Will the Panthers let the Leafs make the playoffs?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I'm looking forward to TB vs Toronto in 1st round actually. Bored with Boston vs Toronto. Think it would be a great series.

Would love to see Boston vs Philadelphia 1st round series too.

It would be nice if we had a playoff race, but Florida seems to want to blow that. I can see Toronto clinching that 3rd spot fairly easily now.

I can ensure you NOTHING involving Toronto comes fairly easily lol

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
When the Leafs made the playoffs in '16-'17:

"They only got in because of loser points and because they had the greatest luck with injuries of any team in history."

If the Leafs make the playoffs this season (despite a multitude of injuries):

"They only got in because Florida let them and their division sucks."

They're pacing for 97 points. Has a 97 point team ever missed the playoffs in the history of the NHL?

With some, no credit can ever be given. They could win the cup and I am sure some would find a way to say it’s not as valuable as usual because refs or something.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
And two years prior the Leafs finished with 105 points, the same amount of points that won the metro. Their reward? They got to start their playoff series on the road. They didn’t receive any sympathy, Bettman has even made jokes about it. Would be nice to see them benefit from it this year
When Toronto had 105 points in 2018 they still finished 3rd in the Atlantic and had to start the playoffs on the road. Pittsburgh finished with 100 points and 2nd in the Metropolitan and had home ice in the first round. I don't remember anyone saying that wasn't fair to Toronto the way they are about Carolina today.

Reactions: Palio

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

"They only got in because of loser points and because they had the greatest luck with injuries of any team in history."

They're pacing for 97 points. Has a 97 point team ever missed the playoffs in the history of the NHL?
What everyone forgets about 2017 is the Leafs finished tied with the same amount of points the Bruins had which was 95. Plus they had won the regular season series against them 4-0, however the Bruins got 3rd in the Atlantic and the Leafs were the #2 Wild Card since they had less ROW wins because that was the tiebreaker.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
When Toronto had 105 points in 2018 they still finished 3rd in the Atlantic and had to start the playoffs on the road. Pittsburgh finished with 100 points and 2nd in the Metropolitan and had home ice in the first round. I don't remember anyone saying that wasn't fair to Toronto the way they are about Carolina today.

I actually remember a ton of Leafs fans saying it wasn't fair they had to play Boston. Then they said it again the next season. And now you are complaining about it now and have been complaining about it a lot.

Edit: and your next post is complaining about the year before because the tiebreaker the league has always used effected your team

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I actually remember a ton of Leafs fans saying it wasn't fair they had to play Boston. Then they said it again the next season. And now you are complaining about it now and have been complaining about it a lot.
What I mean is I don't remember any Leafs fans starting a thread about it on here the way some Carolina fans complaining about how Toronto had less points (They are now 1 point ahead of Carolina) and they might miss the playoffs.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
What I mean is I don't remember any Leafs fans starting a thread about it on here the way some Carolina fans complaining about how Toronto had less points (They are now 1 point ahead of Carolina) and they might miss the playoffs.

1 point behind with 2 games in hand. Lucky for leafs fans that they use the new playoff format. Back when it was the 3 division winners in each conference and then the next 5 teams made it based off records, the leafs would be in a real race with Carolina right now.

Luckily for them, they only have to battle with the perennial underachieving Panthers.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006

97 points wouldn't have been enough to move on in the East last season. 98 points was the cut-off.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Edit: and your next post is complaining about the year before because the tiebreaker the league has always used effected your team
It's still true that the tiebreaker was a factor and I only pointed that out since Toronto won all 4 games against Boston in the regular season that year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
1 point behind with 2 games in hand. Lucky for leafs fans that they use the new playoff format. Back when it was the 3 division winners in each conference and then the next 5 teams made it based off records, the leafs would be in a real race with Carolina right now.

Luckily for them, they only have to battle with the perennial underachieving Panthers.
So if anything the Carolina fans should be upset with Bettman or the owners who wanted this Wild Card system. If the NHL made it where the top 4 teams in each division make the playoffs it would have been what they use to do until 1993.

Also it's not like Carolina didn't benefit from the 1-8 system when they happen to finish 1st in the Southeast Division, get the 3rd seed and still have less points than the #4 seed. In 2002 that happened when they finished with 91 points and Toronto had 100 points. That meant when they played Toronto in the Eastern Conference Final that year they had home ice advantage.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
It's still true that the tiebreaker was a factor and I only pointed that out since Toronto won all 4 games against Boston in the regular season that year.

Of course the tie-breaker was a factor, they were tied. The Bruins had 3 more ROW which was the Tie-breaker. So they won the tiebreaker. Is this somehow unfair to the leafs that they followed the rule book?

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
So if anything the Carolina fans should be upset with Bettman or the owners who wanted this Wild Card system. If the NHL made it where the top 4 teams in each division make the playoffs it would have been what they use to do until 1993.

Also it's not like Carolina didn't benefit from the 1-8 system when they happen to finish 1st in the Southeast Division, get the 3rd seed and still have less points than the #4 seed. In 2002 that happened when they finished with 91 points and Toronto had 100 points. That meant when they played Toronto in the Eastern Conference Final that year they had home ice advantage.

I've seen you bring up this series from 18 years ago a bunch of times to try and make this point.

Did you realize that Carolina won EVERY game played in Toronto in that series?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Of course the tie-breaker was a factor, they were tied. The Bruins had 3 more ROW which was the Tie-breaker. So they won the tiebreaker. Is this somehow unfair to the leafs that they followed the rule book?
I just can't remember a time when any team wins all games in a regular season series, gets with the same amount of points and finishes behind them in the standings due to a tiebreaker. So your looking way to deep into what I'm saying.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I've seen you bring up this series from 18 years ago a bunch of times to try and make this point.

Did you realize that Carolina won EVERY game played in Toronto in that series?
Yes I know Carolina won all the playoff games in Toronto that year. My point is after the first round of the playoffs under the old 1-8 system they shouldn't have had home ice anymore.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
With some, no credit can ever be given. They could win the cup and I am sure some would find a way to say it’s not as valuable as usual because refs or something.
Best post I've seen on HF in the past 6 months was something along the lines of, "if the Leafs don't win two cups with this core they're a huge failure"

The usual suspects never fail to amaze.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Yes I know Carolina won all the playoff games in Toronto that year. My point is after the first round of the playoffs under the old 1-8 system they shouldn't have had home ice anymore.

They played a team in the second round who finished with less points then them.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
No one else is good enough in the division and Florida can’t do **** when it matters, Bobrovsky stinks.
Toronto will make the playoffs in a walk even if they don’t have a good record

Atlantic sucks
The Leafs (3rd in the Atlantic with 70 points) would be first in the division if they were in the Pacific (ahead of the Canucks). Florida (currently 10th in the East) would have the first wildcard spot if they played in the West.

If we are talking about undeserving teams making the playoffs with garbage records it isn’t Atlantic teams we should be looking at.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
So when they played Toronto in the Conference Final they should have not had home ice due to having 9 less points than them in the regular season.

But they won every single game they played in Toronto so home-ice didn't matter

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I'll admit the current playoff format is wonky.
But the leafs have had both sides of it.
They had no reason playing boston last two years both teams finished really high in the standings.

Now that it favours the leafs its outrageous ofc. It is what it is and you move on. It's one thing for the leafs to reap all the rewards from it but that's clearly not the case. Finish strong and make the playoff everyone's had shit to deal with. Theres still a lot of games left.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Since Toronto won their previous 2 series that year with home ice maybe that would have made a difference.

Again. They lost all of there home games in that series. I'm not sure giving them another would have helped them. They scored 6 goals in a 6 game series. 2 goals total at home. I don't think you should be blaming home-ice.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
They also don't have to play the Bruins or Tampa, or teams in the Metro as often. The East is way tougher. I mean, we are 8-3-1 vs the Pacific this year.

The Atlantic is 54-26-10 against the Pacific. Remove Boston and Tampa, plus keep the bad teams you mention, they are still 37-25-9. So, that Atlantic even without its two best teams is playing a 96 point pace over 82 games vs the Pacific. Overall, the Pacific is playing at a 77 point pace vs the Atlantic. And you are trying to call out the Atlantic for being weak?

Seriously lol. If only the Leafs were lucky to play in a division like the Pacific.

Leafs could end up with 100+ points and still not even get close to home ice advantage.
They have been playing at a 110 point pace since Keefe was hired in Game 23.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad