Will your perception of a player change if they opted not to play?

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
Don’t be fooled that every player in the league really cares if they win a cup or not! If some are playing hockey for a living making the best money possible there’s nothing wrong with that I’m sure money comes first for a lot of players!
Oh i can't be fooled, anyone who's watched the leafs or tampa in the playoffs knows some players don't care if they win a cup or not

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Absolutely not. It would be the height of hypocrisy for me to criticize a player who is making a decision on the basis of protecting their own health, in an industry where optimal long term health is a requirement to compete in that profession.

Ok, but what if they got caught eating dinner at a restaurant or watching a movie? They deserve to be shamed if they don't show up to play, yet still head outside in public places

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Meh lots of us have to work when we would rather be home with our families.

If they have a condition that makes it especially dangerous for them, no issues with them sitting out. But if not just do your f***ing job.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I won't disrespect or be mad or anything if the player decides not to play.

If a walmat worker decides not to show up to work in fear of catching the virus, ok fine. No pay.

If a player decides not to show up to work in fear of catching the virus, ok fine. No pay.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
How am I supposed to know who has a pre-existing condition or a legit good reason to sit out? I mean, it was supposedly a horrible HIPAA violation or an unthinkable invasion of privacy when we learned that AM had tested positive for the virus but now we're somehow owed a player's and apparently his whole family's medical history so we can make an informed decision about how to perceive him?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Ok, but what if they got caught eating dinner at a restaurant or watching a movie? They deserve to be shamed if they don't show up to play, yet still head outside in public places

Eh I think it still depends. This ‘project’ by the NHL involves around 1000+ people. That’s a far cry from sitting a restaurant with a handful of people all socially distant.

If the player was partying on the beach or some silly thing like that, then I’d agree.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I would respect a player's decision not to play. It's the prudent thing to do. We don't yet know what the long-term effects of COVID-19 are. There are multiple reports of organ damage still present months after the infection onset. If an athlete lost even 10% of his pulmonary capacity, his career could be in jeopardy.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
It does put pressure on the more impactful players on a team. Let’s say a player on my favorite team, the Lightning, has a newborn at home, or family member with higher risk factors, or some other compelling reason to stay home. Does our opinion change if that player is Victor Hedman versus Carter Verhaeghe? Like your example, does a #1 goalie get less leeway from fans of their team than a 6th defenseman would?

I laughed. This is very true. Because it does change.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
It would take a lot for me not to. If a player has a pre-existing condition that would make them at high-risk of getting very sick if they caught COVID, has a close immediate-family member that the same applies to, or has a pregnant wife that is due to give birth during the early rounds of the playoffs, I wouldn't hold it against them, as long this player is consistent and isn't regularly leaving their house and being loose about catching COVID.

If it was a player who came up with bullshit excuse like a very general worry that they have family members they could get sick or they are unsure about the protocols, I absolutely would think different of the player. You let your teammates down because of your own selfishness. Every player faces the same thing. Every player has family members and isn't 100% sure that the protocols will keep them safe. There are risks for every player associated with this tournament. At the same time, this is their job and their employer has asserted that it's safe to return. They should expect to return to work, unless they have a very understandable excuse. They should be no different than any other citizen. Being a millionaire that can afford to go months, maybe years, without pay is going to give them an extra option to take no chances with their health, but it is not going to give them the same option for how they will be perceived.
Agreed and this is spot on imo. It isn’t like these players are locking themselves down and quarantining still, and if they do opt out and abide by a strict quarantine, I’d look different at it. But I guarantee if one does opt out, it’s so he can continue hanging at the cottage with friends, enjoying patios and bars, shopping. If their employer deems it safe to return, like the vast majority of citizens in the world, they should be expected to work.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Those 17-year old kids stocking groceries having every right to choose not to work just as well. No one is forcing them to work. But unfortunately, many aren't afforded the luxury of being "fine" even by not working as multi-millionaire athletes are.
Of course they do, but then they won’t get paid. Most likely can’t afford to take the risk of not earning money but still having to pay their bills. If NHL players want to opt out, fine, but your contract is now terminated.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I won’t bitch at them but won’t defend the decision. I feel like it’s a safe way to do the playoffs so I think all should participate. However I have no clue about their family life or what family members may have existing conditions so ultimately if they are opting out they obviously have a reason to do so

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'd think more highly of them.

This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous. I want the players on my team safe and healthy, not risking their lives for my ****ing entertainment.

This is going to end as well as 1919 did. We shouldn't need another Joe Hall to realize this is a terrible idea.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I wouldn't think of the player differently, but I may look back on this Cup differently.

For example - if Marchand, Kucherov, Jones or Barkov dropped out, it would take some of the luster off whoever wins in the East in my eyes. If we see teams losing multiple starting line up players, it will really weaken the no asterisk argument for me.
jones leaving would affect nothing

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
yeah it probably would. idk like i understand health is more important than puck stick game and yada yada, but on a personal level id be disappointed if tampa players didnt play and it hurt us

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I’m not gonna sit here and lie. If someone crucial like Aho or Hamilton were to sit out, I’d respect their decision and I’d want them traded at the first opportunity.

Is that fair or smart of me, no. But that’s how I’d feel.

I agree with that, and I think a lot of people feel about the same.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
It absolutely would for me and i would not welcome them back for the following season

What if they don't want to explain to you what it is, as it's none of your business?

My cousin has stage 4 cancer, and is immuno-suppressed. He will 100% die if he's exposed to it.
My sister in law is pregnant. She doesn't want to be exposed to it.

There's a LONG list of personal reasons why someone might not want to play, and its none of your f***ing business.

It's just hockey dude. And this is a pretty deadly disease we still know nothing about.

You need to chill.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
They get paid millions to do this. Unless they have some underlying condition, they should be out on the ice in August.

As for family concerns, just leave them at home for the few weeks you're playing, like you normally would while playing the regular season road games. And just stay in a hotel or something for two weeks once you get eliminated to make sure you don't infect your family upon your return. NHL salaries pay enough to cover a two week hotel stay.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
What if they don't want to explain to you what it is, as it's none of your business?

My cousin has stage 4 cancer, and is immuno-suppressed. He will 100% die if he's exposed to it.
My sister in law is pregnant. She doesn't want to be exposed to it.

There's a LONG list of personal reasons why someone might not want to play, and its none of your f***ing business.

It's just hockey dude. And this is a pretty deadly disease we still know nothing about.

You need to chill.

I was just answering the question
and said Yes it would and i wouldnt want them back next year

Im pretty sure if an nhl player had stage 4 cancer or was pregnant lol he wouldnt be clear to play what does this have to do with the subject

Rude asshole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad