a mask and being able to sanitize. A hockey game has you in close proximity of >20 other players/coaches plus players from the other team. It's not even close to the same unless you can convince players to stay 2 meters apart on and off the ice and to stop spitting all the time.

20 other people that have been isolated for a month.

Probably safer than kissing your wife on any given day

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
20 other people that have been isolated for a month.

Probably safer than kissing your wife on any given day

So I guess teams haven't been shutting down practices due to positive test results.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not at all. I returned to work June 1st. If my company said stay home with no penalty and stay on unemployment I would have gladly stayed home.
I'm at an auto assembly plant with 4500 other people on two shifts. I was scared when I went back. Company put in a great effort and we've been safe so far, but they could be keeping positive cases quiet. Masks are mandatory and we get our temperature scanned when we walk in. That's still a ton of people and the plant basically runs for two 10.5 hour shifts a day, so 21 hours non stop production.
I do not blame players at all if they stay home and don't feel safe. There's blood, and sweat and spit flying during hockey games. Remember how fast the mumps went through the Penguins line up a few years back.
I would agree, but I cannot because of the measures the league has taken.

Is your plant and all workers under quarantine? Likely not. Are you all getting tested every day? Likely not.

The only risky part of this is the transition to the hub cities. Other than that, playing in this tournament is safer than not playing.

Reactions: Boomstick

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I would agree, but I cannot because of the measures the league has taken.

Is your plant and all workers under quarantine? Likely not. Are you all getting tested every day? Likely not.

The only risky part of this is the transition to the hub cities. Other than that, playing in this tournament is safer than not playing.

Great points, and you are correct. I was laid off due to the pandemic from late March to June 1st. We just followed the Stay at Home protocol, so no technically we weren't under quarantine and we don't get tested at all.
The players are very well protected in those aspects, maybe it's not such a bad idea at all. I'm glad the league gave them the final decision on whether they'll play or not. I hope this all works out, but only time will tell.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Just a tinge but if they are truly worried about their health, its understandable... it's their choice to play and get a paycheck or sit out and forego the $$$.

You don't get paid in the playoffs

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
It would definitely depend on their reasoning, but I would probably have a BETTER opinion of a player who decided to opt out.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
It would not change my perception of a player if they choose not to play. Health is the far more important than some game. And with the stories I've read of how an infection can absolutely wreck you it could actually cut the already limited time players have to earn their millions.
In fact I think forcing the season to continue is just dumb and the NHL should just axe this season and call it a loss. That said, if my Hawks happen to win the whole thing (they wont), then I'll gladly take it with all the gloating rights.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
With an underlying condition, absolutely not. With no underlying conditions, yes. But not like "disgusted" or anything. But it would change my perception of them just a little.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Yes, it would. How much - well, that depends on the reasons.

I think the opt out clause is a good thing. I just don't understand why they would still get a cut of the playoff money etc. I my mind this is very simple: go to work, get paid. All NHL players are financially secure enough so that they can opt to sit home without salary for a couple of months. (Yes, I know players aren't paid "salary" for playoffs anyway.)

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Can't blame anyone for making a decision that they believe is best for them and their family. Anyone.

A player decides to pass on the return-to-play? I hope no one even asks them why.

That said, I'm glad the season will continue, and as long as everyone involved is healthy, I'm super excited. I could use the entertainment break right now. And there's always some unsung guys who step up in huge ways, so that will be fun if some big names are out.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Not at all. Why would you be mad at someone for not wanting to be infected with a deadly pathogen and bring it to their friends and family?

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Roman Polak is most likely going to opt out. I completely understand his situation and don't blame him in the slightest.

I think I would only get upset if a player opts out for safety reasons, and then is spotted out in public while their team is still in the tournament. Anyone who thinks the tournament in a bubble is too unsafe, had better not be going to any other social gatherings in the meantime.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Honestly, it depends on their reason and how they spend their time.

If they stay home with family or health reasons, fair play.

For example, if Mike Green wants to drop out because he doesn't want to spend weeks away from his wife and new born, fair enough.

Same if Kaapo Kakko is worried about complications with his type-1 diabetes.

The only way I'd judge a guy is if he chose to drop out due to health concerns, and were then later seen at a packed rave or club in Florida. (Note: Golfing or fishing or going to restaurants I wouldn't care about)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->