Will your perception of a player change if they opted not to play?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
To be blunt, yes, and they would show a lack of character. They are part of an industry that is taking care of them, and it is under fire. They are supposed to be in this together. The league has gone over and above for safety.

That means that players can opt out, but there better be a great reason. Like for instance, if doctors determined that Domi's diabetes was not so bad that he was required to sit out but there was still extra risk, I wouldn't fault him for still opting out. Same if anyone has asthma. Or, if there is a compelling reason that they need to be with their family at that time. But if they can re-schedule a vacation for instance, they should.

And I'm not saying they should be penalized. I'm just saying it's a bad look for them. This is a moot point I think though. I don't think there will be many who opt out.

I disagree, i believe there will be plenty of players that will opt out and the NHLPA knows this which is why they bargained it into the CBA

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Not at all, especially if they have family at home they're concerned about. Not to mention we don't have a clear picture of any long term effects on health of those who recover after getting it.

I'm not entirely unconvinced this is going to happen in like 2 years to everyone who tested positive

Reactions: CamPopplestone

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My guess is all of these players are interacting with the public (which is not nearly as strictly regimented as the return to play will be) routinely enough that they should not feel scared of playing. They will be in Canada where there isn't even much of an outbreak. They will be isolated from the public. Teams will be testing multiple times per week. If I was them, I would just put it out of my mind once I get to the hub and focus on winning the Cup.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It would take a lot for me not to. If a player has a pre-existing condition that would make them at high-risk of getting very sick if they caught COVID, has a close immediate-family member that the same applies to, or has a pregnant wife that is due to give birth during the early rounds of the playoffs, I wouldn't hold it against them, as long this player is consistent and isn't regularly leaving their house and being loose about catching COVID.

If it was a player who came up with bullshit excuse like a very general worry that they have family members they could get sick or they are unsure about the protocols, I absolutely would think different of the player. You let your teammates down because of your own selfishness. Every player faces the same thing. Every player has family members and isn't 100% sure that the protocols will keep them safe. There are risks for every player associated with this tournament. At the same time, this is their job and their employer has asserted that it's safe to return. They should expect to return to work, unless they have a very understandable excuse. They should be no different than any other citizen. Being a millionaire that can afford to go months, maybe years, without pay is going to give them an extra option to take no chances with their health, but it is not going to give them the same option for how they will be perceived.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
It would take a lot for me not to. If a player has a pre-existing condition that would make them at high-risk of getting very sick if they caught COVID, has a close immediate-family member that the same applies to, or has a pregnant wife that is due to give birth during the early rounds of the playoffs, I wouldn't hold it against them, as long this player is consistent and isn't regularly leaving their house and being loose about catching COVID.

If it was a player who came up with bullshit excuse like a very general worry that they have family members they could get sick or they are unsure about the protocols, I absolutely would think different of the player. You let your teammates down because of your own selfishness. Every player faces the same thing. Every player has family members and isn't 100% sure that the protocols will keep them safe. There are risks for every player associated with this tournament. At the same time, this is their job and their employer has asserted that it's safe to return. They should expect to return to work, unless they have a very understandable excuse. They should be no different than any other citizen. Being a millionaire that can afford to go months, maybe years, without pay is going to give them an extra option to take no chances with their health, but it is not going to give them the same option for how they will be perceived.

Would the NHL totally screwing up the testing like the MLB did causing players to walk be enough?

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Just a tinge but if they are truly worried about their health, its understandable... it's their choice to play and get a paycheck or sit out and forego the $$$.

Censored23

May 20, 2011
Its no different than players opting out of playing in the Olympics. Its their choice. They are given the option, and they have every right to exercise that option.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Right now, a player opting to sit out would not affect my perception of that player. But if the Jackets made the Stanley Cup Finals and then barely lost out while a key player like Jones sat out, I think I would instinctively think less of Jones since his inclusion may have made the difference. It's unfair and illogical but I think human nature would win out and I would resent him for his decision.

Also, if a lot of players opt to sit out, that would likely affect my perception of the 2020 Stanley Cup itself. Right now I view it as just as legitimate as all the other Stanley Cups. But if 1/3 - 1/2 of the players sit out? I think my perception would change and I would view winning the Cup as less legitimate due to the significantly lessened talent pool.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Just a tinge but if they are truly worried about their health, its understandable... it's their choice to play and get a paycheck or sit out and forego the $$$.
their decision to opt out would not affect their paycheck. In fact, no players would be paid to participate in this touranment. Playoffs are understood as a privilege, and the best place to earn your next pay day.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Depends on reason and/or hypocrisy.

If they have a pre-existing condition or family members who are vulnerable who they are concerned about, no major issues (ie: TJ Brodie). This includes if Brodie was out and about with his wife on beaches socially distancing etc.

But if you refuse to play and you're out and about even if socially distancing and posting about being on beaches, playing golf etc. GTFO. If you're not playing, at least have a solid reason, or stay quiet while your team is still in the mix and toiling hard for a chance at the cup. This especially if it seems like the player would have been a difference maker.

It's a different situation though if the player just did't feel like playing and basically quarantined the whole time/didn't post anything outside of quarantine, supporting the team etc. I'd respect that even if the player didn't have a hands down reason for not participating.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
their decision to opt out would not affect their paycheck. In fact, no players would be paid to participate in this touranment. Playoffs are understood as a privilege, and the best place to earn your next pay day.
Thanks... I knew that, under normal circumstances, players weren't paid but I wasn't certain with this format.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm fine with a player sitting out. Just as long as I don't see them partying on social media.

You party on social media you deserve to get the backlash that will come with it. I wouldn't even worry about the fans as much as I would my teammates and coaches

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
No problem with it , I'd like to see those game checks donated somehow.
There are game checks?
I thought they were already paid for this year!

If I was a player like Ovie or Crosby there’s no way I’d train for an exhibition and gladly jump at the opportunity to opt out.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
dBKJMQA.jpg

*Gregory Campbell

Reactions: CageRage

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would the NHL totally screwing up the testing like the MLB did causing players to walk be enough?

The MLB didn't totally screw up the testing. There were some initial problems with the testing. I don't think there's been any widespread problem with the MLB's testing that will completely compromise the ability for screening of COVID for MLB players. If that happened and it couldn't be corrected, there would be no season.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not gonna judge a player to opt out during a pandemic.

Teammates may have a different view though. Thats where it gets tricky.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
And I'm not saying they should be penalized. I'm just saying it's a bad look for them. This is a moot point I think though. I don't think there will be many who opt out.

I think they should be penalized.

If they can't show a completely understandable reason for sitting out, that should be grounds for a contract termination. If it's safe to return, everyone else is returning, and one person wants to go rogue, their contract should up for grabs, and the contract should be eligible to come off the cap.

A worker at an Amazon warehouse or a mailman for the postal service certainly isn't given that same right. If these players have enough money already to not worry, by all means they should be allowed to make that choice. Neither the Canadian nor US Government can force someone to show up to work. But they should be subject to the same penalties that any of us would would be if we didn't show up to work because we didn't want to.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The MLB didn't totally screw up the testing. There were some initial problems with the testing. I don't think there's been any widespread problem with the MLB's testing that will completely compromise the ability for screening of COVID for MLB players. If that happened and it couldn't be corrected, there would be no season.

The MLB did screw up, they had testers not even show up and some teams had their results get delayed. The testing is supposed to be the most basic and bare minimum aspect of the RTP.

The numbers say that the NHL is going to have to administer over 20,000 tests in the first week once the teams get to the hub city.

I'm not sure I have the faith in them to pull that off without a mistake here or there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->