Will the Panthers let the Leafs make the playoffs?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Again. They lost all of there home games in that series. I'm not sure giving them another would have helped them. They scored 6 goals in a 6 game series. 2 goals total at home. I don't think you should be blaming home-ice.
Two of those games they lost in overtime. The other game they lost 3-0, however they had 31 shots on net and more dangerous scoring chances compared to just 15 shots total for Carolina. So they were extremely unlucky to not win those games.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Two of those games they lost in overtime. The other game they lost 3-0, however they had 31 shots on net and more dangerous scoring chances compared to just 15 shots total for Carolina. So they were extremely unlucky to not win those games.

Or. Hear me out. They ran into a hot goal tender and lost and no amount of going back and trying to change the rule book to your benefit would have helped.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
Dude I just watched the game. Are they normally more controlled? Because they were hard to watch. Like chickens with their heads cut off bad.
Their talent can overpower teams in the regular season but god help them in the playoffs.

Dude, if you think that was anywhere remotely close to resembling "run and gun" hockey, I have no idea what to tell you.

Allowing 27 shots and 2 goals against ain't "run and gun".

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
Dude, if you think that was anywhere remotely close to resembling "run and gun" hockey, I have no idea what to tell you.

Allowing 27 shots and 2 goals against ain't "run and gun".
It was though. No one was covering their man. Nobody was staying in position. It looked like peewee hockey. Just because Ottawa’s offence is led by the mighty JG Pageau and the enigmatic Duclair doesn’t mean Toronto did well to hold the Sens to 27 shots. They looked horrific.

Reactions: dukeofjive

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
It was though. No one was covering their man. Nobody was staying in position. It looked like peewee hockey. Just because Ottawa’s offence is led by the mighty JG Pageau and the enigmatic Duclair doesn’t mean Toronto did well to hold the Sens to 27 shots. They looked horrific.

They looked horrific because they are a pretty bad team. That has literally nothing to do with playing "run and gun" hockey. Perhaps you think that term means something other than what it actually means.

By the way, Ottawa averages 30 shots and 2.62 goals per game. So holding them to 27 shots and 2 goals is the exact opposite of "run and gun" or "horrific".

The Leafs did better defensively against the Sens than the majority of the league does. We don't have to rely on our perceptions of a game we watched on TV because we have actual statistics.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I think this is the right mindset. With all the agita the Leafs have gone through this season, getting out of the 1st round by beating the Bruins should make the whole Eastern Conference nervous. The ONLY thing that could stifle that progress would be getting swept in the 2nd round.

As an Isles fan I'm not going to root for them but they've been a fascinating (and polarizing) franchise the past couple of years.

And if they lose to Boston again, then what's the point?

I think after a while, Leafs fans should want to play Tampa- you think they're gotten bored of Boston?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Unless the Leafs try as hard as they do right now to still somehow eff it up.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Anderson made all kinds of saves in that one.....and Leafs still gave up 5
That’s about as bad as I’ve seen them play this year. And they still had a chance to win until partway through the third. Pitiful effort.
Andersen was not the problem

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
That’s about as bad as I’ve seen them play this year. And they still had a chance to win until partway through the third. Pitiful effort.
Andersen was not the problem
The problem was they ran out of gas, it was their 3rd game in 4 nights and just after they tied the game, they took a penalty, which was a marginal call and the result was a power play goal that took the wind out of their sails and 2 more quick goals.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
The amount of standing around right off the drop of the puck was alarming, to say the least. Buffalo toyed with us.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
The problem was they ran out of gas, it was their 3rd game in 4 nights and just after they tied the game, they took a penalty, which was a marginal call and the result was a power play goal that took the wind out of their sails and 2 more quick goals.
There wasn’t any wind in the sails to begin the game lol. But yes I agree. The penalties didn’t help.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
I believe only Ottawa Detroit and New Jersey have more goals against. Tough to make the playoffs like that but they do have the fire power to overcome that goals against I suppose. Come playoffs tho and it’s over.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
There wasn’t any wind in the sails to begin the game lol. But yes I agree. The penalties didn’t help.
There was some wind in their sails when they tied the game, there was clear momentum that was lost from the penalty, that was the TSN turning point of the game.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
There was some wind in their sails when they tied the game, there was clear momentum that was lost from the penalty, that was the TSN turning point of the game.
Yes I agree. They found their spark and were starting to take it to buffalo, but it went away after the chincy calls

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
So if anything the Carolina fans should be upset with Bettman or the owners who wanted this Wild Card system. If the NHL made it where the top 4 teams in each division make the playoffs it would have been what they use to do until 1993.

Also it's not like Carolina didn't benefit from the 1-8 system when they happen to finish 1st in the Southeast Division, get the 3rd seed and still have less points than the #4 seed. In 2002 that happened when they finished with 91 points and Toronto had 100 points. That meant when they played Toronto in the Eastern Conference Final that year they had home ice advantage.

You don’t feel like there is a difference in importance between being given a higher playoff seed w home ice despite having lower points vs not making the playoffs at all when you have more points than the 8th seed?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Leafs left the door open just a crack for Florida last nighht, when they quit in that 3rd period because that is what happened they quit, except Muzzin he never quits.

Had Toronto won, or even gotten a point I would have said it was probably over but hey didn't and the door is now slightly open.

I won't say it's wide open because they still have to make up 4 points and that's no easy this time of year but it's not closed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad