Will the Habs fire their GM?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
People are too negative here. I think they might very well extend Bergervin. Everyone is mad that the habs were eliminated in the playoffs but just look at the progress

- The team Bergervin put together post deadline dominated the Rangers in the game and only a vezina quality effort from Lundqvuist beat them.
- Bergervin upgraded the coach - a gutsy but smart move
- They have a prospect pool that is the envy of many GMs (sergachev, etc)
- Bergervin added a ton of character, grit, size and veteran experience. There is more to do here but Habs are not the laughing stock for being small, soft players.

Give this a week to blow over and doubters will realize it was Lundqvuist and not anything else was the big problem. Keep with the plan and stick to the process

Our prospect pool isn't good and our player development is even worse. If our prospect pool is the envy of many GMs than those GMs are stupid.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
IMO, the PK Subban debacle and firing Michel Therrien anyways is enough for me to have fired him if I was in Molson's shoes. You don't trade a young mobile defenseman for a good defenseman that is about to hit 32 years (31 at the time). The fact that he made this move and then lacked the self-awareness to find ways to make his team better, especially in center and scoring depth, speaks to his incompetence as a GM.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Bergevin sold himself as the internal development guy from the beginning. Under his watch Montreal nose-dived from being a relatively good drafting and developing team (albeit on that traded too many picks to really take advantage of it) to being horrid at it. Only one lineup player came up to the big team through the AHL squad in Beaulieu and only two players drafted under his watch play with the NHL team (Galchenyuk and Lehkonen). On the terms he asked to be judged by, his tenure has been an utter failure.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
People are too negative here. I think they might very well extend Bergervin. Everyone is mad that the habs were eliminated in the playoffs but just look at the progress

- The team Bergervin put together post deadline dominated the Rangers in the game and only a vezina quality effort from Lundqvuist beat them.
- Bergervin added a ton of character, grit, size and veteran experience. There is more to do here but Habs are not the laughing stock for being small, soft players.

Give this a week to blow over and doubters will realize it was Lundqvuist and not anything else was the big problem. Keep with the plan and stick to the process

Honestly can't think of anyone your prospect pool is the envy of. Maybe like the top 2 or 3 teams in the league that have absolutely nothing left in the pipeline? If you can name one then immediately move on to the always overrated etc then it's probably not very good.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
That franchise is absolutely in one of the worst positions going forward. They have no great prospects, lineup full of grinders. Not one elite piece. The problem is they keep making the playoffs and it seems that's all that counts to Molson.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
That franchise is absolutely in one of the worst positions going forward. They have no great prospects, lineup full of grinders. Not one elite piece. The problem is they keep making the playoffs and it seems that's all that counts to Molson.

And Carey Price should keep them in the playoffs with his extension and put them in the 18-25 draft range for awhile.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
And Carey Price should keep them in the playoffs with his extension and put them in the 18-25 draft range for awhile.

What makes you think that he'll stay with the Habs? You would think at this point that he's starting to lose patience with this organization.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, he got to be let go. The team has one of the top 2 goalies in the league in Price and they're wasting his talent.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
It's hard to understand how anyone could rally behind Bergevin at this point in time, let alone have even a semblance of optimism for his future designs on this club. The day I no longer have to view his gaudy suits will be a better one for humanity..

Our prospect pool isn't good and our player development is even worse. If our prospect pool is the envy of many GMs than those GMs are stupid.

The irony of this post is certainly not lost on me

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal

Agreed. People are beyond overreacting right now. Overall he's done a good job since he got here. He hit some homeruns with some moves and swung out with others, but that's to be expected.

Maybe if guys like Galchenyuk and Beaulieu focused as much on being hockey players as they do on partying we would be talking about beating Ottawa tomorrow night instead of this.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
The Habs are turning in circles since he arrived.The worst GM since Rejean Houle.

Bergevin is the worst Habs GM EVER.

The idiot just closed our Cup window with that trade, and then instead of going all in decided to acquire a couple of 4th liners and decimated our offense even more.

As far as I am concerned, the Subban trade is the worst in franchise history. At least the team had won 2 Cups with Roy before trading him. Now after 25 years and closer to the Cup than ever post-1993, Bergevin decides to **** everything up by trading the playoff warrior of the team. Well, this trade will be the reason why the Habs will be blown up only 1 year after the "experiment".

My mind is blown how the guy is still a GM. If he's back, I'm just going to go and support Nashville. I can't watch the guy, I can't smell the guy, I can't stand the guy. He disgusts me.

Last edited:

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
The inability to develop young players is the franchise's biggest weakness right now. Galchenyuk should be the team's number one centre, but his development has been managed horribly. Some of that is on him, but a lot rests with management. Beaulieu is another guy who should be much better than he is. He has the tools to be a good NHL defenceman, but in the game six he was a healthy scratch for Brendan Davidson.

The track record of players coming out the AHL the last five years is horrible. Brendan Gallagher is the only player on the team to spend time there since Bergevin came on board to actually turn into a good player, and he only spent half a season there. Bergevin keeps trading draft picks for depth pieces because the youngsters coming up haven't been able to stick with the team. Take Charles Hudon — he's been in the AHL for three seasons now and his numbers haven't improved, and he hasn't looked all that great when called up. He should be an NHLer by now.

There's enough good pieces on the team to keep us competitive, and as long as Price is around, Montreal will be a playoff team.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Bergevin is the worst Habs GM EVER.

The idiot just closed our Cup window with that trade, and then instead of going all in decided to acquire a couple of 4th liners and decimated our offense even more.

As far as I am concerned, the Subban trade is the worst in franchise history. At least the team had won 2 Cups with Roy before trading him. Now after 25 years and closer to the Cup than ever post-1993, Bergevin decides to **** everything up by trading the playoff warrior of the team. Well, this trade will be the reason why the Habs will be blown up only 1 year after the "experiment".

My mind is blown how the guy is still a GM. If he's back, I'm just going to go and support Nashville. I can't watch the guy, I can't smell the guy, I can't stand the guy. He disgusts me.

Ahh...to be young again. How cute if you think he's the worst. If you have lived through the Roy fiasco period you would understand true incompetence.
Course, if you have been old enough when that happened...well I'm truly sorry but I can't help you there...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad